Ladies Weight Lifting- How do you not get bored?

Options
Hi Ladies!

I am new to myfitnesspal.com and this is my first post. I am currently in a boot camp and they want us to start lifting weights. I know what I should be doing but I get through round 1 of a circuit and I'm done. Weight lifting is so boring! Even with the best songs cranked up on my ipod I cant seem to get into it.

How do you keep yourself motivated to do weights and weight circuits?

-unicornpoop

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have been using kettlebells for over 2 years now and I find them to be really fun and challenging, plus they work multiple muscle groups at once. I haven't gotten bored at all with kettlebell routines :) - maybe try looking into adding kettlebells to your routine - Best wishes!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier so that it feels brutal rather than boring :)
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy. The physical and mental challenge of it keeps me pumped. I also play aggressive music. I feel like a BEAST when I am lifting. Instead of doing a circuit and repeating, I do 2 sets of the same exercise with a min of rest between each set. When you are done, you're really done.

I'm newer to lifting but I LOVE IT!!
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    by knowing that Im gonna look great and that all the hard work is worth it. Yeah it leaves me sore afterwards..and for a day or two.....but I also feel great afterwards. Annnddddd of course its always nice if there are some good looking men working out as the same time I do. No...I dont feel silly.....I just do my thing..and watch them do theirs :)
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    I personally love weights! Lol I just imagine myself as some big female body builder. It is also fun if you make a friend there to motivate you ^^

Maybe set mini goals? Like Alrighty, this week I did four reps, next week I am going to do five!

I personally see myself as she hulk. xD 720746-shehulk_db_color_super.jpg but I am a bit of a comic book nerd :">
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options

^^Read my mind
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Things are usually less boring when they present a true challenge. If you're going through the motions with 2 pound dumbbells I would imagine it would get boring really fast. Not so if you're moving weights that are nearer your physical limits.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Agree.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh man!!! I LOVE lifting!! I get a similar high from it that I do from a really long run!!! Lift to maximum, it's a challenge, lift hard, lift long and you WILL NOT be bored!!! Stand in front of the mirrors while lifting and watch the muscles you are working, that really helps me focus. And raise your weights each week. Keep track, it's an amazing journey.

Sighhh, I :heart: lifting....
  • leeeska
    leeeska Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started doing Tabata training for both cardio and strength training! It has really helped me like exercise again!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy. The physical and mental challenge of it keeps me pumped. I also play aggressive music. I feel like a BEAST when I am lifting. Instead of doing a circuit and repeating, I do 2 sets of the same exercise with a min of rest between each set. When you are done, you're really done.

I'm newer to lifting but I LOVE IT!!

Same thing. Concentrating on finished the set because it is challenging keeps me occupied. I do work out a little different but I get through it the same way.

PS- crystal - I <3 your avatar.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I focus on one exercise at a time. I get my cardio out of the way. Then I pick my starting point. I lift 10 reps for 4 sets and write everything down. When I finish my 4 sets I move on to my next exercise. I work my arms and chest on the same day. When I finish those exercises I'm done for the day. I log everything. I always look to see how much I lifted the previous session and challenge myself by adding a pound or two and sometimes 5 :).

Challenge yourself. Watch yourself lift in in a mirror so you can see those muscles working. It looks great and makes you want to push through that set :).

Soon I plan to up the amount I lift while lowering my reps and upping my sets. So soon it will be 5 sets of 8 at a heavier weight.

I <3 goals.
  • Becks20vt
    Becks20vt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To echo everyone else, lift heavy, do compound movements like squats, deadlifts,overhead press and up the weight a little every time. It is amazing the difference it makes!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I keep my eye on the prize. Mostly I'm thinking oh *kitten* this is heavy!!
  • janiecaron
    Options
    eww
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    I personally die of boredom doing cardio. xD
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I find cardio excruciatingly boring. I have to set mini-goals to do it at all. I also hate to give up on something just because it's hard so that drives me during my (beloved!) lifting sessions.

You may want to check out the strength standards here ---> http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm and make some goals to work toward. If you lift primarily on machines, you can aim to up your weights, say, 5 lbs. or so each session. If you aren't charting your progress, then that is a mistake on a bunch of different levels but certainly not knowing how much progress you are making just by showing up and doing it will stoke the flames of boredom. It is incredibly motivating to see your gains creep up! And when they creep up enough you will have concrete evidence of what a badass you now are! Becoming a badass is rarely boring, in my experience.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I personally die of boredom doing cardio. xD

^^

+1 On the heavy lifting.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I find cardio terrifically boring and weight lifting almost meditative. I use it as an opportunity to relax and pay attention to my breathing and the symmetry of my body. I enjoy isolating muscle groups and individual muscles. I do lift free weights so I think I spend more time paying attention to form ect.

If I'm still getting bored with all that going on, I just watch the good looking guys. :tongue:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Becoming a badass is rarely boring, in my experience.

All I saw was this!!!!!! LOL!!! LOVE IT!! :laugh: