Going over limit on Protein almost daily?

Options
Hi

Newbie to the forums and been using the site for a couple of weeks now - its extremely good and have several work mates on here too!

One question I have been noticing, I seem to be going over my recommended protein limit almost every day, im under on my calories, carbs and fat but never on the final one! Is this a major problem for weight loss? I always thought that protein was more for muscle repair after exercise so could this be a problem or nothing to really worry about?

Many thanks!

Steve

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm no nutritionist, but as far as I know, going over on protein is just fine. It keps you fuller and as long as your fat and cholesterol intakes are in check, I'd say keep up what you're doing!
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I found that I was doing this too. I did some research on macronutrient recommended daily percentages and decided to change my macronutrient goals (you can do this in goals->custom) to have a mix of 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein. I come much closer to hitting these targets than the original goals MFP gave me.
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I try to stick to mainly lean protein, veggies, whole grains, etc. so I have the same issue! I'm pretty sure there is no problem in going over in the protein department. :)
  • stevebales
    Options
    Wow so many quick replies! Thats great thanks all - just wasnt sure as I thought it was ok but just wanted to check with fellow users if they had the same thing (and thankfully you do!)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    if your working out a lot, especially intense exercise, and or lifting weights, your going to need more protien then the defaults MFP puts in. i personally upped mine to 40% protien.
  • krystinaarlene
    krystinaarlene Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this too. And I only eat fish! So eating too much protein won't make you gain weight? I've been feeling nervous about this.