How long did it take you to lose 10 pounds?

Options

Replies

• nikki1anna
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey I lost the first 10 in a month, now that I am at the middle of my journey and really focusing on building muscle, i lose a 1lb a week, so it's going to take me 10 weeks to lose ten pounds at this rate. But I would rather lose weight slow and look healthy, then fast and look sick!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    hmm 30 in 1 week so...divide that by 7 carry the 3...... 2½ days? but I'm guy and I was nearly 500 lbs.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I lost 10.4lbs in 3 weeks! But everyone is different! Good luck!

14285388.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how long does it usually take for you to lose 10 pounds? Weeks? Months? What's normal/healthy?

depends on how much you have to lose, if you only have 10lbs to lose it should take about 20 weeks as the appropriate weekly weight loss goal would be 0.5lbs/week. this would also help ensure that more of your loss is from fat, if your deficit is too large then a lot of the weight loss will come from lean muscle.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It took me a month and a half to drop 10 lbs, now i am waiting to see how long it will take me to lose another 10. For woman it is harder to lose it than Men.
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I first started at 154 it only took about a month to lost the first 10 but now that I'm 121 and working on the last 10 it's taking months! I think it all depends on how close you are to what your body considers a normal weight. It was like the moment I crossed over from 133 to 132 which is the cut off for overweight vs normal it started getting significantly harder to lose.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 weeks when I started, and now it's taken about a month for the latest 10 to come off.

Everybody is different, and the closer you are to your goal, the slower the weight will come off. Those who are morbidly obese will drop weight very quickly at first.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As others have said, depends on how you're starting out and how aggressive you are with it. I started at about 130-135 and lost it probably 2 months or less, exercising about 5 times a week (walking/jogging, going to the gym to do weights/elliptical). It's harder for small people to lose weight because you're smaller and so you're not burning as many calories.

Just keep at it, and don't forget to look at your measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but you can see differences in your body. Muscle weighs more than fat, remember that :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had 30 pounds to lose total and it took me about 6 weeks to lose 10. My losses were more rapid in the beginning of my weight loss than at the end.
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I (slowly) started to count calories / do more exercise at the beginning of October, and have since lost 10 lbs.
    So about 3 1/2 months for me, which is quite slow in comparison to some of the numbers here, but I only have a total of 20 lbs to lose to reach my target weight, so I'm very happy with these results.
  • Cassi1990
    Cassi1990 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've lost 5.4 pounds since 1-21-12.

But I was drinking a lot of pop before. over eating out of boredom etc etc. I also started out at over 270 pounds so that probably has something to do with it as well.
  • chelljo12
    chelljo12 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks...
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you---frustruated---, I've been at this for 3 months and lost 6 pounds, with exercising 30 min a day and being under my daily goal almost every day, by at the most 300 calories. My husband thinks I'm crazy on this journey, I'm obsessed! I'm 6 fooot and currently weigh 170. It's not easy when everyone says "you're so skinny". I take a medication that causes weight gain, so I'm trying to be proactive. It's not like I want to loose 60 pounds, just go down 10 and it will make my self esteem better.
  • lovex5
    lovex5 Posts: 11
    Options
    I finally hit 10lbs today, the start of week 3. But in all honesty I lost 9lbs the first week and a half. So instead of something impressive like 3lbs per week I dropped 9 and then it took me 1.5 week to lose 1lb. Of course, to echo the crowd, everyone is different.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else: the closer you are to goal the longer it takes! When I started exercising and eating right again in 2008 I lost 14lbs in 12 weeks. Then 7lbs over the next 12....7lbs again by the 9 month mark....and then I was maintaining/slowly losing for the next few years. Now that I'm smack-dab in the middle of the "healthy weight" BMI range, and very active, it's getting really hard to lose. So, my last 10lbs? Probably a whole until they're gone =)
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    About two and a half weeks for me but the most important part of your question 'what's normal?'

What is normal for you is however long you take to lose 10 pound. Some people on a high salt diet will lose a lot quickly simply by cutting out salt while others already on a reasonablly balanced diet may take longer. Use other people's numbers as an encouragement but avoid comparing with your own. What is normal for them may not be normal for you.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    When I first started working with MFP last March. It took me about 3 weeks to drop my first 10 lbs.

However, now that I am much closer to my goal I find that the weight comes off my slower. It just took me 3 weeks to get rid of the 2 lbs I gained over the holidays.

I think that it has something to do with the percentage of your body weight the 10 lbs represents. And, of course your calorie deficit.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have been at this 7 weeks so far and lost 6lbs. Everyone is different and it depends on the amount of exercise you do and the amount of weight you have to lose. I do about 30 minutes a day of exercise so if you are better than that (which isn't hard to be lol) you could probably do it in 5 or 6 weeks.

If you exercise enough, particularly if you're building muscle, you may actually lose weight more slowly (but gaining muscle is a good thing). How close you are to your goal, or to a "normal weight" is probably the biggest determinant. Some people lose a lot of weight very quickly when they're morbidly obese, then less as they get closer to a healthy weight. If you're close to your goal, losing .5 to 1 pound a week is probably the best you're going to average (unless you want to make yourself sick, lose muscle, and be likely to gain it all back). So, I guess the bad news is, it will take a while, the good news is, you're close!
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    mine was two months. good luck!
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you do not need to loose any weight