SlimFast...?

Options
I recently bought SlimFast shake powder & snack bars, fat free yogurt, almonds, oranges, 3lbs dumbbells, a workout dvd, and a scale. So today I worked out to the video as soon as I woke up & went to work. Snacked on Slimfast and the fruits, & nuts all day & drank plenty of water.

The bad thing though, is that I was miserable alllllllll day! Because I was soo hungry! According to SlimFast's 3-2-1 plan you eat one sensible 500 calorie meal a day, then snack on everything else throughout the day. But the snack bars, shakes, fruit, and yogurt aren't enough for me. I even tried eating mints and chugging water to fill me up or to keep me occupied but I was still hungry.

Is this how it's supposed to be in the beginning, and you just get used to it? I really want to stick to SlimFast, at least until I run out of everything cuz they were kind of expensive lol. Then hopefully I'll find something better. But maybe I'm doing it wrong, or I'm just supposed to get used to it. I don't know...

I was thinking about getting a whey protein shake powder/mix? Thoughts on that? I definitely need something as a meal replacement for breakfast because I'm NOT a morning person haha.

Replies

• Kaylyn07
    Kaylyn07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    if you have 70lbs to lose then I don't think slimfast is going to do you any favours whatsoever. I would be REALLY hungry on that so you have my sympathies!!

Why don't you try spending a week eating below 5% fat and keeping in your calories allowance on MFP and see whether that would be just as good. In my opinion a trip to stock up on fruits and veg is going to make things a whole lot easier for you x
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    oh goodness please be careful with those slim fast shakes, i used to use them when i very first started wanting to slim down and then i used mfp in conjunction and suddenly realized how much sugar is in one of those shakes - its crazy!

slim fast isnt a healthy way to loose weight because it doesn't teach you how to eat properly, their concept works, when i say that i mean the 3 main meals and 2 snacks totaling a lower calorie intake (1200) BUT 1200 calories might be to low for you (hence feeling crappy which could also be because of the sugar content) and also wouldnt it just be better to eat 1200 calories in food?

i mean now, having lost all this weight the "healthy" way i look at slim fast and think that you wouldnt eat 3 high sugar food meals and think it was ok so why drink 3 high sugar shakes instead of those meals?

nope. not for me.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    RUN RUN RUN away from slimfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Serioulsy, NOT enough food and why drink your calories in a nasty can of garbage? It's okay to eat real foods to fuel your body. I could never feel sustained and would be cranky all day if I followed that. If it's something you don't do for life, it will only be temporary weight loss anyway.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I know you said you want to stick with the slimfast because it's expensive, but it will COST you more in aggravation if you continue down that path. Donate or return them to the store you got them from.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    My advice would be to ditch the slimfast. As you say, it's expensive and it's not a sustainable long term solution. When you stop eating the shakes and yogurts then what will you do? It won't have allowed you to develop a long term positive approach to food, in fact if you're forcing yourself to eat things you don't like it will probably develop more of a negative approach.

The best thing you can do for your weightloss is to eat normal foods but learn to understand portion control and cut back on foods high in calories, fat and sugar. And don't deprive yourself or force yourself to eat things that you don't like.

MFP is a really good tool. Perhaps plan a days worth of food ahead made up of food you want to eat but you think is healthy. Log it in MFP and see how it fares against the goals it gives you. By doing this you'll learn to eat healthily which will give you much more long term success than any fad diet or weightloss product. Good luck!
  • Saftlad
    Saftlad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also, try to avoid exercising first thing. You're body has just been fasting and your blood sugar levels are low.

It can work for some, but it's not for everyone. Try exercising at different times of the day to see what suits your body, not your lifestyle.

And lay off the Slimfast - you can get a much better diet eating naturally but with small alterations to your intake
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you look at the nutrition breakdown of the Slimfast products in your diary, they are almost ALL carbs with a little bit of fiber and protein tossed in. I would be STARVING if this was the staple of my diet. I suggest making an effort to really cut out sugars. No slimfast or sugar soft drinks. Eat REAL food. You are not supposed to be hungry all the time, that is setting yourself up for failure.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I would never do the Slimfast diet. It doesn't give you what you need nor does it help you change the habits that lead you to where you are. Real food is always the best.

However, I keep a bottle in my purse so that if I'm stuck late at work, got caught up after, or was out longer than planned and am hungry I will drink that just to tide myself over until I get home and get some real food instead of resorting to unhealthy fast food.
  • MsPnyLn
    Options
    I tasted a Slimfast shake once..It was tolerable at best, but have never tried them as a regular supplement.
    If you are looking for something similar as in a drinkable meal supplement/ replacement without all the fake/ added sugar and words you can't pronounce but woth the protein boost and some real nutrients I would try the Odwalla protein shakes (the mango and Strawberry really aren't bad and are mostly juice!) or Naked Juice Protein Zone (the Mango is also the best tasting and has 30 grams of protein!) The sugars are high 28g but its naturally occuring from the fruit. I don't feel bad having some high fiber cereal or whole grain toast with it. Also, I have one of the Nakeds or Odwallas with a salad at lunch and actually feel full before I finish the salad which NEVER happens at lunchtime!
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Why do people bump there own post? lol............................I do Body By V...............Yummy!
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ditch the shake. Get you calorie count and find filling foods that will work in your calories.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would never do anything such as a shake etc that I couldnt do forever.. its not about diet shakes or gimics, just eat normal healthy foods within your calories.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think those shakes may be ok occasionally for a fast at work or on the go lunch or snack, but as a way to live, day in day out? No way. Your body needs real food. If you're hungry, fill up on some veggies--you can have piles of them for almost no calories, and get all the benefits of the vitamins and micronutrients they contain. Have a small cube of cheese...a litle fat will make you feel satisfied longer. There really are no bad or good foods...just choices you have to be able to make for yourself and your health.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Anytime you start a diet it is always harder at the beginning because your body isn't used to it. That being said, if you have decided you want to use diet shakes as a way to help lose weight, try soy protein shakes. I am not a breakfast eater so I use shakes to get nutrition in before I go to work. I was using Slim fast and was always hungry very quickly. I read about soy protein shakes being helpful for hot flashes (I am old!!) so I decided to try it. Not only did my hot flashes go away, I found I was full much longer. If you want to try snacking throughout the day try fruit with protein for example an apple and a piece of cheese. That helps keep the hunger pangs away too.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would not purchase anymore slimfast - it isn't going to keep you full and it isn't really all that healthy.If you are stuck with them until you run out try mixing in a blender with a plain greek yogurt and some fruit - maybe that will stick with you longer. That doesn't take that long to make. If you aren't a breakfast eater you may need to become one. You could try a protein shake with fruit, etc. and maybe some whole grain bread with some peanut butter. This will help you stay satisfied til the next meal. Then I recommend eating all the calories recommended by MFP even the exercise ones! Good job with the water, keep doing that.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Ditch the shake. Get you calorie count and find filling foods that will work in your calories.

This.

It'll save you money too. You don't have to eat crazy diet food to lose weight. It's all about the calories in vs. calories out.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Why do people bump there own post? lol............................I do Body By V...............Yummy!

I would say to get more suggestions. When your post gets lost under the pile no one sees it :) PS I have a friend who does those shakes and loves them
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    That junk is processed garbage! Just count calories - eat at a moderate deficit ... eat things you like! You will see results.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Shakes are good every once in a while if you're in a hurry but the meal plans have a lot of sugar, and liquid calories aren't going to fill you up as much as nutritious food calories are.... especially if it's not high-protein high-fiber. I'd say make your own smoothies with protein powder if possible, less sugar and more of the good stuff, gives you more of a chance to not feel hungry. It's not good for your blood sugar to be spiking like that anyway :(