Does it matter what time of day you work out?

Options
I am doing Ripped in 30. I've been doing it after my youngest goes to bed, which is usually between 9 and 9:30pm. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems with my sleep patterns, but does it matter when it comes to burning calories and my daily food intake?

On another note, I am up 2 pounds since starting R30, and I'm on day 4. WTH? I was feeling really good about my weight loss but now I'm a bit bummed. I was hoping to never see 170 again. :(

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking more water because you're exercising, you're keeping water weight. Don't use the scale, use the mirror and body measurements to show how you're doing. Also, I wouldn't weigh yourself everyday since weight tends to fluxuate.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard hours. 11pm-7am. Most of my work outs are done at 2AM. All of my weight loss has been like this. It does not matter.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it after my youngest goes to bed, which is usually between 9 and 9:30pm. does it matter when it comes to burning calories and my daily food intake?

No it doesn't matter when you work out
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    really? I'd be interested if anyone else has a different opinion. I may be wrong but I was told not to exercise after 8pm at night.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That's because exercise can disrupt sleep patterns. If she's not having a problem sleeping, then there is no problem.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    really? I'd be interested if anyone else has a different opinion. I may be wrong but I was told not to exercise after 8pm at night.

by who? and what was his/her reasoning?

again all of my weight loss has been while working graveyard hours. I have an erratic sleep sechdule so I sometimes work mornings but I'd say 80% of my workouts are done at 2AM because it's what works for me with my job and life.
  • Mindyana
    Options
    I don't think it really matters what time of day you work out... the good thing is you're getting exercise.

Personally i have to work out first thing in the morning, purely because the longer i leave it the less motivation i have to go to the gym. Somehow first thing in the morning i manage to jump out of bed and head out the door. By the end of the day after works etc, i'm just exhausted and just want to relax and put my feet up.

The other plus point for me is that i then feel great about it all day and i have more energy generally.
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    the reasoning was because of sleep patterns. I guess if you are working night shift your body clock may be different. Like I said I could be wrong, thats why I wanted to see if anyone said anything different. Ive read heaps of info on here and get so confused with everything that sometimes its all very contradictory.

Im just trying to get the good info so I can succeed.

Its all good.
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    It can disrupt sleep patterns, but if that's not a problem for you then go for it!

Also, are you weighing yourself in the morning? If you've just started exercising late in the evening, you may be retaining water by the morning, as sore muscles retain water to heal themselves.

GIve it some time and stick with it. Drink lots of water, because the more water you drink the less your body thinks you need to retain! Stick with it and the scale will go down :-)
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    the reasoning was because of sleep patterns. I guess if you are working night shift your body clock may be different. Like I said I could be wrong, thats why I wanted to see if anyone said anything different. Ive read heaps of info on here and get so confused with everything that sometimes its all very contradictory.

Im just trying to get the good info so I can succeed.

Its all good.

I think the main problem is that sites like this are full with people giving excellent advice that works for them and for many others. Sometimes that advice is contradictory but not necessarily wrong.

If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't then find another way. Many of the MFP members are very experienced in their weight loss journey. You, on the other hand is an expert in your body. You will know what feels right and what doesn't. Take the advice from people on here and see what works for you.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If that's the time of day you're free to work out, then that's the best time of day for you.:wink: Really, it's better than not fitting it in at all. Lots of people insist that I should work out first thing in the morning. But I can't function in the early morning! So I do it late afternoon and am happy!
  • gonnaloseitforever
    Options
    Ok, I won't worry about the time of day I work out then. Honestly, I think I'm actually sleeping better, I wake up feeling more refreshed. And this is the first morning I've woken up without being really sore, so I think that is a good sign.

I think I'm going to up my calorie intake and water consumption for a few days, see if that makes a difference. I don't think I'm eating enough, especially since I'm exercising now. I also want to add in some heavy lifting, I'll be starting that soon. I'm pretty excited!

I do weigh myself every morning at the same time. I know I probably shouldn't, but it's a compulsion. It's only a bad thing on the days I am up on my weight though. ;)