tips to get fit and toned in less than 6 weeks?

Options
I am going away in 6 weeks and want to look as good as I possibly can :) I have wanted this for a long time but this trip kicked it into high gear...I am 31...weigh 120lbs and I'm 5'4...I have two kids so my body has been stretched and back but I hope to still be able to tone up. I always say I care more about how I look and feel than I do about what the scale says. I haven't really lost any weight since my start 3 weeks ago but feel like I should to reveal the muscles I'm TRYING to tone. anyway, any dvd's suggestions? I'm currently flip flopping between a few jillian michaels dvds i have...i am see my body tighten slightly but again not losing weight and I'm not sure this is going to be my quickest way to a tighter more toned body. I am up to hear any suggestions. P90x scares me to be honest, considered turbo fire but don't know much about it but if anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it. I really want to feel good and not self conscious not just on this trip but in life. We haven't gone away in 10 yrs...i want to enjoy it and not worry about how i look you know?

thanks for reading and any suggestions you have :)

Replies

• JustTracyB
    Options
    Try kettlebells. But a real kettlebell workout not Jillian who uses poor form that can hurt yourself. There a couple that come to mind and can be found on Amazon. RKS Workout, but is kind of expensive, but it's 16 different workouts. Lauren Brooks has a couple geared towards beginner. You shouldn't go lighter than 15 or 18 pounds to be effective. KBs work strength and cardio. body changes are seen in about a week! It's fun and different if you haven't tried them.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Hmmm I haven't done kettle bells. It's definitely a thought. Thanks ;)
  • sbb4406
    sbb4406 Posts: 65
    Options
    Try kettlebells. But a real kettlebell workout not Jillian who uses poor form that can hurt yourself. There a couple that come to mind and can be found on Amazon. RKS Workout, but is kind of expensive, but it's 16 different workouts. Lauren Brooks has a couple geared towards beginner. You shouldn't go lighter than 15 or 18 pounds to be effective. KBs work strength and cardio. body changes are seen in about a week! It's fun and different if you haven't tried them.

Is JM's workout really that bad? I've seen a few threads on here about how people got great results from it, and was considering starting it soon. (Referring to Shred it with Weights... not sure if she has another)
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Give INSANITY a try. I am on day 7 (Rest day since INSANITY gives 1 rest day a week) and it is AMAZING. It will push you past your limits, but it will be worth it in the long run and it will give you the results you want. Good luck.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Give INSANITY a try. I am on day 7 (Rest day since INSANITY gives 1 rest day a week) and it is AMAZING. It will push you past your limits, but it will be worth it in the long run and it will give you the results you want. Good luck.

yea i;ve seen that one too..don't know if I have that type of workout in me I have to be honest...I know that sounds weak but I just don't know if I could do that and stick to it
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options

yea i;ve seen that one too..don't know if I have that type of workout in me I have to be honest...I know that sounds weak but I just don't know if I could do that and stick to it
    Everyone is different. If someone wants to achieve a goal, it shouldn't matter how hard something is. The goal you want to achieve will usually have an object in the way and try to stop you from reaching that goal, but you shouldn't let it. You just have to believe in yourself and push through. I'm not saying that it's easy, but nothing worth going for in life is ever easy. If you achieve a goal without trying too hard, it won't feel as good as if you did work hard to achieve that goal. I don't mean to get all psychological on you. lol Sorry. Go for whatever you think works for you and do what you must to achieve it. Good luck! :)
  • visualsoul
    Options
    there is so much hype about the new way to work out..my suggestion, use your body as resistance. you seem to be at your goal weight so basic push ups, squats, lounges and sit ups and some cardio (jumping rope is my favorite) should do the job. i would create a circuit and do them all in 30 second intervals. 30 secs for each exercise, then throw in some cardio, rest for 30 secs and do it again for 30 minutes, it will be a quick workout but you will see amazing results..that is if you are eating right:)
  • SkinnierHealthierMe
    Options
    I use Jillian's 30ds, I freaking love it.
  • KatieEstle
    Options
    weight training! The more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn even at rest. Plus it will give you that nice toned look we all want! the trick is not to fall into the "lots of reps, low weight" thing that women have been buying into for years. You want a high weight, high enough that by the time you are on your 9th rep you can barely stand to lift it one more time... this will give you some sexy muscle tone in your arms and legs and really turn some heads when you walk by in a tank top! Have fun!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    this
    weight training! The more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn even at rest. Plus it will give you that nice toned look we all want! the trick is not to fall into the "lots of reps, low weight" thing that women have been buying into for years. You want a high weight, high enough that by the time you are on your 9th rep you can barely stand to lift it one more time... this will give you some sexy muscle tone in your arms and legs and really turn some heads when you walk by in a tank top! Have fun!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    check out bodybuilding.com - find a free program you think you can do - and give it your all - I am on week 6 and have seen tremendous changes :)

best of luck to ya!!!
  • JustTracyB
    Options

Is JM's workout really that bad? I've seen a few threads on here about how people got great results from it, and was considering starting it soon. (Referring to Shred it with Weights... not sure if she has another)

Yes. She uses very poor form and no instruction on proper form with kettlebells. You can injure your shoulder or back if you don't use good form. Her 30 day shred (original) is great, but her kettlebell workout sucks.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I had good results from Turbo Fire. Jillian's workouts should be good too. Also, Chalean Extreme may help, it's heavy weights, low reps with interval training too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am going away in 6 weeks and want to look as good as I possibly can :) I have wanted this for a long time but this trip kicked it into high gear...I am 31...weigh 120lbs and I'm 5'4...I have two kids so my body has been stretched and back but I hope to still be able to tone up. I always say I care more about how I look and feel than I do about what the scale says. I haven't really lost any weight since my start 3 weeks ago but feel like I should to reveal the muscles I'm TRYING to tone. anyway, any dvd's suggestions? I'm currently flip flopping between a few jillian michaels dvds i have...i am see my body tighten slightly but again not losing weight and I'm not sure this is going to be my quickest way to a tighter more toned body. I am up to hear any suggestions. P90x scares me to be honest, considered turbo fire but don't know much about it but if anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it. I really want to feel good and not self conscious not just on this trip but in life. We haven't gone away in 10 yrs...i want to enjoy it and not worry about how i look you know?

If you are 5'4" and 120 pounds, you shouldn't be trying to lose weight, your BMI is already on the low side. You should be concentrating on some heavy strength training to build some muscle. That will give you the results that you need.
  • peacelily0507
    Options

If you are 5'4" and 120 pounds, you shouldn't be trying to lose weight, your BMI is already on the low side. You should be concentrating on some heavy strength training to build some muscle. That will give you the results that you need.

I guess I just figure there is fat over the muscles i'm trying to build because I def feel squishy and have very low tone :/

do you have any dvd suggestions to achieve that....heavy strength training? I am not one to make up my own workouts really...prefer to follow
  • JennyBB125
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. I'm 5'8" about and 125 right now. I have a little more weight to loose around the hips but in general just want to tone my body and mainly my stomach. I've been researching this a lot. I was scared with strenght training I would get bulky but I was told by several people that women just dont have enough testosterone to get big and bulky. Ive been doing strength training at the gym with ab machines. Im slowly increasing my weight. I agree with whoever said you want to do less reps with high weights, it will build muscle faster. I also eat a high protein snack before and after the gym. I was told for muscle to grow you have to increase your calories so I increased them slightly while still continuing with cardio because I have to shed the fat thats hiding the muscle. Try ab machines, some cardio but not too much because you dont want to loose muscle mass. Also I do dumbells working every muscle group, glutes, legs, arms and chest. But remember increase the weights to increase the muscle size. Low amount of reps until you cant do any more. Good luck
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Get the book "New Rules of Lifting For Women."
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. I'm 5'8" about and 125 right now. I have a little more weight to loose around the hips but in general just want to tone my body and mainly my stomach. I've been researching this a lot. I was scared with strenght training I would get bulky but I was told by several people that women just dont have enough testosterone to get big and bulky. Ive been doing strength training at the gym with ab machines. Im slowly increasing my weight. I agree with whoever said you want to do less reps with high weights, it will build muscle faster. I also eat a high protein snack before and after the gym. I was told for muscle to grow you have to increase your calories so I increased them slightly while still continuing with cardio because I have to shed the fat thats hiding the muscle. Try ab machines, some cardio but not too much because you dont want to loose muscle mass. Also I do dumbells working every muscle group, glutes, legs, arms and chest. But remember increase the weights to increase the muscle size. Low amount of reps until you cant do any more. Good luck

do YOU know of any dvd's i could follow to achieve this? I don't have a gym membership :/ and I'm not very good at making up my own routines someone suggested kettlebells...I was going to jump on that...angie miller's kettle bell dvd had some good reviews...i dunno...could I not be eating enough calories then either? I'm lost...i felt i had to burn the fat over the muscles too so assumed I'd need to lose some weight..last spring i was 10 lbs lighter and felt much better but can't say i really had any muscle tone just less squishyness lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You are going to look pretty much the same as you look right now in 6 weeks (which is lovely, by the way), but if you really want a significant change in your health and fitness, just start today without a requirement for a certain timeline. Get into it and LIVE it. Change will come over time. Not a specific time. Think of it as you might think of growing out your hair. It takes time, but one day, you say, "hey my hair has really gotten long".

The biggest problem with trying to achieve XYZ in ABC weeks is that you can't. This is such an overriding theme for people: Help! I need to lose 1000 lbs. by Friday! Unrealistic goals = failure, disappointment and giving up.

Commit and go.

blessings.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Supreme 90 day...using body weight, handweights, stability ball, $19.95 for (I think) 10 dvd's works everything...Great!!