Breakfast Calories?

Options
I really love having cereal in the morning, like Life.. But what is considered a 'good' calorie intake for breakfast?

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    whatever works for you..i try to get good carbs and good amount of protein in the morning. i typically have between 250-300 calories with at least 15g of protein
  • TraceyDonna
    Options
    I agree with Maryjay. Having looked extensively (!) into which cereal I can have the most of, with the least cals the "brown" ones come out on top. I usually go for Weetabix or similar with skimmed milk. I too LOVE my morning cereal. Im an odd creature that wakes up hungry!! x
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    I am a creature of habit - I eat either of two breakfasts each morning. If I am planning to exercise early, I eat two servings of Raisan Bran Crunch with a cup of skim milk (466 calories). I find that the oat clusters in the cereal help me feel full and the cereal gives me just enough carbs to power a 2 hour bike ride. If I am not planning to exercise in the morning, I eat 2 servings of oatmeal, usually Quaker Apple Cinnamon (260 calories).

But, you've got to find what works for YOU and gives you the energy you need to start your day.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 250 and 400 calories for breakfast...it's the most important meal of the day so might as well give your body the fuel it needs :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Can be as little as 0 (no breakfast) to eating 100% of your calories (eat once a day) or anything in between, whatever works for you.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. It depends on how hungry you are in the morning and your daily calorie goal. I usually eat 300 - 400 cals (plus a 50ish pre-workout snack) for breakfast, and if I eat any less I'm starving. But I know some people are happy with a light yogurt. Whatever works for you is A-OK!
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always either have fresh fruit or yogurt. I like to start my day off light, then have something with a little protien a few hours later IF I'm still hungry. BUT i do love breakfast cookies. I have Erin Barker's mini breakfast cookies if I want something alitle more solid. The large ones can be up to 400 calories, and the minis are 100 each. Oatmeal Raisin or Chocolate chip are great.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Depends on your daily calorie goal. I'm at 1250/day, so I break it down like 200 breakfast, 300 lunch, 400 dinner, & 300 snacks throughout the day.

I try not to exceed 250 for breakfast, most days I come in at about 200. When I have oatmeal + wheat germ it only comes in at 200 and is very filling. If I go over on breakfast it comes out of my calorie allowance for snacks.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like to have big, protein-filled breakfasts... like 500 cals, 30g protein. It gives me tons of energy, and I prefer to have a smaller dinner.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i get about 20% of my calories at breakfast. i like oatmeal, mixed with peanut butter and a banana, plus coffee.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually my largest meal, calories wise. i like to eat most of my calories before dinner, leaving just 300-400 for dinner.

I always try to make my breakfasts as balanced a possible. Whole grains, lean protein, fresh fruit/veggie and low fat dairy. It gives me not only the fuel I need, but also the confidence and commitment to live a healthful day! Calories wise it is usually 350-450 calories and I'm on a 1500c/day intake.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    lately I've been doing 3/4 greek yogurt + 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder + 1/4 cup raspberries.

~180 calories, 30 grams of protein and keeps me full for a good 2-3 hrs.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I usually split my breakfast into two "mini" breakfasts to tide me over until lunch, and it's usually 200-400 calories. today I did an egg mcmuffin though, so i'll be more than that.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I vary on meal calories. I like keeping things changed up a bit to keep my metabolism in good shape.
    I also divide my breakfast into two mini meals. After my morning run, I need the food for energy and muscle health but I always seem to need "something" around 9 or 10 a.m. so I started dividing my breakfast and eat part of it after my run and eat rest of it when the feeling hits me. Usually the total calories is between 250 and 400, depending on what I'm having. (feel free to look at my diary)

Hope this is helpful!
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I eat Kashi go lean sticks and twigs because it has 10 protein
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually have cereal ( Special K, or Cheerios) and yogurt, or fruit. Than do my workout about an hour after, and have a fiber One bar after that... Its a good start for ME for my day! But like everyone has said.. everyones different. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • bkt529
    bkt529 Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat whole wheat mini bagel, 2 tbs. natural peanut butter, 1/2 banana and 8 oz. skim milk. Works for me. I also was a cereal for breakfast every morning before beginning MFP.
  • taylormeskinny
    Options
    I agree with everyone who suggests lots of protien. Calorie wise, I try to stay under 300.
  • daeljo
    daeljo Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks all! :smile:
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a breakfast eater, I typcally have somewhere around 200 calories. My latest fave is egg white on toast.