My Cheat Day always becomes a Cheat Weekend

Options

Replies

• emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    'Cheat meals' (NOT WHAT I CALL THEM, I prefer the term, RELAX days) have helped me to loose around 20lbs in the past, I am now two weeks into following this routine again after over a year of stupid dieting that did not work, I find (for me, this is) that if i restrict myself too much endlessly, yes I might loose a few pounds quicker than my tried and tested way but, these pounds never stay off for long as I cannot stick to a diet that doesn't allow me to indulge every now and then on something i have a craving for or enjoying eating out with friends/ boyfriend so this is what I do (or did very well for approx 8months, which got me to my goal weight) and what I am slowly getting back in to now...

mon - fri calorie restricted diet (was on 1100 net cals a day, currently on 1200 or there abouts) almost no food was banned (except for pasta as I am gluten intollerant and pasta seems to be my enemy) but I planned for everything, and logged EVERYTHING I ate and DRANK, exercised 4 days a week then come saturday and sunday, would still have low cal healthy breakfast and lunch but at dinner (or lunch instead some days) I would be able to eat and drink whatever I wanted, in moderation (in moderation to me just means think sensibly) and this really works for me, yes monday morning the scales often claim i have 'gained' a pound or two, but come tuesday morning I have lost them and some extra! it means i am able to stick to my calorie goals in the week because I know that come the weekend I can have that dinner out I fancy or homemade curry (tonight's indulgence! :-) ) if its unavoidable to go over calories in the week, I plan for that too, so the following weekend, I have one relax day instead of two to make up for the indulgence in the week.

in the end, you just have to do what is right for you, as long as the majority of the week calories in = less than calories out you will get there, remember slow and steady wins the race.

good luck to you :-)
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think the potential problem here is the mentality behind the 'cheat day'. I'm all for not restricting yourself, but I find when people talk about their cheat day, it is because they have been mega strict during the week and then gone crazy one or two days at the weekend. This in itself is not an easy habit to get rid of. So if you slip during the week, and then still go crazy at the weekend, you start to go backwards.

Two things. Exercise if you want to eat more. Do a good workout, and you'll want those extra calories anyway to fuel your body.

Second. All things in moderation. Not allowing yourself to ever have any Ben and Jerry's (or insert random temptation here) ever, means that you'll want it really bad, and then most likely gorge. So as previous posters have said, if you want a treat, have a small one and work it in to your calories. Its better to go over a little occasionally than a lot once a week.

Actually, 3 things. Going out for drinks / dinner at the weekend doesn't need to be a cheat day. Just eat / drink sensibly.
  • MollieMorgan
    Options
    I can't speak for how anyone elses diet and exercise works for them, but I religiously log Monday-Thursday (try to on Fridays but it's hit or miss) work out 4-5 days a week, usually Monday-Thursday (sometimes Friday) and eat whatever I want on the weekends without feeling guilty. I haven't lost the weight quickly, but I didn't expect a quick fix. Since beginning to watch what I eat most of the time and joining MFP, I've lost 30 lbs. At first I wasn't losing as much because of the weekends, but over time the amount of food I could eat decreased so I'm not as bad on the weekends and I was to start with. That's what works for me and keeps me motivated to stay on track all week!
  • lexik09
    lexik09 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i dont like to call it "cheating" i like to take whatever it is, a piece of chocolate, cake, burger...whatever it is and work it into my daily calories. its much easier that way and you dont have to have a "cheat" day or a "cheat" meal. its a healthy lifestyle change so take your daily life and revamp it into your new healthy lifestyle. if you call it a "diet" you are more likely to fall off the wagon! dont deprive yourself, everything is better in moderation!
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    I don't like the word "cheat", that being said. I've only been here a week.:happy: I am just getting used to logging my meals and being honest about what I'm eating.

I like the idea that I can have a cookie, just shouldn't waste my whole day of calories on empty calaries. Pay attention maybe to how you feel, physically. I have been surprised at how much better I've felt energy wise with lots more veggies and less sweets. I read a post this morning from the sucess boards that really hit me. She said she wouldn't let her self have junk until she had given her body 5 veggies and 2 fruits a day. Great strategy I thought. Good luck!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't start it till Sunday :D
  • ibitezombies
    Options
    I have one cheat meal a week. Usually a take-away( and a bag of sweets after!) on a Sat night.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This sounds a lot like me so you can either do 2 things:

Not do the cheat at all so you dont get the taste for it

or forward plan, if you know you are due to go out sat and sunday for example. eat less in the day, do more exercise. Most restaurants have menus online (and if your lucky the calories too) so you can roughly work out in advance what the meal, nightout etc is going to cost you calorie wise in advance so you plan not only how much you can get away having when you are out but also factor this in while planning what to eat and what exercise to do before (or after) the event

hope this helps

Agreed!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try looking up menus of where you are dining and select a couple of meals that won't kill your diet. As far as cheating I allow myself one cheat day weekly no questions asked. Any more than that and I am with you it could easily lead into days of cheating. My day was yesterday and I feel like crap today. Oh well, we live and learn. Cheating NEVER good no matter what situation.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't do cheat meals or cheat days. Instead, I work whatever it is I want into my daily calories. I find this way to be easier for me and less like a diet. I don't fall off the wagon on weekends because I can have what I want, when I want it. Perhaps something like this may work better for you? This would allow you what you want during the week too - so you are less likely to want to binge on the good stuff come the weekend?

If you don't think that will work for you, then I would suggest making sure you get in a good workout on the weekends in order to make room for the stuff you want to eat/drink in your daily calories.

^^This is how I roll too! I don't even say I cheat, I just say I eat as usual.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I presonally don't get this whole "cheat" thing. If there are things you enjoy such as chips, chocolate, McDonalds, cheesecake, whatever...fit it into your macros once in a while. I have not given up anything. I had pizza last night and finished my day under my calorie goal.

And if I go over my calorie goals once in a while, it is never by much and I don't stress about it since my average for the week is a deficit.

If I know I want to drink or people are coming over or whatever, I just workout extra hard and burn more cals than I normally would (that day) to give myself some breathing room. No cheating, I stay within my cals.

^^^THIS^^^
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    best you can do is alow a cheat meal, not a whole day that keeps you happy and still on track

Word up. This works. A cheat day just goes too far in my opinion....a meal once every week or two isn't a bad idea though.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I personally feel like you should just work your calories in. I used to have the same dilemma. My cheat days became weekends, then weekends became long weekends, then I was way off track all the time. I don't look at the change as a "diet" but more of a lifestyle thing - you can eat the things you desire, in moderation. Balance! Hell, I'm in Mardi Gras season so I've been consuming king cake. Why? Because I give up a latte for it. ;)
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Also...on days I eat things I normally wouldn't I'll just throw an extra hour of cardio into the mix. Not sure if that counts as cheating, but one meal a week I have desert etc and it keeps my in a good frame of mind and doesn't affect my physical fitness progress/goals. :)
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Options
    Since I started, in November, I've had at least 4 cheat days. So around 2 a month. One was Christmas Eve, where I went all out. White Castle, McDonald's, Italian food, cookies and cake, etc. I remained the same weight though! It was like a miracle...

I'd say, one day per month go ALL out. Hell, last night, I had pizza and cookies... and I felt upset, but it's only ONE day. Now today time to put some extra effort in at the gym...
  • amandaruiz2011
    Options
    Honestly? I don't do cheat meals or cheat days. Instead, I work whatever it is I want into my daily calories. I find this way to be easier for me and less like a diet. I don't fall off the wagon on weekends because I can have what I want, when I want it. Perhaps something like this may work better for you? This would allow you what you want during the week too - so you are less likely to want to binge on the good stuff come the weekend?

If you don't think that will work for you, then I would suggest making sure you get in a good workout on the weekends in order to make room for the stuff you want to eat/drink in your daily calories.

This is what I do also. I don't feel good about myself when I allow myself to "cheat". That's just the state of mind I have. If I can't fit it into my daily calories I don't eat it. As I get closer to my goals, I may change that, but as for now, I don't feel like I am even dieting really. I am not "stuffed" all the time, like I was before, and look forward to my meals. another thing, if there is something I really want, I will get it in smaller portion, where it won't break me for the rest of the day.

Hope this helps :)
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I don't allow myself a "cheat" day. I allow myself small treats every couple days. Maybe a hand full of M&Ms or a serving of chips. I've tried the "cheat" day and I screwed it up every time. Find a system that works for you and stick with that.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    i dont like to call it "cheating" i like to take whatever it is, a piece of chocolate, cake, burger...whatever it is and work it into my daily calories. its much easier that way and you dont have to have a "cheat" day or a "cheat" meal. its a healthy lifestyle change so take your daily life and revamp it into your new healthy lifestyle. if you call it a "diet" you are more likely to fall off the wagon! dont deprive yourself, everything is better in moderation!

OMG you ROCK! Why can't people STOP calling it CHEATING for goodness sakes. It's the diet mentality that keeps people fat- telling yourself you're been BAD or that you're a cheater is not going to help anything at all!
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time sticking to my calorie allowance on the weekends. I've read that it's ok to have one cheat day so your body doesn't get used to a decreased number of calories and stop dropping pounds.

I've never heard of this. No matter what you call it, cheating is exactly that, cheating! When I made the decision to embark on this journey back on January 25, 2011, I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I said to myself, "I am going to stop lying to myself, stop the 'fudging' (***pun intended***) and come clean with myself, 'no matter who don't like it'! If I can't be honest with myself, how can I expect anyone else to be.

If I were you, on dinner out days, I would either eat a meal before you go out with your friends and then just have a cup of coffee or an iced tea. Or, decide what you are going to order before you go and order a "to go" box with your meal. As far as drinks, don't have any if not on your meal plan. If you get flack from your friends for it, then number 1) they probably aren't really your friends, and/or 2) you may have to put those dinner plans on hold until your weight is down or until you know you are in control. This may sound harsh, but for me personally, this decision is far too important to me to let anyone or anything stand in my way. Surround yourself with people that are supportive of you during this journey.

And hey, if you do slip up every now and then, don't beat yourself up, just go back to the basics and start fresh on the next meal. Good luck in your journey!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I know I am going out to eat I try to view the nutritional information and plan accordingly (as much as possible!) and get in a good work out both days. You really arent eating very much so you should fill up quickly. I think portion control is the trick whether you are eating out or at home. Best of luck!