Heavy Weight Lifting

Options
I am going to be heading to my gym in a couple of hours hoping to start lifting some weights. I am going to go after I do my Ripped in 30 so my muscles will be warmed up. I was wondering if it would be ok to use machines for the weight lifting, the leg one and the arm thingy (those are the technical terms :laugh: ). Also, what would be a good weight and number of reps/sets to start at for a newbie? Do I just go as heavy as I can?

Replies

• fourbtgait
    fourbtgait Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want from weight lifting.
    Just toned?
    Some definition?
    Good definition?
    Each of those requires different weight and rep requirements.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    You would be much better off starting with a proven program like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Best bet is to focus on your compound lifts; Squat, Deadlift, Lat pulldown (or pullups/chinups if you can do them), rows, Shoulder press, bench press.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Depends on what you want from weight lifting.
    Just toned?
    Some definition?
    Good definition?
    Each of those requires different weight and rep requirements.

Strong outdated science, bro.

OP, please don't listen to this guy. If you want a "toned" look, you need to have a good muscle base, which means you need to lift heavy. You'll also need a low bodyfat, but you got that part with MFP. :wink:
  • gonnaloseitforever
    Options
    Ok, my only options are the leg one and the arm thingy. I don't have access to any other machines or free weights. Will these be ok (at least for now)?

I do read the forums here, so I know that the term is muscle conditioning. :wink: My overall goal is to look lean and have muscle definition, I am indeed reducing my body fat with a low calorie, healthy diet.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Your gym should have an orientation where they show you how to use all the equipment properly and help you figure out what weight you should be lifting.

As the other poster said, what you hope to get from it DOES make a difference on the program. For endurance, it's a lower weight, higher rep; For strength it's higher weight, lower rep; and if you want to get bigger, even higher weight with fewer reps.

You may also want to do ripped in 30 AFTER you lift. Do a nice warm up, 5 mins on a treadmill or eliptical or something, then lift. I say this because form is imperative when lifting weights to make sure you dont injure yourself and to get the most out of the workout - ripped in 30 is pretty tiring and since it incorporates lifting, you're going to fatigue your muscles before you get started. Another option would be to do ripped in 30 WITHOUT the hand weights if you're going to do it before. I would personally not lift and do ripped in 30 on the same day unless you lift with muscles that werent worked during the video, and would do some other form of cardio to warm up, but that's just me :)
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Do some research before you start throwing up random weights on the "arm thingy." You can really hurt yourself if you don't go in there with a plan. If you don't want to wait for a book (Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women), go to www.bodybuilding.com and they have a lot of resources for beginners.
  • gonnaloseitforever
    Options
    Your gym should have an orientation where they show you how to use all the equipment properly and help you figure out what weight you should be lifting.

As the other poster said, what you hope to get from it DOES make a difference on the program. For endurance, it's a lower weight, higher rep; For strength it's higher weight, lower rep; and if you want to get bigger, even higher weight with fewer reps.

You may also want to do ripped in 30 AFTER you lift. Do a nice warm up, 5 mins on a treadmill or eliptical or something, then lift. I say this because form is imperative when lifting weights to make sure you dont injure yourself and to get the most out of the workout - ripped in 30 is pretty tiring and since it incorporates lifting, you're going to fatigue your muscles before you get started. Another option would be to do ripped in 30 WITHOUT the hand weights if you're going to do it before. I would personally not lift and do ripped in 30 on the same day unless you lift with muscles that werent worked during the video, and would do some other form of cardio to warm up, but that's just me :)

Thanks! I will go before I do the Ripped then (if I am even able to do it after!). There are treadmills there so I can warm up for a bit first. I really appreciate this advice.
  • gonnaloseitforever
    Options
    Do some research before you start throwing up random weights on the "arm thingy." You can really hurt yourself if you don't go in there with a plan. If you don't want to wait for a book (Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women), go to www.bodybuilding.com and they have a lot of resources for beginners.

And that's why I'm here. :wink:

Thanks for the link, I will check it out now.