SALT - are you scared of it?

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Yes sea salt is sodium chloride, but "salt" from the store usually isn't .

Stop making things up.

Go read a book and stop reading magazines.

Read a label.

Name a single brand of salt that doesn''t contain NaCl
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    The author lost me with the crap about table salt being "toxic." It's not. It may or may not be better than salt which has other minerals in it, but it's not toxic unless you go crazy with it.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    The author lost me with the crap about table salt being "toxic." It's not. It may or may not be better than salt which has other minerals in it, but it's not toxic unless you go crazy with it.

LOLoquin lost his mind years ago.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    not afraid of salt your body needs it
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Fighting with a chemist about chemicals and minerals is like going 10 rounds with Mohammed Ali...you might get in a couple jabs, but in the end you will be KO.

As to the article...good read. People don't realize that we DO need salt, just not 4000mg a day (like many people get). Athletes need more because of sweating it out and protein synthesis. I usually run about 800-1200 a day, which is completely aporopriate. Some days I am higher but rarely lower. When I cook, I will use sea salt, but I don't add a bunch because I'm not keen on things being too salty. I'm not intimidated by salt intake because since I don't eat a ton of processed foods, I don't get an overabundance.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Fighting with a chemist about chemicals and minerals is like going 10 rounds with Mohammed Ali...you might get in a couple jabs, but in the end you will be KO.

Er... not that I'm fighting with him particularly... but uh... chemists are chemists. Unless they are biochemists, they probably don't have more than a couple of biology classes at best.

Which sounds like I'm slamming Pu. I'm not. I usually like what he has to say and I often (but not always) agree with him. At any rate, I respect his knowledge and his journey toward a degree.

Your statement just rubbed me wrong ;) and, well, I know a fair bit of chemistry myself, seeing as I'm a pharmacologist.

I admit, I was surprised to find something other than sodium chloride and potassium iodide in my table salt... but the other things? Sodium silicoaluminate... either it co-precipitated with the sodium chloride (likely), or it was deliberately added as a source of trace minerals. The potassium Iodide? You need iodine for proper thyroid function- it's used to make thyroid hormone. The dextrose? Probably in there to keep the salt from becoming one giant crystal when it gets wet. Sodium Bicarbonate? Again, probably co-precipitated with the sodium chloride, but not at all toxic. We have plenty of sodium bicarb in our blood... in fact, it's our major buffering system.

Point is... there is not a single ingredient in my table salt that is harmful to humans. Aluminum and Silica can be if consumed in large quantities... but we need trace amounts of the minerals.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Yes sea salt is sodium chloride, but "salt" from the store usually isn't .

Stop making things up.

Go read a book and stop reading magazines.

Read a label.

Name a single brand of salt that doesn''t contain NaCl

Most brands go through a chemical process. As we discussed, iodine, or bleaching. It's sold as "salt" Salt has a broad definition. but in terms of "table salt" it's "NaCl" "Sodium chloride" if you add other stuff such as iodine, or bleaching, it's no longer called a "Sodium chloride" it's called a "Mixture(solution)"

Words have meanings:

You said:

es sea salt is sodium chloride, but "salt" from the store usually isn't

Table salt IS sodium chloride. Your statement implied that it was something else entirely. Furthermore, you said:
    sea salt has other trace minerals that "table salt" doesn't have.

So by your constantly-shifting definitions, sea salt isn't "sodium chloride" either, since it contains other minerals.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    When I was a pirate, I fell into the ocean.
    It tasted like salt.
    I almost drowned.
    Oh yes, I fear the salt, matey.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Er... not that I'm fighting with him particularly... but uh... chemists are chemists. Unless they are biochemists, they probably don't have more than a couple of biology classes at best.

Which sounds like I'm slamming Pu. I'm not. I usually like what he has to say and I often (but not always) agree with him. At any rate, I respect his knowledge and his journey toward a degree.

Your statement just rubbed me wrong ;) and, well, I know a fair bit of chemistry myself, seeing as I'm a pharmacologist.

I admit, I was surprised to find something other than sodium chloride and potassium iodide in my table salt... but the other things? Sodium silicoaluminate... either it co-precipitated with the sodium chloride (likely), or it was deliberately added as a source of trace minerals. The potassium Iodide? You need iodine for proper thyroid function- it's used to make thyroid hormone. The dextrose? Probably in there to keep the salt from becoming one giant crystal when it gets wet. Sodium Bicarbonate? Again, probably co-precipitated with the sodium chloride, but not at all toxic. We have plenty of sodium bicarb in our blood... in fact, it's our major buffering system.

Point is... there is not a single ingredient in my table salt that is harmful to humans. Aluminum and Silica can be if consumed in large quantities... but we need trace amounts of the minerals.

Sorry you felt lumped in with that...was referring to RonSwanson telling PU to stop making things up and other rude comments
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Thanks for the chemistry lesson :smile: That probably sounds sarcastic but it's not. Love learning new stuff.

bcampbell54: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Sorry you felt lumped in with that...was referring to RonSwanson telling PU to stop making things up and other rude comments

For a board who is so afraid of teh insulinz and teh bad carbz, people around here sure like things sugarcoated.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Ah. Okay. :)
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    The thing is that once you start saying "table salt isn't sodium chloride; it's a mixture" because they added minute amounts of iodine, you can do that with pretty much anything. This butter isn't really butter because it's salted butter. This apple juice isn't apple juice because it's got added vitamin C as a preservative. Nothing we eat is a 100% pure chemical compound with no impurities or additions but to be honest, table salt is probably closer to being a pure compound than anything else we eat. It's also closer to being pure sodium chloride than sea salt is.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    High-Protein Intake Requires More Salt, Athletes Too

Adequate iodine is needed for the normal metabolism of cells, making it an essential component of diet if you are trying to lose weight or are an athlete

these 2 things are great!!! I did not know that higher protein required higher sodium intake!!
  • LabRat529
    Options
    i have found nothing degrading or offensive in what you said. You just said what was in your salt. So no worries in that sense. Yeah Sodium Bicarbonate can be a byproduct. With iodine, that can be a big possibility. Yes Sodium Bicarbonate is used to maintain the pH balance of our blood. I don't get the dextrose though. If you're saying dextrose is a binding agent. Possible. When salt is put in water(wet) it would break up in to its ions. Na+, Cl- as you probably know, but this goes to solubility.

My hypothesis (and I have no way to test this) is that the dextrose is there to bind H2O and not the salt. Since there is H2O in the air, the salt is going to absorb it (or actually, the water absorbs the salt... but since the water is in smaller quantities... erm... I'm over-complicating things). Anyway... I suspect that the salt would reform into larger crystals when the water evaporates away instead of the small ones we like to shake over our food. So the dextrose could, possibly, keep the water away from the salt and keep the salt in small crystals by binding the water and not letting it bind the NaCl.

Alternatively... the dextrose could just space the NaCl crystals out so that they can't interact as easily with other NaCl crystals.

People put rice in their salt shakers for similar reasons... so maybe dextrose is being used simply as an anti-caking measure.

Regardless... dextrose isn't toxic at all. If I remember right, it's even used in some I.V. drips.

Iodine can be toxic in large quantities, but you can buy salt without iodine.

Sea salt is probably a great source of salt... and I have no grips with people that use it. I use it sometimes 'cause it seems exotic to me. I don't know why... it just does. Same goes with those little colored peppercorn balls (you know, instead of the black ones).
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Thanks for the chemistry lesson :smile: That probably sounds sarcastic but it's not. Love learning new stuff.

Yah... er... I'm kinda sorta a nerd. :blushing: In case you couldn't guess. I like learning and I like sharing what I learn even when I should probably sometimes... not share so much.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Adequate iodine is needed for the normal metabolism of cells, making it an essential component of diet if you are trying to lose weight or are an athlete

Yet the author recommends against table salt (which contains iodine due to the addition of KI) and recommends sea salt, which has little to no iodine:

"It is a myth (often also false advertising) that “natural” sea salt contains significant amounts of iodine. The iodide content of seawater is only 64 µg/kg or 2.1 mg I/kg NaCl. In evaporatively prepared salt, the iodide/chloride ratio is even lower because of iodine loss; crystallization processes leave iodide selectively in the mother liquor. "

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es0719071
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love salt:) brings out flavor in everything...
  • LabRat529
    Options
    The thing is that once you start saying "table salt isn't sodium chloride; it's a mixture" because they added minute amounts of iodine, you can do that with pretty much anything. This butter isn't really butter because it's salted butter. This apple juice isn't apple juice because it's got added vitamin C as a preservative. Nothing we eat is a 100% pure chemical compound with no impurities or additions but to be honest, table salt is probably closer to being a pure compound than anything else we eat. It's also closer to being pure sodium chloride than sea salt is.

I agree.

The problem with the word "salt" is that it has two different meanings. The common meaning is NaCl, and NaCl is the major ingredient in table salt and in sea salt.

But... in chemistry, "salt" means an ionic compound. I even refer to some of my drugs as "salts". NaCl is a salt. Sodium bicarbonate is a salt. Potassium iodide is a salt. Sodium silicoaluminate is a salt. Dextrose is not a salt :D

Language is such a funny thing :( and it can be hard to communicate when word definitions shift depending on context.
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    I am so scared of salt, that I haven't left my house ever since the NYC Sanitation Department put it on the roads and my neighbors salted their sidewalks due to Saturday's snow storm. I really hope it rains soon, so I can go outside again.