Just A Fad

Options
This is what my husband said to me today. He said, "your diet is just a fad". I informed him that its not a diet and it is a lifestyle change. I know I will slip up here and there but losing weight is a slow process. I didnt gain it overnight and it will take just as much time if not longer to get it off and keep it off. I can still eat ice cream and pizza but it needs to be in moderation. He then said " IF you do lose the weight I doupt you will be able to keep it off". Someone who is suposed to be my biggest supporter basically just told me I suck and to learn to deal with how I look. I have lost 23 lbs since October and I have much more to go but I am not giving up. It is just heart breaking when someone who is suposed to suport you dosnt beleive in you. :(

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Punch him in the balls!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, he's probably just afraid that he coudn't do it and is projecting it on you (as well as being worried about what effect your new lifestyle will have on him and his meals!). In any case, the best thing you can do is prove him wrong! Won't it be great to be able to tell him "I told you so" and to bring him around to be a believer?

You do your thing and take care of you... bet your success and confidence will rub off on him!
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    You are not alone. My family thinks the same thing. I am doing it for myself whether they think it's a fad or not. I'm not going to let them detour me from my goal. You've already done a great job on your journey. 23lbs is a great accomplishment!
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I don't really get support form my fiance (but he's just a very quite person whom, works completely opposite hours than me). My co-workers and friends at work are the BEST! I tell them my progress and they are so excited for me. Even the guy friends know i want to loose 100 lbs. I told one of them and he said I'd be a skeleton..i laughed. Anyway, you can do it..
    One of my favorite sayings : "No matter how slow you go, you are lapping everyone on the couch" Plus we are here for you.
    ^.^
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Punch him in the balls!

AND LIGHT HIM ON FIRE!
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Punch him in the balls!

I second!!!
  • lis_4582
    lis_4582 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Punch him in the balls!

AMEN!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Butthead!!! Do it for you girl....he may not be there in a few more years!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Such a shame to hear. I wouldn't ever tell anyone something like that. A partner is supposed to be the one who has the most faith in you, ideally anyway. All I can really say is keep going at it to prove him wrong. You've done great so far!
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have always had an unsuportive family. At 170 I was overweight but I was told by my parents to eat something because I look sick. Now I get "23 lbs, thats nothing, your still fat" UGH. I just never thought my husband would be unsuportive. It hurts. Hes 125 lbs 5 '8 and he eats MD every day for lunch. He eats more calories in 1 day then I do in a week. Part of the reason I gained so much weight was due to the unhealthy foods in our house.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just keep that in the back of your mind for motivation...in a few months when your all slim and sexy and he is still the same old him..lol
  • Ironducky
    Ironducky Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I don't really get support form my fiance (but he's just a very quite person whom, works completely opposite hours than me). My co-workers and friends at work are the BEST! I tell them my progress and they are so excited for me. Even the guy friends know i want to loose 100 lbs. I told one of them and he said I'd be a skeleton..i laughed. Anyway, you can do it..
    One of my favorite sayings : "No matter how slow you go, you are lapping everyone on the couch" Plus we are here for you.
    ^.^
  • Ironducky
    Ironducky Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love your favourite saying!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's worried that you'll get too hot for him & dump him! Since he's such a jerk you may not want to wait!
  • OrangeCamera
    Options
    I have always had an unsuportive family. At 170 I was overweight but I was told by my parents to eat something because I look sick. Now I get "23 lbs, thats nothing, your still fat" UGH. I just never thought my husband would be unsuportive. It hurts. Hes 125 lbs 5 '8 and he eats MD every day for lunch. He eats more calories in 1 day then I do in a week. Part of the reason I gained so much weight was due to the unhealthy foods in our house.

Um, tell him if he's not supportive, you have a way of losing 125 pounds of worthless weight pretty quickly.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's worried that you'll get too hot for him & dump him! Since he's such a jerk you may not want to wait!

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    WOW just WOW I am sorry he is not being supportive!!

My husband is supportive but like its a wow hun i lost a pound and thats good lmao he does not get it personally cause he has always been small and can eat like 5 burgers and lose 10 pounds lol He has said to me joking (but we all know there is a little truth in some type of joking) said dont go leaving when you lose this all and stuff like that cause he is insecure. I laugh cause i was thin when he met me lmao but your husband might just be afraid of the attention and confidence u have.
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Um, tell him if he's not supportive, you have a way of losing 125 of worthless weight pretty quickly.
    [/quote]

haha love it!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Sounds like insecurity to me!

Use his doubt as inspiration. You're a woman. You're always right... It comes with the vagina. Just let this be another thing to say 'I told you so!' On.

;)
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. I know it has to be disheartening, especially since you've already shown you can do it. I'm glad to hear that it won't discourage you from continuing. Good for you!