Yoga question for the Yoga lovers.

Options
Hey everyone, before I jump into my question here's what brought me to this point. I've done P90X twice and I'm on my third round in a period of 3 years. Up until this point I've always struggled with Yoga for a couple of reasons. I'm big into weights, push ups, pull ups, jumping around etc, so going from that to a more passive way of exercise is pretty frustrating for me. On top of that, for some reason poses like Downward Dog makes me all shaky and I feel like I'm not strong enough to do it.

So, after reading online that most people who do P90X either struggle or skip Yoga X and realizing I'm not the only one with the problem, I started to wonder what other alternatives do I have until more recently I have seen people, who apparently have more experience with Yoga, saying that P90X Yoga sucks and to try other Yoga DVDs instead.

My question is, what other DVDs would anyone recommend that can be used to replace the P90X one and probably not be as annoying and hard to do?

Also, I'm fully aware of the benefits Yoga provides to our bodies, I just wish I found something more appealing to me. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    None. You need to start with an instructor who will correct what you're doing wrong. Getting your alignment right is very important with yoga. You can work on your own a lot once you've mastered the basics, but I would strongly advise staring with a class and learning the sequences and postures properly.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    None. You need to start with an instructor who will correct what you're doing wrong. Getting your alignment right is very important with yoga. You can work on your own a lot once you've mastered the basics, but I would strongly advise staring with a class and learning the sequences and postures properly.

I have to agree with you that the ideal thing to do is registering for a class and have an instructor teach me, but one of the reasons why I workout at home is because of finances and time, which is why I'm looking for a DVD instead. With that said, I'm not disregarding the possibility of doing what you suggested in the future. Thank you for the reply :)
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    The Yoga X has been frustrating me as well. I would really like to try and complete it but to do that for an hour and a half? And most of the time I'm sitting there struggling to figure out how they got into a certain position or trying to keep up with all the switching from one to another. It just feels like when I'm halfway through it I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Maybe one day I'll get through it.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

My question is, what other DVDs would anyone recommend that can be used to replace the P90X one and probably not be as annoying and hard to do?

I LOVE yoga. As a cardio junkie you should try "power yoga". I highly recommend MTV's Power yoga DVD: http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Power-Yoga-Kristin-McGee/dp/B00009YXBK Power yoga moves you through typical yoga moves but quickly so that your HR goes up and you sweat more than the average yoga routine so while you're getting the usual stretching/flexability it's also great for toning. For a slower more stretching/flexability focused routine... again, try MTV yoga! http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Yoga-Kristin-McGee/dp/B00006JDTH/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b They're oldies but goodies. I LOVE the way the instructor explains everything, stops to show you how it's being done on someone else, they've got a great sound track. Each exercise is about 50-55 mins. You'll like them I bet!
  • YassSpartan
    Options

I LOVE yoga. As a cardio junkie you should try "power yoga". I highly recommend MTV's Power yoga DVD: http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Power-Yoga-Kristin-McGee/dp/B00009YXBK Power yoga moves you through typical yoga moves but quickly so that your HR goes up and you sweat more than the average yoga routine so while you're getting the usual stretching/flexability it's also great for toning. For a slower more stretching/flexability focused routine... again, try MTV yoga! http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Yoga-Kristin-McGee/dp/B00006JDTH/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b They're oldies but goodies. I LOVE the way the instructor explains everything, stops to show you how it's being done on someone else, they've got a great sound track. Each exercise is about 50-55 mins. You'll like them I bet!

Thank you Starlage, I'll check them out :)

Saruman_w, maybe this will help you too.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    check out yoga for inflexible people (a good starting point for positions, but not much flow) and rodney yee. :) my brother hated yoga x, but loved rodney yee (i don't remember which video he has).
  • mandylooo
    Options

I have to agree with you that the ideal thing to do is registering for a class and have an instructor teach me, but one of the reasons why I workout at home is because of finances and time, which is why I'm looking for a DVD instead. With that said, I'm not disregarding the possibility of doing what you suggested in the future. Thank you for the reply :)

Fair enough, if you really can't afford it. My reply is quite harshly worded. If you at all could, I'd still say take a class once week just to start. I do ashtanga and it is ideal for fitting into a busy schedule on your own
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I do gotta say this, in the occident women are so much better at doing Yoga than guys are :D I think a lot has to do with flexibility but it goes beyond that. In India, guys are big into Yoga, but I don't see any videos of women doing Yoga there. A weird thing I wanted to mention.
  • mandylooo
    Options
    It's a fair point. Not sure whether women are more flexible men naturally or not. I am not especially flexible naturally, but yoga has helped dramatically with this. Here's some inspiration for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k
  • Lisa3622
    Options
    I love yoga but sometimes have a terrible time concentrating and just taking time for it. I would rather vigorous exercise too. The only DVD that I have found that I like is "Yoga for Stress Relief" by Barbara Benagh. Its not just for Stress Relief but there is a section in there for that. You can pick which one you want to do based on time or level of difficulty. I really like it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I do gotta say this, in the occident women are so much better at doing Yoga than guys are :D I think a lot has to do with flexibility but it goes beyond that. In India, guys are big into Yoga, but I don't see any videos of women doing Yoga there. A weird thing I wanted to mention.

(after googling "occident") - more women practice yoga here, I think that is the difference really. Yoga is equally about strength. As it is frequently presented in the west, it is also more appealing to women.

As far as shaking in down dog, etc. I think it's just a matter of practice. Remember how hard your workouts used to be when you first started?
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You should see if you can Find Shilpa Shetty's yoga DVD . In India more men practice it then women (although that changing) and thats why you see more dvds of men .
  • AimeeCofer
    Options
    I love Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown... it's an active yoga video with a cardio flair. I really feel as thought it's starting to lengthen my muscles and making me more lean and strong!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I too struggled a lot with the p90x yoga and a lot of the other videos I did. In fact, I still have a hard time finishing the p90x one. I think that is because, much of what is sold on DVDs are considered “power yoga” and a real yoga enthusiast may argue that it isn’t really yoga. (Haha, we will see what can of worms that opens).

Anyway, it wasn’t until I attended the classes that I learned the difference. In a class, the focus is much more on breathing and using mental strength to overcome physical challenges. A friend of mine was studying to get her license to teach and had to offer a certain number of free classes. That’s the only reason I went. But what did this teach me? Well since everyone is aspiring for the same goal, there are tons of free classes out there to be had. Check out some of your local studios to see what your options are. Plus the newer instructors tend not use all that confusing Sanskrit language.

I will say, that unless you manage to get the basics down through a class, or if you can find a true yoga dvd, then you may find the exercise dvds a continued struggle. Especially if you are a “muscle guy” as they often get in the way :)

Best of luck.