Rest days question

Options
Do you do rest days? How much do you rest? This may seem like a dumb question but I haven't really been having rest days...

I have days where I only do some dance central or some of the more fun things on your shape fitness evolved (wall breaker, stomp it, kick boxing, and yoga/tai chi) for like 30 min. Instead of going to the gym doing longer on your shape with some of the more weight intensive stuff too or my kettle bell dvd, but I don't really have days I do no exercise... I kind of like playing the games!!

I read on another post that you should weigh in after a rest day when your muscles have repaired and your not retaining water to repair them... so am I doing my body a disservice by not having a full rest day?

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I believe in rest days. Saturday and Sunday are my rest days. I weigh myself once a month. I don't focus on scale weight. I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches.

Some people don't believe in rest days, but I believe people should take rest days. We need to give our body rest or eventually it will force us to rest.
  • Indygirl6
    Options
    Hmmm...great question! I work out 6 days a week and take Sunday off (however I may need to walk the dog or something because I see a beer in my future during the football games today!) I feel like we need to let our body rest and heal itself during the week. I will be anxious to hear the input on this one! Thanks for posting a great question!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Do you do rest days? How much do you rest? This may seem like a dumb question but I haven't really been having rest days...

I have days where I only do some dance central or some of the more fun things on your shape fitness evolved (wall breaker, stomp it, kick boxing, and yoga/tai chi) for like 30 min. Instead of going to the gym doing longer on your shape with some of the more weight intensive stuff too or my kettle bell dvd, but I don't really have days I do no exercise... I kind of like playing the games!!

I read on another post that you should weigh in after a rest day when your muscles have repaired and your not retaining water to repair them... so am I doing my body a disservice by not having a full rest day?

I just train every other day. Sometimes I have two days off in a row.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I believe in rest days. Saturday and Sunday are my rest days. I weigh myself once a month. I don't focus on scale weight. I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches.

Some people don't believe in rest days, but I believe people should take rest days. We need to give our body rest or eventually it will force us to rest.

I wouldn't say i "don't believe in rest days" one day last week I tried a new workout and the next day I was sore so I didn't do much of anything that day at all. I would also be fine not working out if for some reason I didn't have time one day... I just tend not to go, "ok I won't do anything today"
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    i do a workout 5 days a week. 3 of those days are hitting different body parts strength training, one is a PT session and one is spin class, i typically take one day of in the week and end up with sunday off also as i force myself to rest. i think it helps ya body recover so in that respect is important for effective training
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Rest days are very important. Your body needs the time off to rebuild muscles. If you have to do something go for an easy walk or do some light yoga and stretching.