Curry recipe please

Options
MiNiMoNkI
MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
Hi im a veggie and looking to make homemade curries, i always buy jars but would love to start from scratch.

I am happy to fill it with things of choice but need to know how to make the actual base, i.e the sauce

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Most curries start with a paste that is fried at the beginning (i don't blitz mine like a lot suggest, i just chop it finely) which is normally onions, garlic, chilli, fresh ginger and spices (the spices vary for different curries but most include cumin, coriander and turmeric or graham masala) and then later to make it 'saucey' you would normally add tinned or fresh tomatoes or stock, and sometimes coconut milk. A good vegetable curry is also a lentil or chick pea 'dahl' as they contain protein. Have you ever tried ready made curry pastes? they are better than sauces in my opinion but not as much work as making it from scratch.

i normally do something like this depending on what I have in the house-

• cook a large onion, 5 cloves of crushed garlic and a knob of fresh ginger (grated) in a tiny glug of oil until soft. You can also add fresh chopped chilli if you like it hot!

• add 1tsp of cumin, 1tsp of coriander, 1tsp of turmeric, 1tsp of curry powder, mix through and continue to heat to let the spices give out their flavour.

• add diced vegetables (enough for about 4 people) (I like butternut squash, sweet potato, carrrot, cauliflour, or i sometimes add chickpeas and use spinach later on) and coat in the spice mixture and heat

• add enough stock to cover and 1 tin of coconut milk (i like low-fat!)

• allow the whole thing to cook for a bit and until the veg is tender.

• add frozen peas or spinach if desired (i like the texture) and allow to heat through

• add a handful of fresh coriander and the juice of half a lemon. The original recipe also calls for sultanas and desiccated coconut sprinkled on top at this point but I usually don't bother.

Other variety-

use less stock and use chopped fresh tomato and red and green peppers
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bett, thank you, thats making ym mouth water. MY mum never taught me to cook, im 30 and only last week did i make my first ever cake! shocking i know x
  • VictoriaAStone
    Options
    I love curry, i usually buy jar stuff but i would like to make my own!!! Prob abit healthier. I will try the above sounds delicious :drinker:
  • bananniek
    Options
    I'll be trying this! Thank you:)
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am veggie as well and eat curry probably every second day...

-try starting with onion+garlic+grated ginger in a bit of olive oil first, then add veggies

-try getting some garam masala if you can find it, this is one of the spice blends that makes curry taste "like curry"

-some spices I love to mix are: black mustard seeds, cumin, coriander (whole or ground), chili powder, chili flakes,

-instead of using coconut milk, try making your curry with a base of chopped fresh tomatoes, roasted eggplants, or red lentils + veggie stock (turns mushy when you cook it down)

3 of my favorite things:
    -roasted mashed eggplant + chopped tomatos + frozen peas + (chick peas or tofu for protein if you wish) + onions/garlic/ginger + spices (curry powder/garam masala/cumin/chili flakes)

-red lentils + 1 pckg frozen spinach + sweet potatos + veggie broth + onions/garlic/ginger + spices <--all cooks down into a really nice stew type consistency

-for a more exotic curry sauce: start with onions, garlic and curry spices of your choice, add chopped tomato and mangos, water and cook down until everything is soft and sauce thickens <--this works really nicely over cooked rice/couscous/barley, with steamed veggies or whatever you'd like to use it on

Enjoy
    -C :)