Alone?

Options
Today I made some tasty spinach eggs and spinach chips for breakfast/lunch, It is not bad, but my boyfriend is having an entire box of maccaroni with butter and milk. Its so much harder being healthy with that going on, he eats whatever he wants whenever he wants, It's a hard adjustment to not join him. Anyone else have this going on at home? If so how do you deal with it? Or does it get easier?

Replies

• Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Never get's easier.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am sure many MFP folks would tell the same tale. I often times make two dinners, one for them one for me, lol. Or I make them cook if it's something really tempting. I have kind of drug them a bit closer to my side but I still have to provide Pizza and other stuff of that type. Good thing I'm GF (gluten free) it does help avoid a lot of the pitfalls. Just hang in there and come to MFP when you need positive reinforcement to keep you going and don't worry about him.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    This used to be me. My fiancee can almost eat whatever he wants. He did however learn as a child not to overeat, stop when you're full, etc so he's got some better habits than I do.

I am the one that makes all the meals in my house (a deal we made when we first moved in together - I cook, he cleans up after me when I make a mess in the kitchen ha ha) so I can better control what I eat. He always eats the same things I do just more of it. I also do the main part of groceries - he comes along and helps grab everything but I usually am the one to say what we need. He's very supportive of my weight loss goals so he doesn't bring home crap foods like he used to sometimes.

Who does the grocery shopping in your house? Can you just not have those things in the house? Ultimately though, you're going to be around temptation all your life so better to start getting used to handling it now lol.... You can eat what he eats when you want it. When my fiancee has things like mac and cheese, I'll have some too but I'll take a small coffee cup that holds like 3/4 a cup of things and put some in there and I'm good.

The more you resist the easier it can get ... IMO you shouldn't deny yourself anything, just eat small portions.
  • bringnsparkleback
    bringnsparkleback Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can only say that once you get the momentum to get going you will do better. I was feeling sad about my six lb loss in the last month so I took my measurements. I have actually lost 7.5 inches in two weeks....so that puts me back in a better frame of mind. I'm getting ready to get on the treadmill for the day. My boyfriend wants to make teriyaki chicken for him and the kids tonight. I'm gonna have to think about how hard I worked on the treadmill to burn those exact calories that I would be reingesting. So yes, I sometimes do feel like I'm on my own...but that means you can claim later that " I lost x lbs by myself ".
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Not only does my husband eat whatever he wants, he mindlessly goes on and on about how delicious it is "Mmmmmm this is SOOO good" .. or "I want to eat ______ soo bad, we should get it for dinner" and I have to remind him to STFU because I'm trying to be healthier lol. Its hard sometimes but I've kind of gotten used to it.
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey chick!

I go though it too at times with DH. BUT I usually cook healthy and he just eats it. If I make something bad and it isn't anything he would eat truthfully I pitch it since I'm not wasting my calories on yukkie stuff or even food people bring into the studio...snacks etc. I finally realized after I lost a little weight that he can do what he wants to do and I praise myself for being strong and just that much closer to my goals for the day and goal weight :) I think the entire key to a life change is to be strong. Don't know if this helps you any but it's what I do.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I live alone and have no outside interference from significant others. While this has many negative drawbacks, the positives are that I shop for myself and I do not have to worry about someone sabotaging my efforts.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    All the time. It doesn't get any easier. :(
  • amandaew83
    amandaew83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my house! My husband eats whatever he wants...Plus my low fat treats!! Drives me nuts.....
  • just because your on a diet doesn't mean you can't enjoy your food, i mean i still have my cheesecake for breakfast on most days, its a combination of the good and the bad to make you psychologically more adherent to your diet. If your having trouble with adherence because your bf is eating in a certain pattern i think you should re-structure your diet program...just advice, sorry if it sounds mean its not intended to be.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    yep, my husband doesn't watch what he eats at all, and he should as he is over weight also, but every time I see him eat, it really does make me kind of nauseous so it doesn't make me want to eat like he does. And I keep bragging to him all the time about my weight loss hoping he will join me soon.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think it does get easier. Really, it's all about coming up with alternatives or foods that are healthy but you enjoy. If you don't like spinach, then don't eat it. Why do that to yourself?

I love pizza! Smelling it when the family would eat it drove me crazy! So I came up with a way I could eat pizza. I now make mine on a tortilla shell with healthy toppings. It delicious!!! And about 360 calories. :)
    My man likes to snack on ice cream, chocolate bars, candy, etc. It's been hard to sit and watch that and not participate. Now I blend frozen fruit (my fav is blueberries) and a tiny bit of milk. I get what I call my creamy fruit ice cream. It takes me awhile to eat and is enjoyable and therefore his snacking doesn't bother me.

Some really awesome treats I eat are my alternatives to Cheesecake and a Ice Cream Sandwich. YUM!
    For the cheesecake, use Low Fat Graham Crackers and Light Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges. Taste like cheesecake and is very low in calories, fat, etc.
    For the ice cream sandwiches, use Fat Free Cool Whip and put it in between the Low Fat Graham Crackers and ten pop in freezer. This ones good!! :)

You also need to let yourself indulge once in awhile. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy and end up binging anyways. And trust me, this never feels good!

Feel free to add me if you need any more friends. :) Take care!
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    They are all right.. It NEVER gets easier, he eats my food and his =(
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I had expected to go through this over the weekends when I stay at someone else's house, but I lucked out and they joined me on restocking the cupboards. Nevertheless, I prepared for it and made sure that I had enough healthy(er) snacks to keep my mind off the junk food that we used to share. I've actually come to prefer salami and provolone cheese on crackers over potato chips now because of it.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do the shopping so it's much easier around here, I don't buy it. Hubby is welcome to eat whatever he wants, but I won't enable it by buying it for him (he doesn't have the best eating habits either). Similar to when he was smoking, I won't stop him, but I won't help either. Same goes for the kids. We're making a lifestyle change so I try hard for things that taste good that everyone likes but are better for ALL of us. Often it's just a matter of me watching portions...
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My husband is a high rise window cleaner and he basically rock climbs all day. So he eats whatever he wants. I make the meals in our house which he eats. But I have to ignore his fatty snacks and eat healthier ones because he needs all the calories and I don't. It is really hard and I struggle with it every day.
  • coreymusonda
    coreymusonda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Temptation always comes from somewhere, whether it's at home or elsewhere. I am trying hard not to do what my own mother did to me growing up. She always made herself a small portion of healthy food and complained the whole time about how we were all so lucky we could eat everything we wanted. As kids she taught my brother and I that we were lucky to over-endulge and eat very unhealthy foods, and he and I both struggle with our weight all the time now as adults.

So, yes it's hard to be on the lower calorie intake of life while losing weight, but I am trying really hard to provide food for my kids and husband that is both healthy and delicious, I just eat about the same portions as the kids while he gets regular adult portions.

But it really doesn't get easier!!! I still wish I could simply call up the pizza guy and stuff my face like we used to do 2-3 times a week before I started using MFP.
  • jmllmj
    jmllmj Posts: 12
    Options
    You just eat healthy and ignore everyone else. If he wants to eat like his stomach is a garbage dump then let him.
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My husband eats what I put on the table...if he wants something different, he knows where the kitchen is.
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am sure many MFP folks would tell the same tale. I often times make two dinners, one for them one for me, lol.

This happens to me all of the time. The only difference is I'm a vegetarian and my roomates will not eat veggies. At least by making seperate meals everyone is happy. As long as your food stays healthy and delicious it'll be easier to watch him eat.