Weight Gain?

Options
Briefly, I'll explain my issue. I know this has been covered here before, sorry if it seems redundant.
My problem seemed a little different from what I found through searching the boards.

I finished 13 weeks of Turbo Fire last week and decided I wanted to change up my workout routine. I was getting a little bored and wanted something different. So I decided to do the C25K program. I used to be a big runner (former military) but haven't ran since I had back surgery about 7 years ago so I figured this program would be good to get me back into it.

I realized that the program is only 3 days a week so I decided to pull out some of my old Biggest Loser videos to do on my off days. So, last week I ran on Monday and Tuesday. It was week 2 of C25K and I also walk at an incline, speed 3.5, for 30 minutes when I finish. According to my Bodybugg I am burning between 400-450 calories for that hour.

On Wednesday I did the Biggest Loser Boot camp video, all 3 levels, so a total of 55 minutes. BB says I only burned about 290 calories. However, I woke up the next morning and my glutes and hamstrings were incredibly sore. BAD. I also had a 1 pound gain on the scale.
So I went back to the C25K and did it Thurs, Fri., and Sat. I'm still sore today from that damn video on Wednesday but not as bad. Stupid lunges. :devil:

However, this morning I weighed in and am 3 pounds more than I was on my Wednesday morning weigh in!
Okay, I did have wine last night. :grumble: 3 glasses.
But, according to my BB I have exceeded my calorie burn goal every single day this week and I have kept my deficit at around 800 calories.

So, knowing my history here...(sorry this is so long!) would you say that I am just retaining water from that workout still, plus a little water retention from the wine?
I know how to keep my calories in check. I've lost 27 pounds so far since October. This is just baffling to me. 3 pounds??? :noway:
Oh and I do drink approx 90 oz of water per day.

Ideas?
(Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I'm just really frustrated this morning. I've never had such a large gain.)

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Are you approaching your period?

Are your bowels regular?

Are you OD'ing on sodium?

Are you drinking enough water?

Have you measured to see the inches coming off?
  • becjerami
    Options
    Sometimes I find I've gained a pound or so after a couple of days of heavy exercise. Someone commented a while back on the forum that your body may retain water to assist repairing itself after intensive exercise, so this may be what is affecting you. Try taking a day or two off from the exercise and see what happens, or just do some light walking for a couple of days if you want to stay active. My bet is you'll drop the weight you've gained. I do this periodically and it works for me.
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Are you approaching your period?

Are your bowels regular?

Are you OD'ing on sodium?

Are you drinking enough water?

Have you measured to see the inches coming off?

Two weeks before my TOM. Bowels regular. No excessive sodium, I drink a minimum of 90 oz. of water per day and I measured myself yesterday and I have lost 1.5 inches off each thigh in the past month and that's it. But, I only lost a few pounds since my last measurements.
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find I've gained a pound or so after a couple of days of heavy exercise. Someone commented a while back on the forum that your body may retain water to assist repairing itself after intensive exercise, so this may be what is affecting you. Try taking a day or two off from the exercise and see what happens, or just do some light walking for a couple of days if you want to stay active. My bet is you'll drop the weight you've gained. I do this periodically and it works for me.

Thanks. Today is my "off" day so I planned to either not exercise or do the 40 minute stretch from Turbo Fire. Maybe I'll just take the break though. It's so hard to take a break. I feel so guilty!
  • becjerami
    Options
    Hi Teresa,

Did you take a break? How did it go with regards to your weight gain?

I have been reading this topic in the forum: 'An easier way to set up goal calories'. It might be the solution you are after, I'm giving it a go myself and feel better already. Seems I was 'under eating'! Who knew?