Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start week 4 tomorrow... so far (after some initial aches in my shins from not being used in AGES) I haven't had any problems with it... but we'll see how we go this week :) I think the best thing about running is that you don't have to psych yourself up to do it... you just put on your shoes and walk (or run) out the door!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Planning on starting soon myself! Now that I'm down almost 30lbs I feel ready to "run." I have done 5k races in the past but have not been able to run them because i trained on the ellypitical or the arc trainer- I need to learn to RUN!

I'm super shy about running on a treadmill, but WHATEVERRRRR!!!! I'll feel better on a treadmill than I will being fat in public for the rest of my life as my health and mobility get worse and I end up like family members with Diabetes and horrible living conditions!

Ok- Now I'm motivated! How about you???
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in Sept. 2010, ran my first 5K race the following December, my first 5 miler race last may, my first 10K last October, my first half marathon this past December and now I'm working toward my first full marathon on 3/4...so yeah, it worked for me. I wasn't a runner before in case you are wondering.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i am at the beginning of week 8 day 1. i love it! i could not run for maybe a minute when i first started running and last week i ran for 30 min straight!

here are some tips: repeat weeks if needed! i started this program in the beginning of september and just finishing next week or so. i did take off a month and did repeat several days if needed. also, i don't really care about the time right now. i can do a 5k in 36 minutes so about a 11 minute mile or so. after i finish this program i am going to try and increase my speed.

have fun!

oh i use the c25k app for the iphone...i think it was 3 dollars but its awesome. you can listen to your own music, have cues to tell you when to start/stop and journal how your run was.
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should totally do it. It is downright amazing how at the beginning, even the one-minute runs seemed virtually impossible, but by the end, I could run!! Now, about 3 months after finishing C25k, I am still running 3 days a week. Yesterday I did 4.5 miles. I had an app on my phone and the voice would tell you when to walk and run, it kept it very simple!

Completely agree. It is great! I finished Thanksgiving week and have continued to run as well. The progress you make is unreal. Never thought I would be able to run for 30 minutes but now I can.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    YES! It's great! I did it a year ago. Since then I have done 5, 5ks races and one half marathon. This Saturday I'm running another 5k.
  • CountryGal83
    CountryGal83 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Where would I be able to find this? I'm interested in doing it....
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It works. It really works.

I finished it mid-December outside, although my running is not very fast. I am doing it again on a treadmill over the winter to try to increase my speed and just finished up week 2.
  • 2LiveHealthy
    2LiveHealthy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to see this thread. I have done a few 5k's but at about 2 miles, I need to walk some then run some. I have yet to be able to complete the 5K running. :( The stamina is just not there. One of my goals is to RUN an entire 5K. Off to find the app and give it a shot! Good Luck to all of you! :)
  • Stacy121
    Stacy121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4, day 3. I never thought I'd be able to run for 5 minutes straight but now I can. Like others have mentioned, if you're not comfortable do a week over again. I might do week 4 for a second time.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

FYI - for those of you wanting the app. You need to have smart phone. Go the the "Market", click on "search", type in "couch to 5k", then download. Its a really cool app.

Good luck!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have a read of my post on it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453912-couch-to-5k

since my first 5k ive now done it 4 times on the treadmill, did try yesterday to run outside but failed, probably as i was trying to keep up with my daughter lol
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options

FYI - for those of you wanting the app. You need to have smart phone. Go the the "Market", click on "search", type in "couch to 5k", then download. Its a really cool app.

Good luck!

you dont need a smart phone most phones will play mp3 and you can download a good free app from "NHS c25k"

lots of info here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Do you have to run outside or can you do it on a treadmill? Does it tell you what pace to run at on the treadmill ?
  • maggie4097
    Options
    Yes, you should totally do it. It is downright amazing how at the beginning, even the one-minute runs seemed virtually impossible, but by the end, I could run!! Now, about 3 months after finishing C25k, I am still running 3 days a week. Yesterday I did 4.5 miles. I had an app on my phone and the voice would tell you when to walk and run, it kept it very simple!

Completely agree. It is great! I finished Thanksgiving week and have continued to run as well. The progress you make is unreal. Never thought I would be able to run for 30 minutes but now I can.

Totally agree--it is downright amazing. I am a person that needs structure and instruction for things like this, so c25k worked great for me. I am SO not a runner--never have been, but I can complete a 5k!! Who knew?!?!
  • bck80
    bck80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi i am doing this program, i can tell you if u never ran before week1 one coul be a challenge, but it's not really that bad, i am on week 3 day1. and i am looking forward to runing now however i am a little nervous about week 5 when the runs get a little longer and at the same times i can't wait to see THAT I CAN DO THIS!! it becomes fun as you go!
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did c25k in April-June 2011 - I think it's a fantastic program. It feels near impossible each time you move up, but once you run that 90 seconds, 3 minutes, 5 minutes...it makes you feel amazing! I lead a group doing c25k in Sept-October and it was so much fun to watch them improve and tackle it each week. I myself am scheduled for a 9.5 mile this weekend - so yes, it works and you can use bridge to 10k after that to continue on up or even just switch to the Jeff Galloway programs, which is what I'm using to get up to a half marathon.
  • tkopps
    tkopps Posts: 341
    Options
    I finished it at the beginning of October and found that it really works. I can now run 8km. I would have never thought this possible last year in August when I started since I hated running. I can´t say that I love the running yet, but I can do it without sucking air after 5 minutes. I would also recommend a podcast to help make it easier with the music as well as the signals when to run and walk. I used Chubby Jones. It is free and has some good tunes for running.

Good luck and have some fun!
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you have to run outside or can you do it on a treadmill? Does it tell you what pace to run at on the treadmill ?

I am currently on Week 3 Day 1 on the C25K program. Here is a link that makes life better on the treadmill doing this program:

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

It breaks it down in "times" and that's what really sticks in my mind when I need to push myself!
    I'm not in a rush to complete the program, so if I feel that I need to repeat a day or a week, I will.
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Oh, and as far as what pace to run at....personally I run at what is comfortable for me....I can worry about speed once I am able complete the entire program.
  • alianf
    alianf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did it 2 summers ago and LOVED it. Never ran before in my life. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment and was very proud of myself. And I found out I love to run. If you're really struggling you can always repeat a week until you're ready to move on.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!