Zumba

Options
2»

Replies

• tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and just started this past week. I was a little intimidated... but once the class started it was so fun! Sure, it will take me awhile to get down the moves.. but that's part of the fun. Just do it! no excuses. Go... if you hate it, try something else. But I am positive it will be awesome. The class is so fast paced, no one is watching or worrying about you... they are trying to keep up! Let me know who you love it! I have never done the videos or wii, etc... I just walked into the class and jumped in.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i started going to zumba at 330lbs.. or maybe more. I totally think no matter what, you could atleast try. if you have classes available to you, i'd totally go check one out. there is no shame in standing in the back and trying your hardest. there are people of all shapes, sizes, ages, abilities, even men to go the class i go to. :)

try it out! i was scared at first but it is my favorite thing to do now. GL!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I love to dance and, unfortunately, my gym does not offer Zumba. I received the Zumba videos as a Christmas gift and I love them. If you are uncoordinated, I would recommend purchasing these videos instead of going to a class only because the videos offer a tutorial called "Zumba Basics" where they break down each move so it is easy to follow. As far as I have understood, the classes are quite fast-paced and can be difficult to follow, but if you choose to attend a class just keep moving and you will still get a fantastic workout!

I agree wholeheartedly! I only go to an actual class 2 to 3 times a month. But I use my Zumba DVD's 6 times a week. The basics DVD is great for those who need a bit of time to learn the choreography and it gives you a pretty good little workout, too. I say go for it! If you don't want to make the investment in the full 8 DVD set, you can do like I did and get the 4 DVD set for about $50 on Amazon.

And remember, no matter what, just move your booty! I notice that a lot of folks, if they lose the steps, just boogie til they get back in rhythm.
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Crazy timing on this... I was JUST looking into how many calories you burn doing Zumba and so many of my friends LOVE it. Here is my plan: I am checking out the DVDs from the library...that's right....why buy when you can get it for free?! I am going to do the videos for a week or so and get use to the workout and then go to a class at my gym. I agree with the person who said don't be too intimidated about a class...so many people are focusing on themselves. I went to s step class the other day and it looked like I was stepping to a completely different song/routine but I still burned a ton of calories, so I am calling it a success. Dance on! :happy:
  • nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I go to my YMCA Got Zumba class every Monday! ; )
  • FRANKOMCGONAGLE
    FRANKOMCGONAGLE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA IS GREAT IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN PLACE,,,EATTING PROPERLY,,DOIN STRENGTH AND CARDIO EXERCISES A ND GETTING PROPER REST,,,ALL MIXED TOGETHER RESULTS ARE ENDLESS...DONT GIVE UP WAHOOOOOO
  • FRANKOMCGONAGLE
    FRANKOMCGONAGLE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA IS GREAT IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN PLACE,,,EATTING PROPERLY,,DOIN STRENGTH AND CARDIO EXERCISES A ND GETTING PROPER REST,,,ALL MIXED TOGETHER RESULTS ARE ENDLESS...DONT GIVE UP WAHOOOOOO
    IF I DONT DO IT TODAY I AM PUTTING OFF ONE MORE DAY OF GETTING WHAT I WANT........
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba since March. Do I love it? No. I don't love any type of workout, but it is tolerable and I do like the music. I started by doing Zumba Gold once a week. In October I started on the regular classes. I am the biggest person in there and sometimes the moves are just to hard for me. I have trouble with the jumping around stuff. However, I just do what I can and keep moving. At first I would leave about 30 mintues, then 45 and now I do the whole workout.

Your first time going will be hard. You might feel like I did that everyone knows what is going on but you. But everyone had a first week at Zumba and understands, plus they aren't there to watch you. LOL. I would recommend giving it a try. Zumba isn't for everyone, but you won't know unless you give it a shot.

I also have Zumba for the Wii. It is alright, but I like doing it with an instructor in person much better.
  • nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love your comment!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Your first time going will be hard. You might feel like I did that everyone knows what is going on but you. But everyone had a first week at Zumba and understands, plus they aren't there to watch you. LOL. I would recommend giving it a try. Zumba isn't for everyone, but you won't know unless you give it a shot.

this! your first time will be hard, and you'll fall behind. but after a few tries, you'll get the hang of it. no one is watching you and judging you- they all had to learn it, even the instructor.
    i LOVE zumba. it makes the time go by so fast- usually i feel like i've been there only a few minutes, but the class is 30 minutes in. it's super fun and a great workout!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I see all ages and sizes at the class I go to. I for one am very very uncoordinated, but everyone is focused on themselves and not on you. I say go try it, it never hurts to try. You can also ask if you can take a trial class before paying money. :-)
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    I do Zumba in the Circuit at my Curves class. and my instructor says as long as you're moving and doing something, not necessarily the exact movies she's doing, it's fine. maybe look into your local curves and see if they offer it.
  • bethieannie
    bethieannie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started going with my cuz a couple months ago. She has a really nice heart rate monitor, and its calorie count after an hour is right around the 800 mark. And that is for a female right around 250lbs. Even if you are not coordinated, just trying to keep moving and you will do amazing!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I go to my YMCA Got Zumba class every Monday! ; )
    me too! I suck but I have fun. I use my HRM and average 700-900 in a 1hr session.
  • bjwalsh
    bjwalsh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My gym offers Zumba classes nat no extra charge. I would watch the classes while using the machines, and it looked like so much fun I wanted to try it! I have no dance background though, so I felt very self-conscious and uncoordinated. I went to a few classes last year and was hopelessly lost, plus I hurt my knee with the jumping and twisting. I tried it again a couple of weeks ago, determined to make a go of it, because I really wanted to add another workout to my weekly routine.

It's really true--no one cares what you do in the class! Everyone has been so helpful. I just get there early enough to stake my claim to a spot in the back row, watch the instructor and the people around me, and just keep moving. The hour goes by so fast, and I'm sweating like crazy by the end! Be sure to bring a water bottle and towel with you! The first week I was in step with the class maybe 5% of the time; the second week, maybe 10%. I practiced during the week at home with YouTube videos. I don't know anything about that style of music, so it's fun to learn something new. At my gym there are definitely differences between instructors--some are much easier to follow than others. Ask the people in your class if there are any instructors who are easier for beginners to follow. Good luck, and I hope you have fun!
  • BeautifulMe322
    BeautifulMe322 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well, that gives me a lot of information! Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice. That there is 1/2 the reason I love MFP :)
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started using the Zumba Wii. I love it. I can't dance to save my life, but hey I'm doing it in the comfort of my own living room. No one is watching! I feel like I'm getting a great workout. You'll probably never catch me in a class though, because I'm horrible at following dance steps. Best wishes with your workout :)
  • halpinj1
    halpinj1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight too but athletic-ish (I can run 2 miles, slowly, and not be dying by the end) and I LOVE Zumba. Nobody cares what anyone else is doing once the class starts, but if you're a little self-concsious, like me, then just dance in the back. I'm not going to lie- the first class is difficult just because it is fast paced and you're trying to learn the moves, but go to a second class and you'll fall into it and it will be so much fun! I go to the classes on my campus and there are some dance-major types getting crazy and fancy in the front of the class, but my friends and I have a blast giggling and dancing to the moves in the back. Get into it! It is so worth it! but bring water and a towel. lol :)
  • zumbamum229
    Options
    Absolutely give it a try! I'm an instructor, so I'm biased, but it's great fun, and the more you put into the more you get out. And that doesn't mean getting it "right." I have a lot of people who say they can't dance or are uncoordinated, but they are moving, sweating, and having fun! The music is great!

If you really feel intimidated, see if you can find a ZumbaGold class. They tend to be slower-paced and are great for getting the rhythms down. Then when you are ready, seek out Zumba. And not all Zumba means jumping. Every instructor has their own style.

Questions? Message me!

Check www.zumba.com for FIND A CLASS. And search all. If you could get into an AquaZumba class, that is also great, since it uses the water's resistance, but is VERY kind to the joints. It's my favorite format to teach!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i just started zumba a few days ago. you get it down. unfortunately i might have to stop it causes my eye to go really lazy and my vision to double (born with strabismus corrected by surgerY)