GET MAD!!!

I have decided to get angry at all the big lies in advertising. I am also trying to explain this to my 14-year old, who loves fast food. You CANNOT eat McDonald's, or any other burgers and fries and gerneral crapola, on a daily basis and look like the people on TV who advertise for those places. If they are eating there every day, they are eating the salads and having the iced tea!!! It is a big lie, and now that I have realized it and gotten pretty mad about it, it has been much easier to steer clear of those places. It makes me wonder if thee big corporations own a fast food chain under one name and a weight-loss solution under another name so they can get the profits no matter what!

Thanks for letting me vent...

Replies

• time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    I have decided to get angry at all the big lies in advertising. I am also trying to explain this to my 14-year old, who loves fast food. You CANNOT eat McDonald's, or any other burgers and fries and gerneral crapola, on a daily basis and look like the people on TV who advertise for those places. If they are eating there every day, they are eating the salads and having the iced tea!!! It is a big lie, and now that I have realized it and gotten pretty mad about it, it has been much easier to steer clear of those places. It makes me wonder if thee big corporations own a fast food chain under one name and a weight-loss solution under another name so they can get the profits no matter what!

Thanks for letting me vent...
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    LOL!!!
    You are so absolutely right to be angry.
    The more we all realize what needs to be changed in our own habits on an individual basis the more chains of restaraunts will have to work for our business if they really want it.

Do beware though that most restaraunts use a sulfite water mixture to wash the vegetables so they stay looking fresh longer. If you are allergic to them you may already know this.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'M MAD WITH YOU!!!

How dare they put skinny b!tches on fastfood ads eating a double whopper, large fries & coke!!!
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Thanks Eve for the sulphite information. I didn't know that... guess that cuts out most options at fast food!
    Although I find most places will do a grilled chicken and exchange the mayo for mustard (much better option for low cal.) if you ask.
  • SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    You might want to rent "Supersize Me" and have your daughter watch it. A man goes on a McDonalds only diet for 30 days and almost completely ruins his health.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I have been angry since I saw Supersize Me. Luckily, this anger has helped me to avoid McDonalds.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Especially the DVD extra with the "indestructable fries".

I'm an American living in Canada, and the saturation of TV ads for fast food is much higher on the American stations I receive than the Canadian networks, but they still feature incredibly fit people eating food they would probably never (or very rarely) eat in real life.

And Eve, thanks for the sulfite info...I'm sensitive to them as well, so now I know why the ocassional fast food salad is giving me a migraine! Mystery solved.
  • lotusfromthemud
    hey, sugarbear...great minds think alike. ;)
  • Healthier_Me
    I've seen that Supersize Me show when it was on tv.
    It's a good thing to watch if you don't think fatsfoods are harmless to your health.
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    DO tell! I wanna know about the indestructible fries!~!!~~!~!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Morgan Spurlock, who made the film, did an experiment with McDonald's food and diner versions of the food. Essentially, he left them in glass jars to see how long it would take them to spoil/rot/do what food is supposed to do if just left in a glass jar.

The McDonalds fries still looked exactly the same after several months, whatever chemicals do that to food have no business in our bodies! Yikes! The other McDonalds food fared similarly.

I once asked a nutritionist friend if she had to give someone advice that would change their lives in one sentence. Here's what she said: "eat food that rots." That is, natural food that is not made to last for years on a shelf.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    marketing is simply designed for companies to sell more product and make more money. i know a woman that recently had lypo done and after a month she commented that she was a whole size smaller and still did not have a boyfriend. that is what marketing does. psychologically the subliminals are if i eat there, i will look like that or if i buy that perfume i will attract a man like that. we have to be able to think for ourselves. so its good that you are talking to your children about things like that.
  • time2wrk
    I think it finally hit home when a woman I work with was in the car next to me and waved as she was nibbling on her BROCCOLI. I realized, she is a size 2 because SHE WORKS AT IT. She doesn't eat at Mickey D's, she goes to the gym, she eats well. She is not just "born lucky". ALthough, yes, she is small framed, but the fact that she stays thin is because she takes care of herself. I was stuck in the mindset of some of us are lucky and naturally thin, but that percentage that can eat whatever they want and not workout and stay thin is much smaller than I used to think.

It is actually my son who is a junk food junkie, thanks for the advice on the movie, I will rent it for us to watch.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    We love restaurants in general - everything they offer is BUTTERED, or made with sugar, vegetable oil, or cream, and they give HUGE portions. The celebration of going out for a meal tricks us into thinking we can eat the WHOLE thing!

It is maddening.

~cm

Oh, and the Lane Bryant models that are shown in their ads seem to more of a size 8-10 than the PLUS sizes Lane Bryant sells. I used to complain about that all the time to the employees.
  • time2wrk
    Yeah, "plus size" is considered 12, I believe. Give me a break!

I have had some luck lately asking for steamed veggies in place of starch, but the butter thing is pretty insidious because you just can't be in the kitchen to watch the chef make each part of your meal. I have really cut back on eating our at restaurants because of that. This time of year, crock pot cooking seems to work well, since I choose what is in it and I got a HUGE crock pot to make enough for leftovers. (SOMEtimes...I have 2 teenage boys, so sometimes there is nothing left at all.) If I can make things healthy AND yummy, that really helps.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    I just found that McDonalds back in 2002 announced they would eliminate trans fat. Some time in 2008, it might actually happen.

They stopped using trans fat in New York City and Philadelphia after laws were passed. The rest of us still are being sold heart disease causing grease.

I emailed McDonalds to let know my disappointment, and refusal to patronize.

See bantransfats.com
  • lotusfromthemud
    I once taught an grade eight girl who was a model. She was a fit size 6-8, and was a "plus size" model.

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Gotta love crockpots!!
  • time2wrk
    What a timesaver they are, too! Throw the stuff in them in the morning, dinner's done in the evening and the whole house smells great! :-)
  • I'm currently reading a great book:

"The Omnivore's Dilemma: a natural history of four meals" by Michael Pollan

It talks about the way the American diet has come to be the way it is. The author personally explores why the US has such a surplus of corn, how the govenment subsidizes corn farmers, and how the big corporations develop new ways (chemicals) to use up the surplus of corn.

He follows corn from the field to the animal and to our plate. He also follows others meal items such as organic spring salad mixes as well as other things. Very interesting and educational with a real look at nutrition in general and in today's society.

A MUST READ!
  • time2wrk
    Thx! I read "Fast Food Nation"...I didn't eat merat for a month, but have now chosen to eat meat being very careful of the source. I need a new book to read, so I will look into this.