Weigh-in advice

Options
I am a bit confused as to when you should weigh in. I used to weigh in first thing in the morning, but as it turns out, I retain water all through the night and it looks as though I'm not losing anything or as much as I should given the losses in my measurements. So I started doing it later in the morning after I'd done my exercises (right before lunch time) and I've found that the weigh-ins are less than they are in the morning. I know that this is due to water retention/burning off, but which number is more accurate? When do you personally think it's best to weigh in? I did it once in the evening and ended up crying most of the rest of the night, lol (that's a big no-no). But yeah. Any answers would be incredibly helpful.:happy:

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    The thing about weighing in first thing in the morning is you haven't drank anything or eaten anything to add pounds to the scale. So if you do it later, you've had something to eat and drink and so the number can be more variable.

Bottom line, though... whatever works for you... just weigh the same time every week or two and stay off the scale the rest of the time.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Same time everytime is the most accurate
  • jessicaelimb
    Options
    I usually do it the same time every morning AFTER I go to the bathroom, I feel like this number is usually the best for me. But if you feel better when you weigh in after you exercise I would do it then, even though I have heard people say not to weigh in after a work out, not sure why they say that I have just heard it a few places! Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is no requirement that you weigh in

I just weighed in on this topic though

I was compelled
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I do my weigh-in after my morning potty. It seems that anything I have retained will be gone and I have a more accurate weight. Also I weigh completely nude so I don't have that extra clothing weight. Don't want anything extra to be there. :laugh: :tongue:
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter as long as you do it the same time of day and wearing the same thing or nothing ever week you will see your progress. Whether it is your "actual" weight is irrelevant
  • jngibson
    jngibson Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm doing mine every Monday at the gym before i start my work out...if that's any help..

Off subject...but did you go to JSU?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    there is no requirement that you weigh in

I just weighed in on this topic though

I was compelled

It is a weighty issue or an issue that holds a lot of weight :happy:
  • KatWood
    Options
    I think as long as you are consistent and understand that your weight will fluctuate during the day any time of day is ok.

Personally I weigh in at most once a week on Thursdays, at night before bed, after going to the washroom and completely nude .... too much info? Oh well, you asked for it :happy:
    I find that by weighing in at night after all my meals are done, I am at my heaviest weight so it is like a worst case scenario. But in general I don't let the scale determine how I measure sucess. There are so many better indicators ...

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    Options
    I'm doing mine every Monday at the gym before i start my work out...if that's any help..

JSU?
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options

I still do. I student teach in the fall and I graduate in December (thank goodness!).

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sometimes there are so many opinions floating out there that it is hard to seperate fact from not, and even then it all depends on what works for your body.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the early mornings before I get into the shower. For those of you that weigh only weekly, aren't you afraid of gaining weight before noticing? I swear I can gain three permanent pounds in a weekend, which then take a while to remove. Think of how easy it is to gain over Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • jngibson
    jngibson Posts: 11
    Options

I still do. I student teach in the fall and I graduate in December (thank goodness!).

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sometimes there are so many opinions floating out there that it is hard to seperate fact from not, and even then it all depends on what works for your body.

I thought i recognized your main picture...I was Southerners colorguard in 05 & 06 :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused as to when you should weigh in. I used to weigh in first thing in the morning, but as it turns out, I retain water all through the night and it looks as though I'm not losing anything or as much as I should given the losses in my measurements. So I started doing it later in the morning after I'd done my exercises (right before lunch time) and I've found that the weigh-ins are less than they are in the morning. I know that this is due to water retention/burning off, but which number is more accurate? When do you personally think it's best to weigh in? I did it once in the evening and ended up crying most of the rest of the night, lol (that's a big no-no). But yeah. Any answers would be incredibly helpful.:happy:

Try reading this article: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55489

I've always weighed myself in the morning, all the water weight from the day before is supposed to be gone by morning (this according to my doctor). I was gaining about 10 lbs of water weight a day.