Replies

• ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can lose a lot of weight on a very low calorie diet. However most of the weight loss comes from muscle & water, not fat. The biggest problem with a very low calorie diet isn't about losing weight, it is all about slowing down your metabolism because in this way your body cannibalizes your muscles while holding on to fat. The result: skinny-fat or people who are thin but saggy & I don't think anyone in his right mind would like to end up that way. Moreover since less muscles equals slow metabolism so you're burning fewer calories & once you revert back to eating normal, you'll gain weight even faster than how you lose it.

Geez people stop focusing your success on the scale. The scale doesn't know the difference between fat weight & lean body mass & it doesn't even know how you look in the mirror. Another thing you may become thin but ended up sickly. Don't be stupid enough to sacrifice your health just for the sake of a certain number on the scale.
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Notice, the WW article uses the term "weight-loss" and NEVER mentions FAT LOSS.
    Hmm, does WW have anything to gain or lose regarding that distinction. They picked a study that would support their bank account, and omitted studies that wouldn't. Go figure.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Muscle tissue only has a resting expenditure of about 6 calories per lb. Losing muscle mass doesn't really kill your metabolism either. However, large deficits will lead to muscle loss and an ugly body.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Saving for later;)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Bacially you need to eat every 2-3 hrs a day if its a snack or a meal to stay out of starvation mode.. You should NEVER feel your tummy growl of act like you are hungry thats signs of starvation. I eat 5-6 meals a day and it works out perfectly for me.. Starvation Mode is a very important thing to keep under control or you will never be able to get or keep the weight off.. :)

LOL
  • Kerryket
    Kerryket Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you know where I can get one? :)~
  • Kerryket
    Kerryket Posts: 19 Member
    Options

OOps, this was supposed to go with the tapeworm, Is there a delete button???
    Oh well!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Not sure this link has been posted in this thread. I didn't read it all the way:

http://muscleevo.com/lyle-mcdonald-interview-one/

Those of you who don't know who Lyle McDonald is, he is one of the most brilliant guys in the field of nutrition and sports science.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Q. Some claim that that your body will go into ‘starvation mode’ if you eat too few calories, preventing you from losing weight and that trying to lose weight by eating fewer calories doesn’t work. What do you think?

A. Well there is no doubt that the body slows metabolic rate when you reduce calories or lose weight/fat. There are at least two mechanisms for this.

One is simply the loss in body mass. A smaller body burns fewer calories at rest and during activity. There’s not much you can do about that except maybe wear a weighted vest to offset the weight loss, this would help you burn more calories during activity.

However, there’s an additional effect sometimes referred to as the adaptive component of metabolic rate. Roughly, that means that your metabolic rate has dropped more than predicted by the change in weight.

So if the change in body mass predicts a drop in metabolic rate of 100 calories and the measured drop is 150 calories, the extra 50 is the adaptive component. The mechanisms behind the drop are complex involving changes in leptin, thyroid, insulin and nervous system output (this system is discussed to some degree in all of my books except my first one).

In general, it’s true that metabolic rate tends to drop more with more excessive caloric deficits (and this is true whether the effect is from eating less or exercising more); as well, people vary in how hard or fast their bodies shut down. Women’s bodies tend to shut down harder and faster.

But here’s the thing: in no study I’ve ever seen has the drop in metabolic rate been sufficient to completely offset the caloric deficit. That is, say that cutting your calories by 50% per day leads to a reduction in the metabolic rate of 10%. Starvation mode you say. Well, yes. But you still have a 40% daily deficit.

In one of the all-time classic studies (the Minnesota semi-starvation study), men were put on 50% of their maintenance calories for 6 months. It measured the largest reduction in metabolic rate I’ve ever seen, something like 40% below baseline. Yet at no point did the men stop losing fat until they hit 5% body fat at the end of the study.

Other studies, where people are put on strictly controlled diets have never, to my knowledge, failed to acknowledge weight or fat loss.

This goes back to the under-reporting intake issue mentioned above. I suspect that the people who say, “I’m eating 800 calories per day and not losing weight; it must be a starvation response” are actually eating far more than that and misreporting or underestimating it. Because no controlled study that I’m aware of has ever found such an occurrence.

So I think the starvation response (a drop in metabolic rate) is certainly real but somewhat overblown. At the same time, I have often seen things like re-feeds or even taking a week off a diet do some interesting things when people are stalled. One big problem is that, quite often, weekly weight or fat loss is simply obscured by the error margin in our measurements.

Thanks for that. Very interesting read!
  • Taj_11x3
    Taj_11x3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

OOps, this was supposed to go with the tapeworm, Is there a delete button???
    Oh well!

I thought you wanted to know where to get an LOL. LOL...just read a few threads!:wink:
  • ddavey2
    ddavey2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Knowng that you will not go into starvation modea is good to know, but I hope no one here takes this as an excuse to go below 1000 (depending on your size.) I'm 4"9 so I make sure I get at least 1,000.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Please remember that we don't just eat for weight loss but for nutrients. I can tell you that it is possible but very challenging to get enough nutrition from less than 1200 calories a day.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, Thanks for the information OP, but I gotta say when I don't eat enough I generally am starving and in my book thats starvation mode. :bigsmile: :huh: :ohwell:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Eh. I think we this is a great example of confirmation bias. I can go online and just as easily find an article about how starvation mode is in fact a real thing.

I think the truth lies in what the above poster said. Sure, you can eat under you calorie goal, even under 1000 calories a day, to the point that your body is putting out far more calories then it is taking in. And in the long run, you will lose weight, but at what determent. Doesn't make it healthy.

Yup THIS, consider the source of the article.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This article from Chalene Johnson of Chalean Extreme and Turbofire really helped me understand why its important to eat. (Just reminded me again too!)

https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=136

Love Chalene!!! She has done a great deal of research and I trust what she says. I am also on the CLX motivational cd-
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Personally, do what works for you.. I tried 1200 calories a day and gained weight. My dr said that it was because I was eating too few calories for my weight. I figured eating less was good for me and I wound up 10lb heavier. Once I started with 1500-1600 a day, I felt better and started losing and have lost 41lb so far.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread to read. I like seeing two sides of a story

Some days I find it hard to make it to 1200 because I buy a lot of low cal food now and often feel full at the end of the day. However, I try my best to make it to 1200 or a bit over by eating a healthy snack or something. I am trying this out because when I was just eating around 1000 ( again, because I wasn't hungry or didn't have time to eat - not because I thought it would make me thinner) I noticed my weight-loss starting to crawl. I wasn't binging or starving myself, it was pretty even eating and working out overall. Also, I want to get to 1200 or over every day because MFP was starting to get annoying by yelling at me ;P
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    Bump

Great to read a good topic like this. The only thing I will add, is do what works for YOU. We are all different, and scientific research deals a lot with averages. For myself, I need consistency in my calorie intake. I used to not eat breakfast, have a small lunch, a huge dinner, then a supper.... midnight snack... etc.... So I starved then binged. That's how I got the body I did NOT want, and I knew I would have to change my eating patterens to change my body. Now, eating regularly the approximate same amount of calories per day split roughly evenly is working well for me.... Not so much on the scales, but in the mirror, on the tape, and mentally I FEEL GREAT! Find what works for you, experiment. Stick with what you find works, and be patient!
  • haj0808
    haj0808 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone feel you do it my way or your doing it wrong..please get over yourself! She posted the article followed with the fact she is under a doctors care and there is a calorie intake that works for her.I hate people saying I'm not eating enough calories or I'm starving myself,are you crazy! I'm not mental..not meeting your calorie intake is far from true starvation,their are people really starving..and it is not fat as Americans! I hate we use the word starvation in this lose term. Look your calorie intake and my calorie intake maybe different for weight loss please stop with all the absoulutes! Read the article..ponder it..take what you will and leave the rest! But lets stop all the this is the way it is self righteousness! Its one point of view thanks for sharing.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Eh. I think we this is a great example of confirmation bias. I can go online and just as easily find an article about how starvation mode is in fact a real thing.

Article? Yes. Article from a peer-reviewed journal? Doubtful. And while I don't advocate a VLCD, the facts are the facts. You're not going to cling to fat because of it. However, you may be micronutrient malnourished (multivitamins really don't provide as much as you'd think). Also, you will have a lot less energy to do any type of exercise which then makes you lose the health benefits of said activity.

I can give you peer-reviewed articles confirming "starvation mode" all day long.

Also, yes, based on how we digest and metabolize, you may very well hold on to fat while you "eat" muscle. I highly suggest a nutrition class for those that don't understand this. Fat, carbs, and protein are digested very differently - some things are easier for the body to break down than others. This is why athletes "carb up" before a run, or lifters focus on more protein - calories are not just calories, because they are all broken down different in the body.