My first week, so frustrating!

Options
I started my new lifestyle on Monday of last week. I worked my patoot off last week, ate my calories, sometimes below. Worked out, drank only water. I got on the scales this morning hoping to see some weight loss. NOTHING! Very frustrating for my first week! I really felt like I should have seen results! :( Any advice?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and tell us what your exercise was burning and we can go from there.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    A personal trainer at a gym I used to go to put it to me best -- I took years to put on the weight. I should not expect it to come off in months.

What is important is that you are adopting good habits that will be with you for the rest of your life. Even if you don't see changes in the scale as fast as you would like, the fact that you are eating healthier and exercising is going to have dramatic impact to your overall health. You will feel more energetic, have more stamina, and just plain look better because of what you are doing for your skin, bones, etc.

Don't be discouraged just because only one of hundreds or thousands of dimensions of your health isn't changing the way you want it to just yet.
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Give it a little more time and stick with it. I notice that it takes a good 2 weeks for my body to catch up to all the good things that I am doing. Your body is adjusting. Make sure you always eat you calories though. I have sabatoged myself big time in the past by eating under my calories. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto whatever weight it has. A little "personal" here but if it is near your TOM then that could explain the no loss too. I always gain 5 pounds the week before my TOM. If I can not gain that 5 pounds buy diet and exercise that is a huge success for me. Keep up the good work :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Sometimes we under-estimate what a true serving is. Watch sodium intake.
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Embrace the lifestyle - the results will follow.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    Loseing weight can be very frustrating, but just keep at it and you'll see the results sooner than later.

14285388.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dkueter94
    Options
    That is exactly how I felt my first couple weeks!!! BUT stick with it! It will start to come off. :)
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been "back on the wagon" since December 26th,I have over eaten a few times but never in excess. I exercise 4 days a week,and other then dropping the holiday bloat I've not lost any yet. Im not giving up though because looking ahead is better then moving backwards.
  • rieson
    rieson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Embrace the lifestyle - the results will follow.

Love this and it is so true!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I started my new lifestyle on Monday of last week. I worked my patoot off last week, ate my calories, sometimes below. Worked out, drank only water. I got on the scales this morning hoping to see some weight loss. NOTHING! Very frustrating for my first week! I really felt like I should have seen results! :( Any advice?

when new to exercise your muscles tend to store water to aid in recovery and to protect them from the damage caused by working out. So you could easily have lost 1-2 lbs of fat and are storing that much water. once you are use to the routine your muscle will shed the excess water. stick with it.
  • richelle67
    Options
    Don't give up. It does work. I have been on here since Nov. 13th and am down 30lbs. Are you measuring your foods? Are you writing down everything you put in your mouth? I know my first 2 weeks I cut my carbs and lost the most weight right off the bat. But I wanted to see immediate results to get me motivated. I eat carbs now and the weight is slower coming off, but it is a lifestyle change and I am ok with that. Give it more time. It will happen for you. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like more support! :smile:
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know it is frustrating, but keep going. It took me a whole month before I started seeing any real loss. Your body will catch up eventually and in the mean time, you will start feeling a lot better.
  • Vnoski
    Vnoski Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can't expect instant results. I am on my second week and I won't even think of getting on a scale till at least 30 days have gone by. I've done this before and I didn't really SEE results till my 3rd month. KEEP AT IT!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
    And what exercises are you doing?
    Are you recording and eating back any calories burned doing exercise?
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built overnight. Keep at it. You are expecting too much too quickly.
  • TRIPLESEC
    Options
    Just hang in there and then all of a sudden you will see a ton of weight loss and try to take in all of your calories.
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is the beginning of my fourth week. The first 3 weeks I gained weight, about a pound a week. I've heard you hold on to fluid when you start a different exercise routine so your body can repair muscles, etc. Today I am back to my starting weight and have been consistently losing about 0.5 pound a day. I expect by the end of the week, some of my progress will show up on the scale. Until then, since I KNOW that I have been eating at a deficit and exercising, I can know it will show up eventually. Maybe you are the same way?
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    WOW! You people are AMAZING! Thank so much for the encouragement!! I guess I just figured I would see some kind of change in the scale. I went to the gym 4 days last week, which is 100% more than I was doing because I just didn't make time between my full time job, mommy hood and wife hood. I did 50 minutes of cardio each day and a small amount of weights. Low weight, high reps. I have been keeping up with my intake, but not really how much I am burning. I find that hard to do. Any suggestions on that? I work at a sit down office job, so, my booty is in my chair all day. I didn't do so well on my diary my first week because I was still trying to figure it all out. I am a very detailed person and like to have things down to a science. I think that's why I get so frustrated. I have read and heard that if you don't eat x amount of calories then you won't lose, and if you eat too many calories then you won't lose either. There are right foods and wrong foods to boost your metabolism and ability to burn fat, ones that will give you more energy etc. It's a lot to take in for someone who has never really had to worry about my weight. When I started this sit down job, got married, started birth control, then had a baby is when this all started. Now I am up about 70 pounds from 2003 and it brings me to tears just thinking about where I have let my body get to. :( Depressing really.
  • kyanilockett
    Options
    I agree all of the responses are amazing and encouraging. Keep up the fabulous work ok!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor if you can't figure out how many calories you're burning.