Food scale...Do you weigh your portions?

Options

Replies

• leafygreensforme
    leafygreensforme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't thank you all enough for your posts...I'm super motivated to get a food scale and start weighing...
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I can't thank you all enough for your posts...I'm super motivated to get a food scale and start weighing...

Great decision!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I measure cup or measure spoon almost everything. Just because when I started I used my measuring cups as spoons, so now it's habit. I don't measure veggies. I can eat as much of those as I want. I will weigh meat sometimes just to reinforce my eyeball. If it's some new meat, I will weigh to get a sense of portion size. We buy a huge pork tenderloin and cut it into chops. I will measure one and eyeball the rest.

I don't need to measure my intake and expenditures down to the very calorie. I didn't get fat because two slices of bread was 2.3 servings. I got fat because my toast was dripping with margarine.
  • getfitjourney
    getfitjourney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do weigh everything I eat. i have a weight watchers digital scale in the kitchen that has earned its keep. You can find digital skills in stores very easily these days. they are very helpful expecially since you can weigh the ounces or grams. I prefer to measure in grams since that is what I find on the nutritional facts of most things I eat. I find measuring keeps the guess away. This helps to keep me righ on target with the recommended totals on my fitness pal. *Karen*
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly everything.. That food scale was the best $18 I ever spent. Im even going to Walmart next week and getting another one to keep on hand because I rely on my scale for almost every meal.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes. No under or overestimations.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The battery in my scales just ran out and I am lost without it! So yes, I weigh pretty much everything unless it says on the box
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yup. I weigh meats, mostly, since they don't have a label. You can estimate, sure, but it's too easy to underestimate how much a cutlet weighs and consume 10 oz rather than 5. Big difference!
    I got a really cute scale that I use allllll the time.
    I have this one in pistachio! :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Mechanical-Kitchen-Precision-Measuring/dp/B006WBKTLQ/ref=sr_1_58?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1327242125&sr=1-58
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure carbs and proteins, but estimate veggies. I was wayyyyyyy off before I started doing this, by the way. Enough to seriously dent my presumed deficit.
  • rcheesley
    rcheesley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I only weigh things when I am not using the entire quantity of a packet or an obvious measurable quantity - e.g. 1 kiev, 2 oatcakes etc. and I don't have a good idea of how much I'm using. I have to say this is very rare.

I don't find it particularly helpful for my own sanity if I am constantly faffing about trying to weigh every item I want to eat - I barely have enough time to prepare food! I simply enter the portion size on the phone app and for things like pasta/rice/quinoa I would just use the same amount that I always use, which I know the approximate weight for.

I then look at how this has affected my calorie allowance and adjust what I eat in the rest of the day accordingly. May not work for everyone but it works fine for me!

Ruth
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't, lol. I read the packages and guesstimate. I'm the type who would go completely OCD if I did measure, so I just go with it. Lost 19 lbs., so I guess I'm ok!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You should to learn how much 4 oz actually is for awhile, then can eye ball it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yes, I LOVE my food scale! At this point I am great at eyeballing (eyeballed an ounce of beef jerky, and weighed it at 1.1oz) but I still think it's fun to weigh it. :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale 3 months after my started my journey and it was a great buy. I was eating a lot less than what I was logging in. I weigh my meat after it's cooked, chips and a few other things.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure everything (pretty much). I hit a plateau and even gained for months back and forth, back and forth. Since I started weighing/measuring, I feel so much more confident. Overestimating had me eating too little calories, underestimating made me gain weight. Now I am losing at a steady rate again. And I am also varying my calorie intake daily.
  • ctinkler
    Options
    I weigh things I don't know. For things I eat regularly I know how much xyz of abc looks like, but every now and again just do a double-check to make sure I'm not imagining that my 15g of Philadelphia cream cheese (for example) isn't the half a tub I'd like to put on my warbuton's thin :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I use my food scale to weigh everything, and I use measuring cups to measure everything. It absolutely has made a difference!
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I weigh & measure EVERYTHING or it doesn't go in my mouth, except if on a rare occasion I eat out at a restaurant. However, I typically go online ahead of time so I can plan ahead. I also plan my menu out the night before for the next day & pack breakfast, 4 snacks & a lunch. It is work, but it works for me.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weigh things like cheese, meats, and pastas. For veggies and fruit I go by the cup/size depending on the vegetable. I love my food scale.
  • Jeannemum
    Options
    I tend to weigh calorie high foods, but not salad veg (lettuce etc) I just weighed 100g potato. Have you any idea how little there is? :grumble: