A question for the UK peeps...

Options

Replies

• JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    In America the traditional way is using what are called Graham Crackers -- no idea if those are available in the UK but somewhat similar to a whole meal digestive biscuit. Then you put a piece of chocolate bar in the middle with the hot marshmallow. But on a recent camping trip I learned a much better way -- put the marshmallow between two chocolate covered biscuits. The ones we used were Keebler Fudge Stripes. Melts better than the traditional chocolate and much easier. Enjoy.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Haven't toasted marshmallows since I was a kid... so probably about 30 odd yrs ago.

mum used to love Princess pink & white marshmallows, but we didn't have an open fire. I've got one now, but I've never toasted anything in front of it. Ought to get some muffins, but I'm kinda off bread products at the moment :ohwell:
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yep everytime I go camping! Love it!!!
  • Joanne_C
    Options
    Often have them when camping, toasting them over the camp fire they're delish :D
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am from the UK and I used to do it all the time. I command you to get a candle and do it.

Also to the Americans here, what biscuits should you use for smores? I had them made for me once and I'd like them again!

They are called Graham Crackers...which you evidently don't have...grrrrrr

I will order some in for 4th July and have a themed day! Planning ahead with my treats!!
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I have when I was in Guides, and when I took the Brownie unit I used to lead on their weekend away, but outside of Guiding I haven't.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Can we get plain white ones here in the uk? I mean not a mixed pink and white bag?
  • beckie4442
    Options
    yummy! This is a must!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm from Kent and we definitely do it here - mainly around bonfire night
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Done it many times... but was introduced to it in Canada when I visited family over there.

I also made Smores...

For those who haven't had Smores:

1) Get the outside of marshmallow all crispy toasted
    2) Gently twist to center of the marshmallow out and eat it, yum
    3) Put a single square of chocolate into the middle of the marshmallow case
    4) Sandwich the marshmallow/chocolate between two wafers
    5) Enjoy

I think in america you can get 'Smore Flavor Pop Tarts' ... something that would be a huge disaster to my diet if we had them here ;)
  • hslruns
    Options
    Biscuits=graham crackers in the US
  • Sibby123
    Options
    Hell Ye! Tastes so nommy!!
  • lozzae85
    Options
    Hell yeah - normally over a BBQ! ( or just over my gas hob does ther same trick)
  • dbeamish
    dbeamish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Biscuits=graham crackers in the US

erm.. I wouldn't say so. Graham crackers look like a brand where as biscuits can be lots of things.

Yes - had marshmallows on a stick often on bonfire night. Not for a long time now though. However it will be something I introduce my son to, once we get a garden big enough to have a fire in.
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    I am from the UK and I used to do it all the time. I command you to get a candle and do it.

Also to the Americans here, what biscuits should you use for smores? I had them made for me once and I'd like them again!

They are called Graham Crackers...which you evidently don't have...grrrrrr

You can get Graham Crackers in the American section at lots of grocery stores... the "Americatessen" at Budgens for example. They only cost about $9 a box! LOL Not worth it.
  • angie3005
    angie3005 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yum yes.....they toast great over those little tealight candles :)
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    a stick that could be covered in dog wee, bugs, who knows!!!

Naw, we whip out our pocket knives (in our back pocket tucked in next to our personal handguns) and carve the end to a clean, sharp point first.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Graham crackers!

Marshmallows are FAT FREE! Granted, they are high in sugar. This year I found chocolate marshmallows, pink peppermint swirl marshmallows and yellow snow:laugh: man marshmallows (vanilla). Now they have JUMBO marshmallows (2-3x normal size). They've gone mallow crazy here!

I have roasted them over a candle and the gas burner. My fav: hold it close to flame until on fire, blow out then slide charred layer off, pop in mouth. Repeat. True aficienados carefully toast the marshmallow, rotating it until evenly light brown and squishy. I'm too impatient.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Always done this on family camping holidays when I was a kid. Now I just tend to have them on bonfire night.
  • empage81
    empage81 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm toasted marshmallows. I am from the the UK and I have toasted marshmallows over an open fire, a BBQ, the gas fire in my mum and dad's house, a candle, the gass hob and my favourie; a blow torch.

Totally want one now...