Sleep or lack thereof...

Options
I have never been a great sleeper. I'm hit with bouts of insomnia every 2-3 months. However, since I started on MFP and started watching calories and eating healthy my sleep has gone downhill.

I am fairly good about going to bed at the same time. Usually 10:30-11. I can always fall asleep easily but I wake up frequently throughout the night. Usually once every hour after about 1am. Wide awake at 5am.

Anyone else have any sleep issues since changing up the diet? Or even better, suggestions for staying asleep for a good nights sleep?

Replies

• runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    had some issues myself actually... i figured it was just my metabolism going crazy ... keeping me up .. OR perhaps my sugar intake ... who knows ... it will be interesting seeing the feedback here!! Either way, I hope you start getting better sleep soon!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sleep like a log every night. Usually a trip to the bathroom-thanks to all the H2O I drink. Go to bed at 10pm up at 545am, on the treadmill by 630 am. Are you drinking any caffeine in the eve?

Sweet dreams.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Is your life stressful in other ways?

That is what causes my bouts of insomnia. Worrying about something I need to solve.

• missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible insomnia- a side effect of another medical condition which I have. I noticed once I started dieting and going to the gym it practically cured it. I'm now tired at a decent time of night, and I generally wake up around 8 or 9 in the morning. It's been the most welcome surprise.

Usually, though, if I can't sleep, I write in my journal- or call someone to talk- empty all of the thoughts in my head so I can finally get some rest.

If it gets too bad, you can always talk to your doctor about it.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Remember to stop drinking water, and preferably eating at least 3 hours before bed. May be worth exploring some of the natural aids to sleep. I just have Horlix, but still adjusting to my water intake now I have upped it...
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    When do you workout?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    When do you exercise?

Try doing the heavier-dutier stuff earlier in the day... maybe just a slow walk in the evening.

I second the idea of cutting down on food later in the day... except maybe some whole grain carbs before bed (a bowl of oatmeal?).

Get most of your water earlier in the day...

Take up meditation.

Are you too warm in bed now? Not unusual if your metabolism is kicking up. Try lowering the heat a bit. Use another blanket that you can easily kick off during the night.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Are you wound up at the end of the day? Apparently magnesium is a good supplement for stress etc. Or could could try Tart Cherry juice?
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've often slept like crap since joining MFP. It's worse when I work out in the evening (which I no longer do since I figured that out).
    But I rarely sleep like a rock anymore...either multiple awakenings, or I wake up and have a hard time falling back to sleep. It's not water, and only sometimes am I overwarm. I'm not sure what to do either, but it's highly annoying.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You might be overtraining. Give yourself a week off of the gym (which you should do anyways every 12 weeks anyways) and see if that helps.
  • JennyBB125
    Options
    Im a nurse that works at night and sleeps in the day 3x/wk so my sleep cycle is everywhere but I learned to adjust. Have you ever tried Melatonin? I used to take it because I would wake up at 6a every morning when I first started and it seemed to help. Otherwise, I would suggest no naps during the day, decrease amount of coffee if you drink it and try to do relaxing activities at night. Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night dont get up and watch tv or anything, I think your supposed to just stay in bed.

Do you have any anxiety or do you think about things you have to do the coming morning? I can't sleep if I do this...
  • SixPackIsMyGoal
    SixPackIsMyGoal Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. I do workout in the mornings but I workout 7 days a week. sometimes, recently, squeezing in a couple workouts per day on the weekends. I'm thinking that over-exercise might be a possible reason. I think i am going to take a few days off (in a row) this week and see if that helps.

Oddly, last night I slept great, first time in a couple weeks. Maybe just posting the problem helped.. :)
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm awake now... so yeah I always have sleeping problems... maybe that's why I gain weight lol or part of it...
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly like me, went to bed last night around 11 and up at 4:30AM.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5468789/Exercise-can-keep-you-awake-not-put-you-to-sleep-study-finds.html

I do two days on one day off. Ironically I find the easiest time to sleep is about 30 minutes after I get done working out.. afterwards I'm wide awake.
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big sleeper in general. I actually get "teased" that I'm good at everything BUT sleeping. Luckily I still have tons of energy, but am afraid one day this won't be the case. :frown:
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Same...been up since 2am, now 3:30am. I don't know if its related to my cell phone cause I'm always on it or what...
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Another thing might be your bed? when was the last time you got a new mattress? they do make a HUGE difference.