Sardine ideas anyone?

Options

Replies

• gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    you should eat them like the Portugese do.....grilled coated in peri peri. Lovely and spicy and very delicious.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    One of the best meals I had was in Portugal, fresh caught grilled sardines with olive oil,lemon juice and some kind of herb with a side of fluffy boiled potatoes, big raw tomatoes and chunky bread

So simple but so nice

That sounds great, I've caught them before (well, only the one) whislt on a boat in Turkey and when the captain cooked it, it was stunning, I didnt get the recipe though so thanks for this.

That would be the recipe I POSTED.

Huh?

I was on about eating some in Portugal!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    One of the best meals I had was in Portugal, fresh caught grilled sardines with olive oil,lemon juice and some kind of herb with a side of fluffy boiled potatoes, big raw tomatoes and chunky bread

So simple but so nice

That sounds great, I've caught them before (well, only the one) whislt on a boat in Turkey and when the captain cooked it, it was stunning, I didnt get the recipe though so thanks for this.

That would be the recipe I POSTED.

Huh?

I was on about eating some in Portugal!

She posted a similar recipe to what you had in Portugal but the OP ignored it in favor of complaining about people who responded on the thread. Her comment was directed at the OP, not you.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I posted this post in the first place, was simply to gather some interesting/inspiring recipes from first hand cooks who might be able to help.

So thank you to those who took the time out to share a tip or two, if I didnt thank you *directy* I do apologise if that offended you!
  • craig1970
    craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is a perfectly reasonable thread to post. It doesn't deserve negative comments or stupid responses.
    If you're so bored you have to post "I don't like sardines" in response then go outdoors and look for a life.

I dont blame the original poster for defending what she wrote. Get off her back, ****heads.
  • eeebee
    Options
    If you're so bored you have to post "I don't like sardines" in response then go outdoors and look for a life.

My thoughts exactly, "a bit of tuesday fun" - bit sad really.

This is meant to be a supportive site, right?
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    I'm getting into the tinned variety after wanting improved fuel for breakfast............ loving the simplicity with some lemon, cracked pepper and salt on toast.

Tomorrow Im indulging (being Sunday) so goung to do them on nice toasted wholemeal bread with some Tabasco sauce. Should get my engine started before a Glove/Pad & Kettlebell Session!
  • eeebee
    Options
    I'm getting into the tinned variety after wanting improved fuel for breakfast............ loving the simplicity with some lemon, cracked pepper and salt on toast.

Tomorrow Im indulging (being Sunday) so goung to do them on nice toasted wholemeal bread with some Tabasco sauce. Should get my engine started before a Glove/Pad & Kettlebell Session!

That sounds very tasty and healthy too - glad you're getting into them!

So is my other half, actually....the tinned tomatoey kind. It doesnt cost much but it's pretty yummy....I now mix it with sauteed garlic, scallions, parsley, chilli, sundried tomatoes and freshly cooked wholewheat pasta (using a bit of pasta water to make more sauce).....bit of parmesan mixed in, winning dinner! Give it a tr sometime and let me know what you think :)
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try sardines, the Asda near me has no fresh fish counter... but i'll have a search around. Some of these recipes sound yummy!
  • eeebee
    Options
    I'd love to try sardines, the Asda near me has no fresh fish counter... but i'll have a search around. Some of these recipes sound yummy!

fresh sardines are lovely, but the tinned kind are actually growing on me and i enjoy them too so maybe try the recipe that i make my other half (i try to avoid pasta at night if i can so i make it just for him) which is above your post x
  • Jenatello
    Jenatello Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I saw someone posted grilled with salt and pepper. That's how I cook them. And I'll put them on a salad or cut them up and make 'fish' tacos out of them. Those are the only ways I've ever had them.

Good luck in your search! :D
  • Richellebeatle
    Richellebeatle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I always eat them out of the can. Beach cliff brand in water. I eat them on crackers. First I put mustard on the cracker then piece of sardine, and then top with a jarred jalapeno slice. I love them this way and it’s one of my favorite things to eat. Best of luck to you!
  • Jenatello
    Jenatello Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    BTW, now I really want sardines... haha :)
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    way to go straighten them up, Answer the questions who cares about stupid comments. That is the way i feel now and Yes i have an answer for you my friend. when i have a can of sardines i put in the fridge first to get cold , it get more taste..

here is a few food tips :

1. Make some whole wheat toast , no butter, let them dry up , cut them into 3 or 4 pieces vertical about one inch lenth , put one sardine per piece, top it up with mustard or ketchup or anything a bit spicy , make a line with a knife ( make a line ) , you can have them like an hors d'oeuvre.

2. Last week i made a Macaroni and cheese ( Kraft dinner ) with Sardine dill and sundried tomatoes here is the receipe

cook macaroni as the box says, in a pan add one teaspoon of sundried tomato olive oil ( from the Jar), one clove of garlic minced, 3 sundried tomatoes chopped up, one medium onion minced and one can of sardine chopped up , salt ,pepper to taste mix together. in the pan

to the macaroni add 1/4 of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of non fat sodium free margarine,the package of Kraft dinner cheese, and one teaspoon of fresh dill mix well

add the sardine mix to the pot,mix well , add one teaspoon of Fresh dill

Voila , enjoy
  • eeebee
    Options
    I always eat them out of the can. Beach cliff brand in water. I eat them on crackers. First I put mustard on the cracker then piece of sardine, and then top with a jarred jalapeno slice. I love them this way and it’s one of my favorite things to eat. Best of luck to you!

So simple yet sounds great!

Also very very healthy, what a great snack :drinker:
  • eeebee
    Options
    way to go straighten them up, Answer the questions who cares about stupid comments. That is the way i feel now and Yes i have an answer for you my friend. when i have a can of sardines i put in the fridge first to get cold , it get more taste..

1. Make some whole wheat toast , no butter, let them dry up , cut them into 3 or 4 pieces vertical about one inch lenth , put one sardine per piece, top it up with mustard or ketchup or anything a bit spicy , make a line with a knife ( make a line ) , you can have them like an hors d'oeuvre.

2. Last week i made a Macaroni and cheese ( Kraft dinner ) with Sardine dill and sundried tomatoes here is the receipe

cook macaroni as the box says, in a pan add one teaspoon of sundried tomato olive oil ( from the Jar), one clove of garlic minced, 3 sundried tomatoes chopped up, one medium onion minced and one can of sardine chopped up , salt ,pepper to taste mix together. in the pan

to the macaroni add 1/4 of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of non fat sodium free margarine,the package of Kraft dinner cheese, and one teaspoon of fresh dill mix well

Voila , enjoy

Thank you - lovely sardine toast slices idea, sounds nutritious too as no mayo or butter + wholemeal bread is the best.

Might try having it for my lunch tomorrow in fact.

I cant get the mac n cheese boxes here in the UK but I do miss them (used to have it when I lived abroad) so perhaps it'd work with home made mac n cheese...

I have discovered that humble sardines love pasta and pasta loves sardines (and garlic & sun dried tomato is what binds them together for eternity :love: )
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    dont make homemade Mac and cheese it is full of fat, instead of Mac and cheese make macaroni with no cheese , use olive oil and fresh herbs, make it italian style........I was in London in 2005 i miss this huge 12 millions people city , cant see how that can fit that many plp there dought .

Voila , enjoy

Thank you - lovely sardine toast slices idea, sounds nutritious too as no mayo or butter + wholemeal bread is the best.

Might try having it for my lunch tomorrow in fact.

I cant get the mac n cheese boxes here in the UK but I do miss them (used to have it when I lived abroad) so perhaps it'd work with home made mac n cheese...

I have discovered that humble sardines love pasta and pasta loves sardines (and garlic & sun dried tomato is what binds them together for eternity :love: )
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the responses that I found regarding the post. I thought this was a site to encourage, motivate, support, and shoot healthy ideas to each other, something like a positive site. Maybe people were being silly, funny or what have you but when I read some of them, I sensed a liltte jerkish. Anywho, back to the question at hand, I haver never had fresh sadines but I love canned/tinned sardines.

If I am not just looking for a quick fix, i usually boil rice and fry an egg or 2. I mix the fried eggs, rice, and sadines together. Sprinkle a little pepper and seasoned salt and add a little butter and dig in! Oh wow that made me want some!!!!!! :-)
  • eeebee
    Options
    That sounds so delicious.

I'm going to try that little egg n rice mix - I love egg n rice anyway, so with some added flavour, how can it go wrong?

Thanks girl, I might try adding some garlic to it as well (is that the seasoned salt you used?).

[PS. yep, some folk like to make sarky remarks yet can't handle a valid comeback...luckily for me there are so many better things to do out in the real world than get all pathetic & require a big old pat on the back for every little reply on an online support site :smokin: ]
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Salt, lemon and then grill.....love them!!!