What was your best purchase?

Options

Replies

• whiterice83
    whiterice83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My new smartphone (didn't have one before) and getting the app Fooducate. Because I'll scan bar codes in the grocery store and cringe at what it tells me because normally it would've gone in my cart.

Wii- because now that I'm using it along with my new EA Active NFL Training camp

Measuring cups. Somehow mine disappeared and getting some again got me on track by portioning cereal in the morning which jumpstarted this fitness adventure for me.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I now definitely want a HRM and food scale.
    What brand of HRMs do you guys love (and find are most accurate) and where do you get food scales?

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread (that I bookmarked) with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 last year from heartratemonitorsusa dot com to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like heart rate monitors usa, Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc. Also, search for online codes so that you can take advantage of any additional savings :wink:

As for scales, you can find them in stores like walmart, target and even some food stores.

I have used a food scale for many years........I started using one when I had joined Weight Watchers ages ago. It will definately open your eyes, well it surely did mine :ohwell: to portion control especially when measuring food with measuring cups and spoons or by eyeball :noway: and you won't believe how much more food you really may be eating by not weighing it. I weigh almost everything I have to eat now.....

The food scale I have is a Kitrics Digital Nutrition Scale (which I bought on QVC but have seen on amazon and some mail order catalogs too) and it has food codes programmed into it and you can add more food codes for your favorite foods and the scale gives you the nutritional info for the items you are weighing. It has a tare button and you can change between grams and ounces for weighing items.

You can buy any food scale from a regular digital scale to the much fancier ones. I think the main point is basically the measuring of the portions :wink:
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My food scale (which I got on Woot for super cheap... yay Woot!)

and

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (I honestly don't think I'd be anywhere near the 10 inches I am down in my waist without her!)
  • blondeboms
    blondeboms Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    1. Food scale
    2. Asics
    3. 30 day shred
    4. MFP even though its free!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Our best purchase was this computer so we can use MFP! My best weight loss aide is my wife (hootsmamma) who is doing this with me and inspires me everyday. She has MS and it does not slow her dedication even on bad days. Can't say I have any excuse when she fights so hard everyday. :love: :happy:
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Brita water filter, my exercise bike/cross trainer, my workout gear which makes me feel good about working out, a food scale for me to obsessively measure everything, my membership to Slimming World and their magazines, the Wii Fit... there are lots of things that I love to have around, and which make things a lot easier for me :)
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My very best was my recumbent bike. If I'm going to watch anything on tv I have no excuse to sit on the sofa when the bike is 6 feet away.
    After that I definitely have to say my food scale as well and then my sodastream machine. I've always been a big water drinker but soda water is so tasty I drink at least two liters a day now.
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Our best purchase was this computer so we can use MFP! My best weight loss aide is my wife (hootsmamma) who is doing this with me and inspires me everyday. She has MS and it does not slow her dedication even on bad days. Can't say I have any excuse when she fights so hard everyday. :love: :happy:

Aw, this is so lovely!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    1) My Polar HRM
    2) My kitchen scales (I have one at work and one at home)
    3) My Kindle (so I can read while I do my cardio)
  • ViSabbi
    ViSabbi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It was a gift from my BF but still...

1) A good winter coat
    2) Snow pants

Now I can enjoy the outdoors as much as I want! And of course, my Visalus shakes but then I have them for free so again, not a purchase. What will really be a purchase: kinect or wii with just dance and any work out game I decide to buy :) Dance classes are also on the plate in a few weeks :)
  • cynusps
    cynusps Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    NuWave Oven
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    1. This website
    2. I already had a smartphone, but downloading this site to my phone.
    3. Jillian Michaels 30 day shred videos
    4. I already had some home videos, weights, and true lemon packets. But now I am using it.
    My plan is this week is to purchase a bikini and a measuring tape, so I can see how many inches I have lost.
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1. Food Scale
    2. HRM

And a pack of dogs to help keep me motivated (I did buy them! lol)
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My HRM and food scale!
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1) My YMCA membership
    2) My Polar FT4 HRM
    3) My new food scale (Costco for $19.99 - awesome!!!)
  • kmheitkamp
    kmheitkamp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    - gym membership with group classes (gives me a set time I need to get to the gym)
    - lean cuisine meals (still unsure if they are the most healthy or not, but so far they are working)
    - TV, watching the Biggest Loser (if they can do it, so can I!)
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    1- HRM
    2-Gym membership
    3-food scale

4- everything else, water bottles, 10k training, healthy foods
  • davepat46
    Options
    Tesco rice cakes and snackerjacks.there the future:laugh:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    gym membership and trainer investment.. big time best purchase!!!
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1. My MFP membership. I know that's cheating because it's free, but I honestly do not think I'd have stuck with it this far if not for MFP.

2. My digital food scale. I had no clue what portions really looked like. The first time I saw what the portions were supposed to look like, I couldn't believe how small they were. Now, I can't believe I used to eat as much as I used to.

3. Accurate, digital bathroom scale.

4. My Wii.

5. My dance games for my Wii. (Just Dance 1, 2, and 3, and DDR 2)

6. My HRM.