comfort eating

Options
How can one turn around from comfort eating like I am. I'm eating to take away stress and other things and Im getting more stressed because I'm over eating.

Simon

Replies

• Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try to use exercise to get rid of stress?
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I did that. To help, I am putting together 100 calorie snacks in a box I can grab and have. I know how mcuh I am eating then. Also, I make a low-ish calorie chocolate fix to have when I don't feel well. I also drink tea or flavored water to help along with the stress eating.
  • davepat46
    Options
    go for a walk,best thing ever.
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually work out or I craft. Hobbies are really great when you have down time.. or when you're upset!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try to use exercise to get rid of stress?
    THIS^^^^^^^^
    Exercise totally changed how I deal with all the issues that once triggered my comfort eating episodes.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm a stress eater. I've had luck with excercise, meditation, making sure I take time to hang out with my furry friends first to relax and calm myself before I think about stuffing to bring down the BP. Learning to talk out my stress is helping as well. It's tough at first, but if you really want this you'll find alternatives to the fridge. Look at your food make up too. If you are eating a lot of processed and sugar and fat it will add to the stress and create a cycle of stress/eat. stress/eat. Healthier choices and detox the body for a bit all helped me.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    im the same with comfort eating n stress but do find a nice brisk walk helps keep me away from the fridge and relieves the stress as well as burns calories
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    Emotional eating (eating for any reason other than hunger) has a root or a cause. Maybe look into your thought patterns around eating and learn to dis-cipher whether you're actually hungry, or using food as a reliever. Therapy helps in figuring all that out. I think in the short-term, exercise, rest, fresh air all help but it won't get rid of the behaviour patterns.

Now if only I could start practise what I am preaching :D
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was a big-time comfort eater. I find starting the day with certain foods makes a huge difference for me - either oatmeal with a dollop of dark chocolate peanut butter, or something with 2-3 eggs (either an omelet, or scrambled w/cheese). Not originally a breakfast person (at all) so I've had to see it like brushing teeth, etc. Oatmeal w/PB or eggs w/cheese are my superfoods; I can't stress the positives this habit has introduced into my daily life.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've been told to just breathe deeply....and maybe do some yoga or bust out some dance moves...or if you're like me, get a punching bag and punch that sucker! ^^ I want to get one, but I need to acquire some extra money first haha. Let's see...gum, exercise, refreshing my motivation to lose weight (asking myself why I want to, why eating because of my emotions is a bad idea, etc), maybe a portion of dense food, peanut butter/cottage cheese....oh and stay away from the cigarettes! Good luck.
  • BethieBoops
    Options
    I have this same problem. I totally comfort eat because I get sad- and then I wander into the kitchen and grab some food. It makes me think of that How I Met Your Mother episode when Barney says, "When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead".

Probably words to live by... ha!
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to comfort eat on days when my osteoarthritis was really bad. until one day my husband said to me 'Dear, that food may taste nice but it's never going to make anything better, it just brings problems of it's own...'

After that I slowly began to realise that he was right. So I now either try and do something else (I like sewing and reading) or I find something I can eat but won't ruin my eating plan :) I also find that exercise is good for burning off stress as well as calories, having two children under 4 I need an outlet :P

Like all things, it takes time to change a habit, around 66 days infact but by day 2 you are already well on your way!

Good luck!
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    bump