Laundry Room etiquette

Options
2»

Replies

• swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I set a timer. If someone's clothes have been done and are there for more than 30 minutes, I think it's within your rights to move them. We have a laundry room with 12 washers and dryers. What I think is the rudest thing ever is when people with huge families wait to do their laundry and then come in and literally take up all 12 at once! Plan ahead!
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was in first year at Uni I lived in Halls. We had one laundry for 3 buildings: we started the year with about 10 washers and 10 dryers for somewhere in the region of 300 people. By the end of the year we were down to 9 washers and 7 dryers. Nightmare doesn't even come into it.

The rule I tried to stick to was if any machine was nearly done or actually finished I'd wait around a while. I didn't want people to think I was being rude or snotty by taking their stuff out and dumping it. But once it'd been left for like 15-30 minutes then I think that's fair enough. I'd try to find somewhere reasonably clean looking to pile the clothes in. To me, they've been in a big heap inside the machine so the owner shouldn't have a problem with them being in a big heap outside the machine :laugh:

Towards the end of the year I had one episode that left me absolutely raging. I *always* made sure I knew when my wash was ready to end so I'd be down there 5 minutes early so I wasn't being rude by holding up the machine. I'd put my stuff in a dryer and left it drying, and an hour later went down to check it. Sometimes that was enough time, others it needed to go back on. So I got down there, and the door was standing open. My stuff was still inside, still dripping. Clearly someone had opened it within minutes of me leaving and not even bothered to shut the door. Rude or what? So I shut it, put it back on, and head out. An hour later go back. The door's standing open. My stuff is still soaked. Raging now. I bang the door, put it back on, stomp out. An hour later, I go back, guess what? Raging doesn't even cover it. Seriously, this happened THREE TIMES. So I sat waiting with it for the next hour. During that hour, someone opened the machine "to check whether it was done". And didn't bother to shut the d*** door. I actually nearly punched him! I felt like screaming "IF YOU SHUT THE D*** DOOR THE MACHINE WOULD'VE BEEN FREE 3 F******* HOURS AGO!!!!"

Wow. Rant over :D Sorry for hijacking :D
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    this is why I always rent an apartment with washer / dryer connections in the apartment... got my stackable set at an outlet store for only $150. It has a ding & scrape on the side that faces the wall, so no one even sees it. And if they did, who cares! It doesn't matter, the set works fine.

As for the laundry room fiasco, I would take the clothes out & not fold a bit of it. Like I tell my students, I am not their mama, so they have to clean up after themselves, and so the owner of the laundry needs to fold their own stuff. If they cannot get back in time to get their stuff out of the dryer before it wrinkles, then oh well ~ learn how to iron!! Leave a note as a courtesy & tell them as much... and good luck!! :glasses:
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lived in an apartment where there was a laundry room for every floor. On my floor my apartment was right next to the laundry room so I could hear when the washer was done. I was always very quick to get my clothes out, because I hate it when people touch my clothes. It's just one of my irks. I would always check to see if it was going since it was, you know, right next door.

One day, the washer had *just* finished spinning and I was walking in to get my clothes out when the click from the lid release went off, and this person started pulling them out and putting them on the counter that was dirty. I was so angry, I said "Um excuse me" they responded that they couldn't have waited. It wasn't like they were left there, they had just finished.

I never removed anybody's laundry, unless I really had to get it done for work.