sugar free gum... count it or no?

Options
Hey guys,

so I've been on a sugarfree gum kick for a while... when I think I'm hungry, I chew some sugarfree gum to take my mind off food... but what I noticed, even though it's sugarfree, there's 5 calories per stick! I haven't been counting it because I figure it's GOT to burn more calories to chew than you actually consume (seeing as how you don't swallow the gum... normally...)... is that right? or am I 'cheating' myself by not counting?

Replies

• Jamie145
    Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i wud count it :) i count mine..
  • marianon
    marianon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You clearly feel guilty about it. Get rid of the guilt by posting it. You'll feel much better.
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I count my calories -( Extra)... never really thought about the chewing factor. :wink:
  • rlgraves
    rlgraves Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Id rather be safe then sorry..Id count it and hey if you do burn more calories than that is just less than what you actually ate or well chewed in that matter..no sweat count it and its ok..
  • shellyamyethan
    shellyamyethan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    haha, this just reminded me that I chewed a piece of gum on my way to work this morning, now I need to go log it in my food diary :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Use your best judgement. 2-3 peices? eh...a whole pack of 24? maybe. This is your life plan, so if you feel guilty log it, if not don't.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    geez I dont lol. I have maybe 8 pieces a day - always have... I dont think 40cals will do any harm!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    I don't count it. Just because I'll chew on a piece of gum for hours at my desk before I finally spit it out (even if it's long lost its flavour, haha). You can count it if you want to include that 1g of carb in each piece, but it doesn't make a great variance. Unless you're chewing an absurd amount of it :P
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks guys! I was just curious... I think I'll start logging it ;)
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I count mine!! :blushing:
  • Karenlavonne1958
    Options
    I try not to use all my calories for the day so if I have misjudged something I have room for error. So if I have 5 pieces of gum at 5 calories a piece, I am still good.15849393.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't generally count gum or mints because I have them a lot (oral fixation) and I usually eat those instead of meals haha (bad, I know). Plus if I don't, with my anxiety twiches, I end up destroying the skin on my hands and arms, and chewing up my mouth. I had to concentrate on a test for an hour the other day and chewed completely through my lip!

I don't count it, but I make a mental note that I'm probably consuming like 5 extra cals a day. But I'm NEVER anywhere near my limit anyway (just can't eat that much! waaaaay too many cals), so I guess it doesn't really matter.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you're not having heaps of gum you'll be fine not logging it.

If you are having a rediculous amount, the laxitive effect should counterract the calories anyway! :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think it has sodium too? I forget to count gum sometimes--I doubt it truly makes a difference anyway.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I never do... I figure that the 5 calories from a piece of gum (that gets chewed for at least an hour) are a lot better than the 280 calories from the Snickers bar I could have eaten instead. Unless I'm going to chew an entire pack, I really don't see the point.

But hey, to each their own :smile:
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're not having heaps of gum you'll be fine not logging it.

If you are having a rediculous amount, the laxitive effect should counterract the calories anyway! :wink: :laugh: :laugh:

haha, ewwww
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I count it mainly because I don't want to break the habit of counting everything. I really don't think it counts in the grand scheme of things though. Try chewing half a piece at a time. I used to tease my mom for doing it, but now I do too!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    depends, my gum is less than 5calories a piece, so if i chew like 5pieces a day, that's like 15calories. some days i say what the heck count it, but seriously, NO BIG DEAL. oh and gum has flavor even if no sugar, so you still get the calories even if you don't swallow the gum
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You should count everything you have that has any calories even gum. Even though it may be only a few calories, that few calories can add up. If you had 10 pieces of gum a day or a couple pieces of gum, a bite of someones cake, 2 potato chips. These types of things slowly add up. Even some vitamins have calories in them that should be counted. You also have to consider your goals? If you are trying to lose weight then absolutely you need to count it. If you are trying to maintain, probably not as important.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't count them. Most sugar-free gums run about 5 calories a stick/serving......it's not like I chew 20 pieces of gum in a day.