"But I worked so hard this week and gained?" Explained

Options
Dear Friends,

Please, please, please, please, please do two things. 1- Weigh in in the morning after you go to the bathroom for consistency purposes. 2- Only weigh in after a rest day.

To illustrate my point, I decided to conduct my entirely fool proof, and scientific experiment (that's sarcasm, by the way). I currently weigh 142.7lbs, and have received this number in the morning following a rest day (I've consistently been in the 142s for 2 weeks following rest day, not one fluke low number).

For kicks and giggles I decided to weigh in this morning, following 3 days of working out (cardio and lifting) in a row. Due to all the microtears I created in my muscles recently, my body is retaining water to repair them. That is why, when I stepped on the scale today (clad in a light t-shirt and leggings - it's cold!) the scale read 145lbs. No I did not gain 2.3lbs of fat in one week. My body is just repairing and getting stronger :)

PS - Lastly, please keep in mind the following if you are NEW to strength training. You, whom I greatly envy, are blessed by being in a magical time frame where your body is able to both build muscle and lose fat. It doesn't last too long, and you won't be able to build A LOT of muscle, but certainly some. Especially if you aren't obese, please put the scale away. There is far too much going on in your body and the scale isn't going to be very useful to do anything other than frustrate you. Pull out a tape measurer and a camera! And whatever you do, do not stop exercising to see if that makes the scale drop! If your eating is in check, you will be fine! The scale may show slow movement compared to those who diet alone. But when you only diet, you are losing both fat and lean muscle mass (which lean muscle mass helps you burn more calories a day by just living). It's better to lose weight slower if it's just fat loss and you can preserve that muscle!

Best!

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much. If you feel leaner, stronger and more fit. Be HAPPY. Remember, it is only a number.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much. If you feel leaner, stronger and more fit. Be HAPPY. Remember, it is only a number.

i think you need to read the original post a little closer.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    :love: this post :love:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    :drinker: THIS:drinker:
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Haha agreed ^^
  • hbrenegan
    Options
    Thank you! This was very helpful. I have been amping everything up, and my clothes are fitting looser, and I love the way I look, but some days the scale numbers are all over the place. This may be why! I will concentrate on the number *even less* than I do now. :)
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it when people weigh themselves daily or even more than 1x a week and say "but i'm not losing weight!". People become far too obsessed with the scale and they really need to stop it! Case in point: Staci on NerdFitness. She's 142 lbs (i think?) but has a very low bf%. Honestly, I wish we measured progress in body fat rather than weight. That's really what people should be focused on.
  • Finney88
    Finney88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This was EXACTLY what I needed to read this morning! Thank you! I didn't know about weighing after a rest day, and I was getting so frustrated that I was considering the no-exercise-just-cut-calories route. This has showed me that all the new strength training I'm doing will pay off!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    weeeeeeeeee!!!!!
    Yup.. I weigh in daily.. but i am startin to just not see the point anymore, I guess its just habit now. I have done it everyday for almost 3 years. The fluctuations dont bother me, because now I know my body :) I definitely know what you mean though. Been there.. with every weight loss program, p90x.. insanity.. (twice for each).. I would only lose 7 lbs for each program! but LOTS of inches! I just started Turbo fire 7 days ago!

Here are some of my results. I love to share them, especially in a post like this!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/twinmama1987
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options

i think you need to read the original post a little closer.

I think she was agreeing with OP...
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Were you in my house this am? Seriously, the similarities are ridiculous. I've just started to add strength training. I've been working hard for the last few days and what do you know! I've gained two pounds and now weigh 145. Stop stalking me, ok.

Actually thanks for the info. I wasn't freaking out or anything but it's good to keep in mind.

cheers
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! When I first started doing cardio and saw the scale go up, I was going insane! This is great explanation, thanks
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Woow....i didnt know that you should weigh yourself after a rest day......good info
  • 71camogirl
    Options
    Very helpful thanks.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Dear Friends,

Please, please, please, please, please do two things. 1- Weigh in in the morning after you go to the bathroom for consistency purposes. 2- Only weigh in after a rest day.

To illustrate my point, I decided to conduct my entirely fool proof, and scientific experiment (that's sarcasm, by the way). I currently weigh 142.7lbs, and have received this number in the morning following a rest day (I've consistently been in the 142s for 2 weeks following rest day, not one fluke low number).

For kicks and giggles I decided to weigh in this morning, following 3 days of working out (cardio and lifting) in a row. Due to all the microtears I created in my muscles recently, my body is retaining water to repair them. That is why, when I stepped on the scale today (clad in a light t-shirt and leggings - it's cold!) the scale read 145lbs. No I did not gain 2.3lbs of fat in one week. My body is just repairing and getting stronger :)

PS - Lastly, please keep in mind the following if you are NEW to strength training. You, whom I greatly envy, are blessed by being in a magical time frame where your body is able to both build muscle and lose fat. It doesn't last too long, and you won't be able to build A LOT of muscle, but certainly some. Especially if you aren't obese, please put the scale away. There is far too much going on in your body and the scale isn't going to be very useful to do anything other than frustrate you. Pull out a tape measurer and a camera! And whatever you do, do not stop exercising to see if that makes the scale drop! If your eating is in check, you will be fine! The scale may show slow movement compared to those who diet alone. But when you only diet, you are losing both fat and lean muscle mass (which lean muscle mass helps you burn more calories a day by just living). It's better to lose weight slower if it's just fat loss and you can preserve that muscle!

Best!

Thank you
    1 question: what do you mean by a rest day? No Exercise, and/or increase calories?
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options

This :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    1 question: what do you mean by a rest day? No Exercise, and/or increase calories?

Rest day = no exercise (maybe a light yoga session to stretch, but that's it)
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    Thank you for the awesome words of advice!
    Dear Friends,

Best!
  • alphabettie
    alphabettie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keeping in my topics, thanks!
  • monkeymouse74
    Options

This :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

And yet again,,, This^^^:heart::heart: