I'm not sure what to do...

Options
2»

Replies

• reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for over a year and took a 6 month break in between. This site was my biggest influence. It helped knowing what I eat every day and it got me excited when I logged my exercise to see what I had accomplished. The motivation from others is great. One of the things I know that helped me lose weight before is my exercise bike. Since I was really out of shape, it was easier on my joints and I got up to 17-20 miles up and down hill daily burning anywhere from 700-1000 calories. I also got rid of all the sugar and trigger foods (foods that I usually binge on). I also got used to cooking more instead of caving in and going out to eat. Going out to eat was my biggest downfall.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you're motivated and that's the first step!! people on here can give you lots of great advice...they're awesome!! however, i also think it would probably be a good idea to see your doctor and get some recommendations to lose the weight healthily and permanently!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    First, good for you!! Genetics can be greatly overcome by lifestyle changes!
    Now, my advice based on what worked for me:
    1. plan, plan, plan! Plan your schedule with workouts like any other appointments. Plan your meals and prepare as much in advance as you can to avoid the "gotta eat right now" poor choices. Plan ahead on how to stand up to the obstacles you know will come your way.
    2. Set small measureable goals, like "work out 4 hours this week" and "lose 8 lbs by ___" and "fit into those pants again." It's not all about the scale, especially when you drop fat and add muscle.
    3. Weigh & measure EVERYTHING you eat! I had a distorted idea of what a "portion" really was
    4. Use MFP (my fitness pal) to log every single thing you eat. I was amazed at how many calories I was eating a day. Explained a lot of weight gain!
    5. Include cardio and strength training (weight lifting) both. When you do cardio, push until you gasp and sweat, even if it's just for 30 seconds at a time, and mix it with less intense cardio. Keep your body guessing. Push yourself and you'll do more than you think you are capable of. You will NOT become bulked up with weights unless you deliberately train at competition-levels.
    6. Log into the MFP community and read posts, blogs, etc. Join a group. Friend people on the same journey.
    7. TAKE YOUR BEFORE PHOTOS & MEASUREMENTS! Yeah, it sucks to see yourself in a 2-piece bathing suit. It's demoralilzing and scarey. Just do it. Use your own camera and mirror to get a full-body shot if you don't want anyone else to see you. Post this photo into your MFP profile--you DON'T have to use it for your profile pic unless you want to. You've gotta know where you're starting from or you can't measure your progress. It helps a lot when you haven't lost as much weight as you wanted, to see that you lost inches from your waist and etc.
    8. DON'T STOP! this is for the rest of your life, not just for a little while. Every little bit adds up. Take the stairs. Park at the far end of the parking lot. Walk whenever you can. Stand up to work if you can. Find active things you enjoy doing. You get the idea.
    9. Respect yourself every day for what you are doing to help yourself and your future.!
  • ShantiDey
    ShantiDey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far and your commitment to becoming strong & healthy! Lots of great suggestions here - log what you eat, drink 64 oz or more of water every day, and workout regularly. These are items I would also consider:

* Oxygen magazine has been a big help for me. One of their fitness models posted that the female body can only metabolize 200 - 400 calories per meal. I can vouch that following this principle has helped me considerably.

* Consume 3 meals per day and 2 - 3 snacks per day. Meal = less than 400 calories and snacks 100 - 200 calories.

* Plan everything in advance. Your weekly meals & menus, gym sessions, etc. Keep your gym bag & lunch bag packed the night before. That way there's nothing to slow you down in getting out & getting started the next day.

* Consider working out in the a.m. before work. That way nothing that happens during your day can derail your workout time.

* What you eat is estimated to represent 80% of your weight. The quality & quantity of the "fuel" you consume speaks for itself in the results.

* As your fitness level increases, look into adding one or two HIIT (high intensity interval training) sessions into your week. This helps to ramp up your fat burn in less time.

* In your "self-talk," focus on gaining strength, flexibility, endurance, etc. They say the subconscious reacts negatively to the word "lose"....so don't focus on losing weight. Focus on what you'll gain - feeling better, wearing smaller clothes, having more energy.

* This is a marathon, not a sprint. Find ways to motivate yourself. I keep little 3 x 5 cards with motivating phrases or ideas that resonate with me. Some people use a mantra like "I can do this" or "I am strong enough" when they're pushing themselves to complete one more rep or set.

Good luck to you! You can do this!!!