Almonds, peanuts, cashews... How bad ARE they?

Options

Replies

• starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    BTW - my lips are salty from the nuts I just ate...mmmm
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts on a daily basis. Usually almonds, but I also love pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds and cashews. Not a huge fan of peanuts but I do love me some peanut butter.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    dude, nuts are great for you.

mmmmm.... nuts.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said that women that eat 3/4 cup of nuts a week lowers their chance of heart disease. The key is moderation and we can't do that for you. :-) I would stay away from peanuts though only because there are other nuts with bigger benefits (walnuts, pecans, and pistachios).
  • LetYourLightShine
    Options
    Try buying to 100 calorie packs. I buy Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, delish!:smile:

Mmm! YES, those are my favorite! :)
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a big bag of almonds and pistachios in the house. And right next to them I have my measuring cup and snack size baggies. I measure or count them out and I'm good to go!!
  • KatelynDesrosiers
    Options
    I use zip-lock bags for everything. I spend about an hour after shopping and portion out all my snacks into zip lock baggies. That way you know exactly how many calories your eating. It is so easy to underestimate your calaories. Also,t hsi makes you have to get up to get more which gives you enough time to reconsider your choice of eating more.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I I <
    This bad

I like this LOL
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use zip-lock bags for everything. I spend about an hour after shopping and portion out all my snacks into zip lock baggies. That way you know exactly how many calories your eating. It is so easy to underestimate your calaories. Also,t hsi makes you have to get up to get more which gives you enough time to reconsider your choice of eating more.

I measure 1/2 oz put them in a bag (keep them in a car or purse for emergencies
  • mastock64
    Options
    I have taken to having one ounce of almonds each day as my mid-afternoon snack. I buy the lightly salted kind, because I do like them to have a little saltiness, and I measure them out with a scale (something I highly recommend).

Although one ounce of nuts is not terribly filling, they do have the benefit of a low glycemic value, so they are ultimately more satisfying than crackers or something sweet. It gets me through until dinner!

Melissa
  • shariTN
    shariTN Posts: 53
    Options
    i put almond slithers on my fruit and veggie salads. They add a little crunch and are very good for you. And putting some slithers on things like salads, cereals and yogurts are a good way to eat them in moderation.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says people who eat nuts live longer than those who do not.
    Eat the nuts. Just keep the amounts to a small handful a day.
  • tiyatela
    Options
    Raw almonds and cashews are actually great for you - roasting changes the healthy fats in the nuts.

http://www.greenlemonade.com/cleanse-your-body/benefits-raw-nuts-roasted-nuts/

i prefer raw almonds and cashews mixed with raw cocoa nibs, goiji berries and raw pumpkin seeds - i mix them in a container and store them in the fridge - a small hand full is all i need .
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Cashews, macadamia nuts, and pecans are some of the worst nut culprits for having a lot of fat in comparison to the protein.

I sometimes make a snack from dark chocolate roasted almonds, a few dried cranberries (not too many; they've got a fair amount of sugar in them), and a handful of fiber one cereal. It's enough to give your mouth a bunch of different flavors, a lot of crunch, and if you drink a full glass of water with it, can last your body a few hours, say as an afternoon mini-fuel-up.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

I measure 1/2 oz put them in a bag (keep them in a car or purse for emergencies

i can't imagine an emergency where you'd need nuts. :laugh: not trying to argue, the scenario is just funny in my head!
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    Try putting them in stuff -- on top of your salad, in your oatmeal, etc. You'll get the health benefit from them but won't be tempted to overeat.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love nuts.
    I eat nuts a lot!
    Nuts are tasty in my mouth!!

Indeed!!!! :tongue:
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    necessary not bad...good fats and full of fibre and protein. a small palm size amount is a portion or weigh specifically 1 oz to be sure that you are not over doing it!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Try buying to 100 calorie packs. I buy Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, delish!:smile:
    I keep a larger container of peanuts, almonds, and cashews at work and just weight them out into portions on a food scale. Buying them in prepackaged 100 calorie increments gets overly expensive.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I keep most of those around.

I like adding half of a serving to my salads so I have a different kind of crunch and I like having them for the protein because I don't always have cooked meat around to toss in a salad.

Definitely count them out or weigh them (my scale has become one of my new friends, I think my bf thinks I'm a tad nuts)

Blue Diamond almonds are yummy, I'd stick more with almonds personally.