Water and bladder issues...

Options
Ok, so this is a little random BUT! I have never been a big water drinker purely because of the fact that I have ... hate to say it here.. but a really small bladder!! I go to uni 4 days a week and I won't even have a sip of water yet I still go to the bathroom ATLEAST 3 times in 6 hours.
This has never been bad but now my challenge for the week was too drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. This is going great, and I'm seeing a huge change in my weight loss. The only problem is that i've been going to the bathroom every half hour to an hour! This is alright since its holidays, but I don't think I will be able to handle this during uni days. I don't want to have to give up having my 8 glasses though...
So basically, what I want to know is:
DOES YOUR BLADDER GROW THROUGH GETTING USED TO HAVE LOTS OF WATER??

Replies

• beautyreaps
    Options
    From what I've learned it only grows in strength, not in size. Your body will soon adjust to the change and you'll go to the washroom less frequently.

Personally, I wasn't a huge water drinker a year or so ago. The first month or so I'd use the washroom frequently. Now, I'm still drinking the same amount, but able to hold it better. Keep doing what you're doing & your body will adjust (:
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I found my body adjusted when I started drinking more water. I never really drank much before and lately will drink at least 3L a day! At the beginning I had to go every 15 mins it seemed... now it's much less frequent.
  • heidibannister
    heidibannister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    this is nothing to do with the size of your bladder but pelvic floor muscle strength. You need to exercise your pelvic floor muscles and get more strength. Google pelvic floor exercise and do them , it makes a huge difference to so many things.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I usually go every hour or two hours at work. Part of it is because I really have to go, but part of it is also the excuse to get up from my desk. I also like to refill my water bottle in the same trip since the water cooler is on the way to the bathroom.

At home, I don't notice how often I go, because I don't watch the clock as much.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I had that same problem too when I first upped my water. I found eventually my body got into a cycle and I would have to use the restroom at certain times during the day and less frequently. It does get easier over time.
  • taylor0911
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I guess i'll just have to get used too it, since after drinking so much water I am seeing what a big difference it actually makes!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If water makes you feel better, go with it, but the "eight glasses of water a day" recommendation includes all moisture in everything you eat and drink. Unless you're eating ashes, there's a lot of water in your food, just like your own body is mostly water.

Cutting back on salt and caffeine will help reduce your fluid retention and increase your bladder capacity.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Remember, you really dont need to drink 8 glasses of pure water a day. As long as you get your hydration from other sources, i.e. tea/coffee/juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg, its all good.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had to see a doctor and was showed exactly how to do the pelvic floor excesses and I saw I needed this help. I also heard that our bladder may not be completely emptying so there is still some urine in the bladder. Ground flax seed Dr Oz should help with this. I'm not sure it will help though. Getting stronger should help I'd think.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    one more thing, I can drink to much water! It almost killed me!