How often do you REALLY weigh in?

Options
I know MFP says to weigh once a week...however I weigh in everyday. I can't help it!! LOL I have to!! Usually more than once a day :embarassed:

Replies

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only log it once a week (same day and same time each week)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily too, but I can handle any fluctuations and use my weigh in as a guide as to what I will do that day exercise wise.
    I would advise that people that "live and die" by the scale SHOULDN'T weigh everyday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. But I only record on MFP once per week, on Wednesdays. As long as it doesn't discourage you, there is no reason you can't weigh yourself multiple times a day and so forth. In some ways its interesting to take note of the fluctuations and the way certain foods, exercise, etc effect your weight on a daily basis.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I keep telling myself to STOP weighing every day, and every morning I get up and say "I'll just weigh this one last time." LOL.....I can't help it. I don't like surprises.....and don't want to be surprised (negatively) on Mondays when my "true" weigh date is.

14285388.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    NEVERRRRRR!

The scale is not your friend!
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I use another piece of software called DietPower that prompts you to weigh in daily. If you don't enter a weight, it defaults to the previous day's weight, but I like weighing in every day because the software adjusts daily to suit your weight trends.

I know some people freak out when they gain 0.5 pounds from one day to the next, but I'm knowledgeable enough about weight loss to know that weight can fluctuate by several pounds daily, so I don't worry about that.
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    Once a week only (when I check in on MFP), but, like others have said, if you can take it, you can do so more often to see the daily/hourly weight fluctuations. I'm a coward and can't take it, so I only weigh-in once a week.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Every. Freaking. Day.
  • tnlaw06
    tnlaw06 Posts: 11
    Options
    Usually 2-3 times a week. If I've eaten a lot of salt the day before, I'll avoid the scale because I don't want to be discouraged by the water retention. :smile:
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. But I only record on MFP once per week, on Wednesdays. As long as it doesn't discourage you, there is no reason you can't weigh yourself multiple times a day and so forth. In some ways its interesting to take note of the fluctuations and the way certain foods, exercise, etc effect your weight on a daily basis.

Good point! I definitely see that certain things cause me to retain water (because there's no way I gain 2 pounds during the day) more than others, which tells me I need to reevaluate the sodium levels in somethings I may eat. I DO get a little discouraged, but I'm trying to keep my head about it and not freak out and just see the "big" picture.
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    Every single day
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself to STOP weighing every day, and every morning I get up and say "I'll just weigh this one last time." LOL.....I can't help it. I don't like surprises.....and don't want to be surprised (negatively) on Mondays when my "true" weigh date is.

LOL! Yep! Me too!
  • boa74
    boa74 Posts: 18
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week!!!! Only because my weight fluctuates throughout the week and I feel if I had put on a pound or two on one day then I would go and eat a massive bar of chocolate to make myself feel better!
    It's so darn hard though!!!!!!!:sad: :laugh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    At first I had to do the scientific experimentation on myself and see what happens on a daily basis to know what's going on so I use to weigh myself multiple times daily. Now I weigh myself about once every week or so.

On the other hand I'm constantly measuring my waist and turns out I fluctuate ~2 inches daily.

I'm in constant confusion and never know what to actually write down what I am. I'm a 133lb 28 inch thing by night and a 129lb 26 inch skinny thing by day? :P
  • x_biggirl
    Options
    I weigh in once a week on a Monday evening, when I first started this journey I did the same thing and kept weighing in every couple of days to check. My weight varied each day and I found it hard when it didn't say the same thing as the day before.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    On the other hand I'm constantly measuring my waist and turns out I fluctuate ~2 inches daily.

Yeah, I've noticed the same with me. That is why I only measure myself in the morning -- gravity will make your waist grow over the course of the day. When you've been in bed all night, your body stretches back out.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning. I only record the new lows, however. I vary as much as 3 pounds from day to day and night to morning.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Every morning... but I don't log it until there is a loss. I retain water like the Hoover Dam if I eat too much salt, so I try not to worry if I'm up 2 lbs today if I was eating chips last night. Also, I'm not the most " regular " of people, and I know that contributes a LOT.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, but only record my weight if I've held that number for a few days.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Once a week! Always before breakfast on tuesdays.