Grocery list?

Options

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    lean protein - i.e. chicken and fish

And I second the protein powder. I *only* and very sparingly use it for baked goods.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lean protein - i.e. chicken and fish

And I second the protein powder. I *only* and very sparingly use it for baked goods.

I agree - ONLY if you are getting plenty of protein you shouldn't need very much protein powder. I don't eat meat so I lack protein, and I'm trying to meet all my macros, to include all the amino acids and other nutrients needed for muscle building (I lift weights).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Here is my weekly grocery list:

Whole wheat bread
    Double fiber english muffins
    produce (bananas, cucumbers, spinach, grapes if on sale, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes)
    sandwich meat
    yogurt
    frozen veggies
    soy milk
    silk fruit n protein
    soup if its cold
    eggs
    cheese (shredded, sliced and string sticks)
    cracker chips
    100 cal cookie packs
    100 cal nut packs
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Check the nutritional data on the Kashi cereal, some varieties of Kashi have lots of sugar.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to add cat food to my list. Dolly can get angry if she is hungry.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh fruits and veggies.....for me, oranges, grapefruits (check the sales paper to see if anything is on sale), cucumbers, radishes, onions, green peppers...sometimes lettuce or spinach leaves.

Frozen fruit...I have been eating frozen blueberries for breakfast.

Frozen chicken breasts.
    SLiced turkey breast.

Flat breads

Hot mustard (A couple of slices of turkey, a squirt of mustard in a Flatbread is about 130 calories and great for lunch or a snack)

Brown rice

Peanut Butter

Can of blackeyed peas
  • Garvin51
    Garvin51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it was mentioned before, but some items may sound healthy or advertised as healthy but are not. If you have an Iphone or Android phone ... check out a free App called 'Fooducate' or visit the website ... Fooducate.com You can scan the food you plan to purchase and it give you a healthy or non-healthy grade from A to D- ... it even suggest an alternative. I wish you well on your journey. I thought I was eating healthy until I getting this App and visiting their website.
  • littletiger97
    littletiger97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't live without the Laughing Cow lite spreadable swiss cheese wedges!!! I use it on Arnolds Sandwich thins like a bagel, on celery, fat free triscuits, amazingly good!!

I completely agree! And if you are like me and don't really like swiss, no worries! This tastes more like cream cheese IMO! So good! I use it on sandwiches too in place of mayo and cheese!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I will have to try laughing cow! I've heard great things about their cheese.
    Thank you all for the tips, very much appreciated!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this is what we normally buy:

apples
    bananas
    tomatoes
    baby spinach
    beans (black and kidney)
    tofu
    cottage cheese
    hummus
    whole wheat pita
    peanut butter
    string cheese
    greek yogurt
    almonds
    protein powder
    cucumbers
    green peppers
    frozen veggies
    frozen berries
    carrots
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters - make small changes. It will really make things a lot easier for you and you won't be so tempted to just give up because you "failed" if you make one mistake! Start by just logging what you eat regularly even, this will open your eyes to what you are putting in your body then strive to add a lot of veggies and fruit to your diet then cut out the processed food. Whatever steps you want to take and whatever works for you :-)

A lot of people on here really like oatmeal. I've always hated it, but I finally found a way I like it, but that also means I don't eat it EVERYDAY (1-minute quaker oats, 1/4C pumpkin, 1-2 TBLS raisins, chopped prunes or nuts and seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and a drizzle of maple syrup)! I eat a breakfast burrito some days (medium tortilla, egg beaters, 1TBLS guacamole, spinach, peppers and onions) it's one of my favorites. A multi-grain english muffin with 1 TBLS natural peanut butter and a serving of fruit. Hummus in a pita pocket with a ton of veggies.... The key is to find things you will like and will be filling! It's hard to stick to eating well if you end up raiding the vending machine because you're starving by 9:30a and unprepared without a healthy snack. lol Good luck!
  • skinny_buddha
    Options
    Some great tips and lists on here.
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I recently signed on to MFP and am still sort of new to this whole "eating better" thing. I completely agree that you need to make small changes at a time. If you overwhelm yourself by changing so much at once, it can be easy to feel like you're giving up too much and just give up. Definitely make sure you are drinking plenty of water. If you don't normally drink water, you may want to think about getting some lemon, or fresh mint, or even Mio drops to add to your water to make it more appealing until you start getting more used to it. You may want to consider trying almond milk instead of soy milk as a healthy alternative to cow milk. I personally like the sweetened vanilla almond milk for putting on oatmeal or cereal, or even for a tasty drink. Unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or original) is probably better for cooking/baking so as to not affect the flavor of your food. If you find that you use a lot of sugar in coffee or tea, you may want to consider getting Stevia as a natural no-calorie alternative to sugar and without having nasty things like aspartame in it. I won't lie to you and tell you it tastes just like sugar, I am still getting used to the change myself, but... it may be a worthwhile adjustment. I guess I would say try to get more fresh fruits and vegetables if it is in season, and frozen if it's not. If you like dill pickles, those make a great snack as they have no calories and have great crunch. You can still eat the things you enjoyed before, just be more aware of serving size. Also greek yogurt (I like the 4 oz Yoplait packs) are a great protein boost and make for a good snack or even a good breakfast if you're in a hurry. Try to remember, you didn't establish your current eating habits overnight, it took a lifetime. So, it stands to reason that making healthier changes won't be an overnight thing either. Ease your way into it.
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh, I almost forgot... Here is a great website with some good ideas for low-calorie snacks. Maybe check it out and if there is anything that looks good, it'll give you ideas of what you would have to have to make it.

http://www.greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories/
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Most important thing to remember in terms of losing weight it is not always what you eat as it is how much you eat. You can eat 3000 of healthy food and gain weight or 1500 cal of junk food and lose weight. That being said the satiation and over health of eating "healthy" food will give your diet a better chance of succeeding and being a long term change. Just remember portion size is key, measure stuff out dont just guestimate, especially at first starting out, Also digital food scale is worth its weight in gold for getting proper counts on food. Here are some items that i enjoy eating a lot on my cut.

110 cal thin bagels
    35 cal wheat bread
    ham and turkey
    tuna with a little miracle whip and sweet relish (not mayo)
    1% cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Eggs
    Fruit

rice- very satiating but calories can add up
    Hot sauce
    Yellow mustard
    fish
    shrimp
    immitation crab
    steak
    chicken
    broccoli
    asparagus
    mushrooms
    carrots
  • sophieg77
    Options
    Instead of starting at the grocery list, start at the meals. Divide your daily calories up into meals, pick some great recipes or ones you know and love and put them in a meal plan. (While meal plans might seem repetitive, it doesn't really feel like it. If you have vegie stir fry every Monday night, there is actually about 20 meals till you have it again.) Once you have your meals, work out the ingredients and you have your shopping list. If you simply go to store with good intentions, it will be hard to decide how to put that good food into a meal and it will most likely rot in your fridge.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Many of the things on your list are very high in calories...be sure to use your scales or measuring cups. I live on steel cut oats for breakfast. Fresh veggies allow me the huge portions I like to fill my plate. Fat Free Cottage Cheese.

I make a ton of brothy veggetable soups.

My greatest food is any type of legume. I eat at least one can of water packed tuna each day.

Best to you on your journey.
  • andreaeose777
    andreaeose777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason your using both soy milk and almond milk? If your doing soy milk because you think its healthy its actually not great for you at all. If your not doing dairy for a reason coconut milk is better for you. I personally am not dairy free but I don't drink a lot of milk either. if you want extra protein look at fage greek yogurt it has 23 grams of protein in it, about the same as protein powder and its a lot cheaper. I use this to make green smoothies for my mid afternoon snack. Its much more filling then nuts and a lot lower calories. Other then that just eat clean non processed foods and measure everything you eat and you'll be successful.
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nonfat Greek yogurt (higher in protein)
    Almond milk
    Eggs
    Oat meal (not instant)
    Steel cut oats
    Almonds
    Lean meat (chicken & fish)
    Lots of fruits and veggies
    Raw honey
    Beans
    Brown rice
    Lots of spices to add flavor

This is for the most part my entire diet I don't eat processed foods and have never felt better. I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast and sometimes for lunch or dinner. My favorite thing to add to oatmeal is apples which I cook with the oats and almond milk along with cinnamon and I also add a little bit of Greek yogurt after I heat it. I make a huge batch at the beginning of the week and reheat for a quick meal. I also love steel cut oats cooked in organic apple juice, diced apples, cinnamon and pure vanilla extract.
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    i stuff pita pockets with chicken and feta cheese. we use Italian seasoning on just about everything. Tea is a great thing too (i think) and be sure to try and find la factory tortillas! they are HUGE only 100 calories and have 13g of fiber! great for burritos stuffed full of veggies, meat and cheese. guacamole is nice on occasion too