Protein shakes?

Options
Is there a brand that's better to take with your workout?
Keep hearing how they help speed your metabolism up
And we all know that helps with burning fat.
Or is it all a bunch of baloney?

Replies

• Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    Doesn't aid your metabolism or in burning fat, though it is a convenient way to up your protein intake if you find it hard to meet your daily protein needs.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I make my own with fresh fruits, veggies, almond milk or water, and brown rice/gemma pea protein powder. They're delicious after a tough workout!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    Is there a brand that's better to take with your workout?
    Keep hearing how they help speed your metabolism up
    And we all know that helps with burning fat.
    Or is it all a bunch of baloney?

I agree with the second poster. However, it does help with muscle repair since you should increase your protein on workout days (up to a gram per pound). I use EAS CarbControl which has 100-110 calories, 17g protein and 6g or less of carbs (protein and carbs are my macros).
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Doesn't aid your metabolism or in burning fat, though it is a convenient way to up your protein intake if you find it hard to meet your daily protein needs.

Yep...
  • tlancz01
    Options
    I'm not sure protein shakes help with metabolism but I love the taste and know that they give me more protein then regular breakfast cereals! I usually add a small portion (4 oz) of low fat plain greek yogurt to add protein and a nice smoothy feel with 1/2 cup of strawberries and 1/2 banana. I think that the banana may add to the carbs but it adds great flavor! I usually always have a shake after I exercise in the morning (20-40 minutes worth of cardio mixed with some toning).

Good luck at finding a blender that chops well because that is my biggest issue! Enjoy them though as they are truly delicious!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    They don't do anything for the metabolism. As noted above in several places, they are a supplement that serves two main purposes:

1) helps give you protein. Most of the food we get is carb-rich. For those of us on a diet that requires a lot of protein, shakes are indispensable.

2) after workouts give you a source of building blocks that are easy for the body to use.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is a really good brand. 120 cal 24g protein. Highly recommended and lots of flavors to choose from. Also, in a recent Consumer Reports study it tested amongst the lowest brands for having harmful metal minerals, acid, and what not in the product. I like the double chocolate and the vanilla ice cream and make post-workout shakes in the blender with crushed ice fresh fruit or peanut butter and almond milk.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is a really good brand. 120 cal 24g protein. Highly recommended and lots of flavors to choose from. Also, in a recent Consumer Reports study it tested amongst the lowest brands for having harmful metal minerals, acid, and what not in the product. I like the double chocolate and the vanilla ice cream and make post-workout shakes in the blender with crushed ice fresh fruit or peanut butter and almond milk.

I second This!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There are things that will get you going before your workout like Jack3D. Careful with those though, might have trouble sleeping.
  • ViSabbi
    ViSabbi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I go with ViSalus vi-shape shakes. Unique blend of soy (isoflavine removed) and whey proteins. 12g per shake, very low on carbs and fat even tho it tastes like cake mix. 90 calories, perfect for meal replacement during weight-loss or after workout to help build lean muscles.

The protein helps repair your muscles after work out. Get in touch with me if you want to try it out.
  • kristyhooker
    Options

I agree with this, this is what I use, I've lost over 100 pounds, it helps me feel full, and since I lift it really helps with recovery as well. I also mix it with skim milk still to help add the carbs I need....
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    I use Promasil, it's from GNC and it is apparently the only protein powder approved by some federal board here proving it's health benefits. It uses a blend of different proteins but I have heard that whey protein in particular aids in weight loss. My protein power has 20 grams of protein per scoop and uses no artificial sweeteners I believe. http://www.rivalus.net/products/promasil/
  • A protein that got 9.6/10 on bodybuilding.com and one I will always stand behind for great taste is Beverly International.

Beverly International. Contact Fitnessbygrace@gmail.com my trainer distributes for them. Tell her Katie sent you.

This protein has helped me loose 80+ pounds and I take it everyday at least once. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake or can be made into a pudding.

It's helped me lean out/ build muscle at the same time. Really quality stuff.

Please also check out the following information on bodybuilding.com for reviews:

http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/Beverly_Int/Ultimate_Muscle_Protein
  • dharakrat
    Options
    I like Premier Protein it has 30 grams, and 3 net carbs. Tastes like chocolate milk with no muscle milk type film.

I also like ON (optimum nutrition Hydrowhey and gold standard) with milk or water. Good luck!
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    Thanks for all the fast responses! I am really still learning about all of this and clearly have more to learn. I am now wondering, if I want to help with the weight loss along with my work outs, is a protein shake the way to go or do I need to take something different? I thought that the shakes would help with weight loss, although from what I am reading it isn't necessarily desinged to do so.
    Thanks for all the suggestions on the brands, can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect to pay at the store for some of the stuff?