Blacking out when getting up?

Options
Anyone else have this issue? I went to the doc, and she said its because my blood pressure is very low. I've gotten to the point that its so normal for me, I just walk through the black out till the light comes back.... Anyone else?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get that quite often. I also have very low blood pressure.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    i used to get that many years ago. please don't just walk through the black! stand up near something you can hang onto and wait until you can see where you are going (only takes a few seconds, right?). there is a possibility you can take a headlong dive into the floor, like i did. thankfully, at that time i was young and didn't get any permanent damage.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was a kid. I guess it was the point where I was taller than my blood pressure, lol. I have to anticipate problems when I first get up in the morning, when I arise from a squat, when it's really hot out, or after I donate blood. Fortunately I don't get it from standing in one place, like a lot of people do. I've never fainted, because I put my head down or squat if I get anything more than the usual momentary orange spots in front of my eyes.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I'm NOT a doctor but I've had this happen in years past while I was pregnant. My doctor said to move my legs before even sitting up in bed. Lift my legs, flex my ankles, roll my ankles, just do anything to get my blood pressure "raising" before I "raise." It helped me. If I jumped out of bed....black out....if I lay there a couple of mins. I'm good. I'd go back and let your doctor know it is still going on. That's not normal. :) GL!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have this as well. I had mild high blood pressure before I lost the weight, now my doctor jokes that I have no blood pressure, it's so low at rest. I only developed this after my blood pressure went down, so I do believe it's due to the blood pressure.

Get up slowly, especially from reclining. Sit first, then stand. If you're sitting, stand up slower than you're used to. If you feel the blackness coming (I can tell before everything goes gray) just put your hand on something, stand there and wait for it to pass. If you're like me you don't actually black out but you're in no condition to walk safely either.

It sucks, but I'm not sure there's anything they can do to treat it.
  • I have very low blood pressure as well...however, the blackouts only occur when I do not eat frequently enough. Ever since I started eating every 2-3 hours the problem went away. Same calories, just spread out differently.
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's called postural hypotension. It's pretty normal, especially if you've had high blood pressure previously. Your body gets use to the high blood pressure and when you all of a sudden have lower blood pressure your body can't adjust fast enough. Basically, all of your blood gets forced downward when you stand up. Give it time and it might stop. Until then, make sure to sit on the edge of the bed, etc until you get your bearings and then stand up nice and slow. This should help. Also hold onto something when first standing. Concussions are no fun!
  • janac777
    janac777 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    my 20 yr old daughter does this all the time. i took her to a neurologist and he said it is cuz her blood pressure is very very low cuz she is a runner. she is 5'6 and weighs 114 so he said for her to gain 5 lbs and eat more frequently and add salt into her diet more. she still gets light headed but hasnt passed all the way out since.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me since I was a kid. I also highly recommend not trying to walk through the black - I have hit the floor trying to do that before. Sometimes if I sit down when I feel it coming on, I'll still open my eyes and I'm lying on the ground. Be careful!
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem since I was young too. I never had any doctor tell me what the problem might be until I blacked out while walking and almost passed out while pregnant with my oldest. At that point, dehydration was the cause of the problem. While pregnant with my second I had anemia and had severe problems with the black outs, they would not pass in a couple of seconds, they stuck around. So I try to stay hydrated and increase my iron whenever they become overly common.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I was in high school - I was 5'11", weighed 130 soaking wet, and had very low blood pressure. Every time I went to go stand up after sitting a while, I had to get up slowly with my head between my legs. It ended up being the way I just got up every single time. No questions asked... otherwise, I'd faint!

It went away after I got older, gained weight, and my blood pressure went up.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have this problem, but it's caused by one of my medications and usually only happens if I get up in the middle of the night since i take it before bed.

I also have low blood pressure and if it happens during the day, it's usually because I'm not eating enough
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    Same here ..I get it too. Like others have said, get up slowly.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    same. Its better for me when I eat more salt.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Black out? No. Brown out? daily. I go "brown" several times a day. Always have. Doc says yeah, it's low blood pressure.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have this issue when I eat super low calories...it must affect my bp

strangely enough, I actually have super HIGH bp :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I was in high school - I was 5'11", weighed 130 soaking wet, and had very low blood pressure. Every time I went to go stand up after sitting a while, I had to get up slowly with my head between my legs. It ended up being the way I just got up every single time. No questions asked... otherwise, I'd faint!

It went away after I got older, gained weight, and my blood pressure went up.
    THIS. In high school I would actually BLACK out. I was 5'6" and 92LBS.
    Now it's just kinda... brown.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I walk through the darkness and it fades almost as quick as it comes on. But be careful, sometimes the darkness can get worse after you stand up and walk, and that is when you fall down.

Falling down is fun but it pulls muscles, gives you bruises, and can be really dangerous sometimes. I have been ultra lucky never to hit my head when I fell down.
  • AmericanCowboy76
    AmericanCowboy76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Couple weekends ago I tasted dirt after 5 secs on a pretty vicious bull... I was seeing black for days lol!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    same. Its better for me when I eat more salt.

this is what the doctor recommended to me and it actually works

and he recommended coffee.

but he didn't call it postural hypotension or whatever. he called it a vazo vagez drop (or something of the sort)