How long did it take you to lose 10 pounds?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If I extrapolate... 13 months. I started in October at 118 lbs, and now I'm down to 115. It's a really slow and difficult process when you're small to begin with and only need to lose a few pounds. Just keep at it!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how long does it usually take for you to lose 10 pounds? Weeks? Months? What's normal/healthy?

It all depends on how overweight you are and whether that 10lbs is at the start, middle or end of a diet.

The 10lbs I have lost have been in the last three weeks, that was when I began this diet. If I had 10lbs to lose to reach my goal, it could take anything from five to ten weeks.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    I started at 150lbs - I lost my first 10 lbs in 11 weeks. :)
  • mikituba
    Options
    I started at 225, I lost 9.8 in my first week and I dropped the next 10 in about 3 weeks...I've steadily been dropping about 10 every 3 weeks :)
  • When I was loosing weight for my wedding some months I would loose ten pounds, some months two, some months more and less. I dieted and weight trained and did cardio consistently and it was always different. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US IS DIFFERENT. Just remember that and remember that when you try things and they don't work it doesn't mean YOU don't work.

my best tips are:

-eat enough of the right stuff ( get enough protein and drink enough water )
    -limit sugar (bananas for example contain a larger amount then apples and berries, stick to the bananas occasionally)
    -drink as much water as you can
    -your diet is most important as is weight training, lift heavy weights and the weight will fall off
    -change up your cardio, keep it fun, update your playlist, do whatever is needed so you get the job done 5-6 days per week
    -log/write down everything!! :)
    -get a calander and write out one goal you want to accomplish each week, small goals=big results
    -dont give up if it takes you a year to loose those ten pounds as long as you gave it 100% that is all that is required for success, not a number on the scale.
  • willforbes
    willforbes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It took me a little over a month, but the Holiday season slowed me down.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started out at the high end of a healthy weight, so all the weight I've lost has taken a long time! It probably took me 4 months to lose the first 10. Speed of weight loss is highly dependent on your current weight and how much water you retain. As I'm at a very healthy weight right now, I'm focusing more on my body composition and fitness rather than the number on the scale. :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it is very individual and depends on how much weight you actually need to lose - if you are morbidly obese, you might be able to lose 10 lbs in a week. If you're just in the 'overweight' category, it might take something like 4-6 weeks. If you are already in a healthy weight range, it might take 10-20 weeks. When I first started out counting calories, I was 165 (overweight for my height, but not quite into the obese category), by sticking to my calorie goal I lost 1 lb about every 4 days, so it took me about 40 days to lose 10 lbs. Now that I am in a healthy weight range (130 as of today) I can only count on losing 1/2-1 lb per week so to lose 10 lbs takes longer (my goal on MFP is 1/2 lb per week but I find that sometimes I actually lose a little faster). OP, since you do not have a lot of weight to lose, it is healthier and more sustainable to lose it slower, like 1/2 lb per week. Some weeks you may find you lose a little more or a little less, but that is the recommended average for someone who is not really overweight. Good luck. :-)
  • BirchBayLady
    BirchBayLady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks. Slow and steady.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As others have said, activity level, age, gender, and your weight all factor into this. It tends to take me 2 months to lose 10 lbs. That is eating (mostly) 1200 - 1300 calories a day, and lightly exercising. That still adds up to 60 lbs. in a year's time. Not a bad result.
  • bgeruntho
    bgeruntho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It took 15 days for me to lose 11...I'm going to assume it'll be less and less as the weeks go by. I'm looking to lose around 30.
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple of months. But there is no "normal". It depends on so many things. Your starting weight, whether you really need to lose the weight or just want to, genetics, medical and physical condition, what you eat, how much you exercise, etc.
  • BeautifulMe322
    BeautifulMe322 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. Started this journey on the 2nd at 270.9lbs. Weighed in this morning at 261.0lbs. Good luck and keep with it. You didn't gain those 10lbs overnight :D