Forcing yourself to eat

Options
So since i'm new to the recording everything you eat thing...I'm a little confused...

There are so many times when I'm at the 900 calorie mark, and i'm just not hungry anymore. Am I supposed to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry?

MFP says I should be consuming 1610 calories (more if I work out that day) but i just cant sit there and shove food in my mouth when i'm not feeling it.

It also takes me a long time to digest foods. It could takes me 4-6 hours (the longest time was 11 hours) to digest a meal when my husband is ready to eat again in an hour or so. I don't eat foods that are high in fat, so that isn't the issue - that's just always been the case. So that factors in to my not feeling like eating 1600 calories for the day.

Replies

• islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started with this prob but it's getting better. The key is to eat higher calorie foods like avocados and nuts, and eat smaller meals spaced out throughout the day.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You should gradually increase it.. It's very important to start eating more in this case if you've always eaten that little. But don't suddenly stuff another 700 calories in your body. But try to gradually increase it with things that have some calories, but not necessarily fill you up. A drink such as milk or fruit juice easily packs 100 calories a glass, without immediately overstuffing you.

Try to gradually increase your foodintake with just 50 calories a day until you reach your goal. Be aware that the scale may show a weight increase at first, but after a few weeks your body will adjust and you'll start losing weight and inches!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd try to at least get over 1200 each day as a minimum.

A glass of milk or fruit juice can add a useful extra 100 calories, and shouldn't be too hard to digest.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Sometimes it's easier to get extra calories in in liquid form. Make a smoothie or something with whole milk (since you are trying to get more calories - whole would make more sense than skim). Or, you can make a "melty root beer float" out of diet root beer and heavy whipping cream.
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about not making the 1600 calories a day. I usually eat about half my allowance unless I have fish and meat on the same day.
    The fact my allowance is about a third more than yours tells me that you don't weigh and/or aren't as tall as me. so have less to lose. Once you start losing weight your allowance will start to go down a little bit anyway so if you continue to aim for 1100-1200 calories a day you will be uing 3/4 of your allowance initially and then a bigger percentage as your allowance starts to be reduced.

The suggestion of orange and milk are very good. I would ty and see what you burn in calories when you excercise and then replace half those calories using one of those methods.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The milk suggestion is a good one, or maybe something with peanut butter, some almonds and dried fruit, etc. On future days, though, I would really try to focus on spacing out the calories more, across the day. If you regularly get that few calories, you may set yourself up for a binge or just general bad choices, or just to feel tired and grouchy, etc.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This happens to me...when I mentioned it I basically got abused by people telling me I had a disorder. the more I tried to make them understand, the worse they got...I had to block someone as they were sending me nasty messages!
    I hope you don't get the same treatment I did.
    I think we all digest differently, as we are all different in every way. You have to listen to your body and do what's right for you. Try to eat food that is high quality and nutritionally dense. At least that way you are getting all of the nutrients you need,
    good luck!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I found myself in a similar situation. I've been eating 1300 calories a day for 15 months, losing weight at a slow and steady pace with an understanding of the calories involved in what I'm eating, and how many I used doing my daily exercise. I joined MFP when I added further exercise and knew I'd need to re-learn my calorie limits. Turned out that with the extra and the MFP way of working, I'd have to be snacking to eat back my exercise calories.

After over a year of limiting my calories to the point where I didn't snack, trying to get back into snacking was incredibly tough. I wasn't hungry at the right times, and when I did snack I ended up too full for my proper meals. Then, I had a day when I couldn't exercise and I realised I was really hungry not being able to snack. I'd adjusted to snacking properly. Now, my body seems to cope fine whether I'm snacking or not on a specific day. I still need to force it occasionally, but I've definitely adjusted.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Are you properly measuring things out? Measuring cups and spoons and a kitchen scale? A lot of the time what we think is a portion is actually larger than it should be and therefore we are eating more calories than we are logging.

Try measuring everything if you aren't already. My measuring cups, spoons and kitchen scale sit on my counter now. If you aren't currently measuring everything out you may be eating more calories than logging.

Try to eat more... Definately not all that good to be eating so low under your calorie goal. Your body needs so many calories just to function and if you aren't eating that amount it may not be healthy. Change any low fat or fat free/low calorie things you eat to higher calorie versions to help increase the amount you are eating.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    your profile says you want to have a baby-- you're going to have to give the baby proper nutrition while you're pregnant, so this is good practice. It doesn't have to be about volume. You can make it about quality food that is calorie/nutrient dense. Your body is probably used to eating so little, but that doesn't make it healthy. Use the suggestions here and get those numbers up. I like to sip on a glass of naked juice in the morning-- it's a kind of thick fruit smoothie drink and it's 150 cals per 8 oz. I don't have to gorge myself on food to reach my calorie allowance.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    This happens to me...when I mentioned it I basically got abused by people telling me I had a disorder. the more I tried to make them understand, the worse they got...I had to block someone as they were sending me nasty messages!
    I hope you don't get the same treatment I did.
    I think we all digest differently, as we are all different in every way. You have to listen to your body and do what's right for you. Try to eat food that is high quality and nutritionally dense. At least that way you are getting all of the nutrients you need,
    good luck!

That sounds awful! If someone really did have an eating disorder, sending them hateful messages would probably make the disorder worse...

I agree that you should try to hit as many nutritional goals as you can. I find that I feel good if I can get enough fiber, protein, water, etc.

I can't really comment too much about how to eat more if you're not hungry, because I haven't ran into that problem.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So since i'm new to the recording everything you eat thing...I'm a little confused...

There are so many times when I'm at the 900 calorie mark, and i'm just not hungry anymore. Am I supposed to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry?

MFP says I should be consuming 1610 calories (more if I work out that day) but i just cant sit there and shove food in my mouth when i'm not feeling it.

It also takes me a long time to digest foods. It could takes me 4-6 hours (the longest time was 11 hours) to digest a meal when my husband is ready to eat again in an hour or so. I don't eat foods that are high in fat, so that isn't the issue - that's just always been the case. So that factors in to my not feeling like eating 1600 calories for the day.
    When you were fat, you didn't feel like eating right or exercising, and neither did I.

That's irrelevant.
    Yes, force yourself to eat.
    Eat to goal. If you don't, you're engaging in a typical form of self-sabotage, and you will fail.
    Don't let this happen!
    Eat to goal every day.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Have you always been like this? Have you had a chat with your doctor?
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Have you always been like this? Have you had a chat with your doctor?

Congragulations:flowerforyou: