Tell me about your dogs!

Options

Replies

• iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My first dog as an adult, Kaili, was a pom/terrier. She passed Oct 15 of 2011. She was my absolute joy and love and I miss her every day.

Our 2nd dog is a doberman/akeida/rhodesian ridgeback cross. He is the body and colour of a red doberman, he has the akeida tail and eyes and he has the skull/ears and ruffle like a ridgeback. I was worried about aggression and the hunting instinct with such a mix but he is the biggest suck on the planet. Nothing like an 80#+ lapdog!

Our newest, Bailey, is a 3/4 shih tzu/ 1/4 jack russel. My husband gave her to me as a surprise for my bday at the end of Dec. She is brain numbingly cute and is a handful to keep up with/keep in line. She's only 10 weeks today so she is little yet and we are pretty consistent with the rules. Now if she would just housetrain better!!!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    I have a son. He is my chocolate Labrador Retreiver, and like I said, he is my son! LOL. He sleeps in the bed with my husband and me. He is spoiled rotten. He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! He looks almost black because he is so shiny and soft, but he is a true dark chocolate lab. He protects his mommy (me)! He won't let anyone come into the bathroom with me especially a stranger or someone he is nto too familiar with and this doesn't matter if I'm showering, putting on makeup, brushing teeth, hair, etc. I guess he feels like I'm vulnerable in the bathroom??? Not real sure. He like to bark at the fourwheeler, and this weekend I ran over him a little bit (I was MORTIFIED when I did it) but he is ok. Didn't limp or anything, just got a small cut under his eye. Oh I cried! If I ever have kids I will be a pitifully overprotective mom!

When I tell him to get his ball, he picks up the closest toy and I can tell him to take it to his daddy and he will take it to my hubby and nudge him with the 'ball'. He loves playing catch with the frisbee. He likes to try to get some from our neighbors great danes, but he can't reach it! LOL
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old Lhasa Apso named Daisy who was a rescue. When we got her she was just shy of a year and had already had a litter of puppies and was half hairless and 3lbs underweight! Now she is a jumping fluff ball of nothing but attitude! And she has a sock fetish. If I dont close the kids doors she will go in there and find every stray sock there is and hide them behind the couch or get my daughters stuffed animals and hide them too. One day I was sorting clothes and had them piled on the floor and had to leave to get my son and when I got home she had dug through the piles of clothes and taken out about 7 socks!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have three of my own.

My oldest is Jasmine who just turned 11 this month, but don't tell her. She still thinks she's three and is a little energizer bunny. She's a lab/golden mix and the queen bee of the house. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old.

Next oldest is Jasper, a golden retriever. who will turn 7 in April. He was my first foster "failure". I foster for our local golden retriever rescue and have been since 2003. He came to me starved almost to death and 14 lbs at 4 1/2 months old. When I picked him up as my foster puppy, he put his head on my shoulder and breathed a huge sigh. I was done and he was mine.

Youngest is my Danny boy, a golden retriever. He is my second foster "failure" (I've fostered over 50 dogs and puppies). He came to me at 5 months old and in congestive heart failure due to two hereditary heart conditions. He underwent surgery at the local vet school and came through with flying colors. He has been a nice puppy/dog from day one. Once his heart had been repaired, he turned into super energy dog and scared off all potential adopters, so after 6 months, I adopted him. I've never looked back! He turned 5 in October, but I call him Peter Pan because he will never grow up!

Both the goldens are therapy dogs and work with children in our local elementary schools who have trouble reading. The kids read books to the dogs and it makes them more comfortable with reading. And the dogs absolutely adore the kids!

I also do in-home training for a trainer in our area and work with puppies that owners are having troubles with.
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    I have a Pitty named Teddy, and a Pitty-boxer mix her name is hope, both were adopted from a no kill shelter in Ill- Hope came to us heart worm positive and after a long fight we won! she is now a healthy happy 1 year old girl! Teddy was an outdoor dog before he went to the shelter and they got him from a high kill shelter in Ak- needless to say this wisconsin winter (even as nice as its been) has not been kind on him, we've tried trainer after trainer, even went as far as to BRING him to a trainer where he stayed for intense training for 2 weeks but he REFUSES to come inside, and as a result has gotten sick 4 times in the two months we've had him. The last trainer suggested we rehome him asap before he falls sick and dies, obviously wisconsin isn;t the place for him. We've tried coat and boots, but he chews them right off, we tired dog house, he won't go into it. he was obviously never very socialized before he came to us. He is such a sweet natured baby, just a GIANT cuddle bug, WHEN we get him inside he is a lover all the way, the problem is he wont potty on a leash, or a stationary rope, he just chews it and sits there, and as soon as we let him off the leash he runs and hides under things, and as soon as we get close enough to catch him, he BOLTS. it takes anywhere between 20-60 minute to catch him, and let me tell you, in the dead of winter, thats the last thing anyone wants to do, but we manage. I want to keep him so much because I've never had such a lover as a fur baby, but I don't want him getting sick either.
    Hope on the otherhand has adjusted wonderfully, she is a sweet, loving, very active cuddle bug and has adopted my two year old as her own. Anywhere my two year old, she is right there watching out for him. being a boxer I thought we would have issues with table and counter jumping but she's not doing any of that, and has been super easy to train. shes a angel!!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs, too. My first baby is the only other girl besides be. Her name is Annie, and she is a malteze/****zu mix. We rescued her from the humane society about 7 years ago and have loved her since. She is very sweet, but moody. Very loyal to her momma. I work nights and she does not leave my side while I am sleeping. She has lots of spunk.
    Jack is our 5 year old little black wiener dog. I call him the slug because he doesn't move when you want him to. He has a great personality, and loves to burrow. His best friend is actually my husband's buddy.
    Cody is our blue heeler/boarder collie mix. He is our naughty boy. I rescued him from the humane society, too. He will be a year in a couple months. He is kinda like our "marley" dog. He has destroyed our drip lines in the backyard, ripped of the cover of the phone box outside, busted through the fences to play with the neighbor's dogs (we had to get an underground electric fence) and now that it is freezing cold, he has put a hole in our couch. BUT, we love him anyway and we know he will grow out of that stage (hopefully soon.)
    Our dogs love our kids, and our home wouldn't be complete without our furry family members.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Yay doggies! I have a 6-year-old cocker spaniel named Riley. He's a puppymill rescue, we took him in about a year ago. He was in very rough shape -- worms, chronic ear infection, severely underweight, and no muscle tone in his back legs because he'd been kept in a cage for five years. Now he is so happy and healthy (okay, even maybe getting a little pudgy!! :tongue: ).

He has a lot of issues still -- he's scared of almost everything and everyone, but he tries so hard. And he's such a good dog -- he never chews anything he's not supposed to, and he loves snoozing and walks, never very hyper (except when he sees a squirrel!), he loves sleeping in and never wakes us up on weekends, etc. We let him sleep on the bed with us (at the foot), and as soon as he hears one of us wake up in the morning, he climbs up and stretches out between us, so that we're all 'spooning'. Hahaha! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs. Doogan who is a German Shepherd and Zoe the Border Collie. They are both super smart and we keep them busy! My husband and I are members of a local search and rescue team and Doogan is my k9 partner and Zoe is his. Doogan is definitely a "mama's boy" and has to follow me everywhere! They are both certified Therapy Dogs as well. We also have two cats who think they are dogs and one will even eat Milk Bones! We love our animals and spoil them rotten!
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I love this topic!!! Thanks!

I currently have a LaShon (Lasa Apsa Bichon Frise `designer`cross). She is the BEST dog, so sweet, loving, and funny! She is my fifth dog I`ve had as an adult. Her name is Ruby and everyone loves her because she so obviously loves other people, dogs, other animals. She can be a bit of an escape artist so I`ve had to protect my back yard so she can`t dig under the fence--she just wants to go explore the world around her. She is also very smart, picking up `tricks`easily.

Previous to Ruby, I`ve had mostly rescue dogs, and although they came is `issues` I`m glad to have had them in my life.

My `soul dog` was a rescue dog (from a puppy mill) called Misty, who was a Chesapeak Retriever. She was such a terrified dog when I got her, having been abused, she would hide around anyone else but me (except for my mom and best friend). She was especially scared of men. Around me she was a `normal` dog, playful, loving, sweet natured. She was an old soul and one of the gentlest dogs I ever came across, she never bit, even in play. When she was about five, she suddently came into herself and grew confidence in others and would go to them for affection--finally knowing that people I brought into the home could be trusted and everyone could see what a beautiful soul she was.

She passed suddenly around 10 years of age--she was a stoic dog, and I never knew she was sick. When I took her to the vet, when I noticed she was losing weight and not energetic, I found out she would not survive long at all. She lived only one week more, when I realized she was in pain one night. I am still heartbroken by losing her, but I am ever so grateful to have had her in my life.

Take care dog lovers!!
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My gorgeous 8-year-old Golden Retriever, Sammy Bear, has helped me through so much. The day I got him (my 21st birthday, when he was 11 months old), he became my everything, and I became his. I was dating and later married an abusive man (I was stupid, I know), and I was very isolated, and Sammy was my protector and only friend. He never attacked my ex, but I thought he was going to on numerous occasions when things were getting violent. Since divorcing my ex-husband a year ago, I have had to have some talks with Sam. I had to tell him that I no longer needed him to protect me and that his new daddy (my current boyfriend of about 10 months) would take care of that. I told him he could just relax and enjoy his spoiled life now. And boy, does he ever!! :D
    Along with the boyfriend came a stepbaby in the form of a 4-year-old Chocolate Lab. Her name is Cami, and she's a ball of energy. Sammers was starting to really show his age until we moved in with Brett and Cami. Sam loves his new sister, and he lost 10 pounds from playing with her constantly! He has absolutely reverted to his puppy years. Yes, he has silver hairs all over his once-red face now, but he has the same energy he had when he was two! :)
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    We have a 4-1/2 yr old GoldenDoodle (her father is actually an English Retriever not a Golden Retriever). I always loved my Golden Retriever, but she is 100 times better in every way! Smart, fun, wonderful. We had a cat prior to getting our dog, and sent a towel to the breeder to get Abbie's scent on it, send it back to us and until we brought our doodle home, we put the towel under our cat's food/water dishes. When our dog arrived (3 mos old at 8 lbs), our cat loved her from day 1, Doodle is now 80 lbs and they sleep together, play together...they are sad when they're apart.

Our cat, Fiona, was an injured rescue. She is Siamese-Snowshoe-Calico. She is more like a little dog, has to be involved in everything and likes everyone. She talks alot and is so fun :) (I was never a cat person, but she's great).
  • intika
    intika Posts: 17
    Options
    I have two Pit Bulls, and they are the sweetest dogs ever! I really don't know why people are so afraid of them, i know there have been Pit Bull attacks but that is because people trained them to be that way. Punish the deed not the breed! I got my first dog rutty, from my work. I work at a boarding kennel for dogs and cats, and the owner of my dog just left him for months, then phoned to say that he was going to shoot him because he didn't want him anymore :( So i was very close to rutty by then so we took him home. I just don't know how people could just leave their pet like that and threaten to kill him. I got my second dog Betty from a Pit Bull rescue called Hugabull. She had been in their Kennel for a year with no one wanting her (she is very hyper ) they couldn't keep her much longer. So my husband and i decided to adopt her :) She is the sweetie, all she wants to do is give you kisses lol. I cant imagine my life without my babies :)
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My baby girl is named Bella (yes, I know, but I picked out that name b4 I even knew about the books annd because I always wanted a daughter named Isabella) and she is my little girl. Well I say little haha, she is a 52 lb boxer/pit mix who thinks she's a lapdog. We call her "B", "Beezer", "Bella", she answers to them all. B was dropped off in a shelter in Arkansas by her owner when she was about 2 or 3 (we're not sure of her age) she had heartworm and was in rough shape. A local vet took her in and put her on the heartworm treatment. After getting over that and spending a few months in the vets office a local (NY) rescue brought her up here in hopes of finding her a good home. It's not the best of rescues and she spent most of her days and nights in a crate. A friend of mine then fostered her. But B is a very sensitive dog and didn't like men or boys much and was very scared most of the time.
    I had just had to put my pup down in Jan 08 because he kinda went crazy due to a neurological problem. Now, I am a dog lover and have grown up with dogs, but after putting my 12 year old shepard mix down in June 07 and then getting Salem in July o7 and then putting him down in 08, I vowed that I didn't want another dog. I couldn't handle it.
    My friend, Bella's foster mom, decided one night in Feb 08 that after all I'd been through, I needed a "doggie visit". She brought Bella over for a visit and I fell in love!!
    The first 3 nights I had Bella she sat at the window waiting for my friend to come back and get her. Since then ( over the years) she has come out of her shell and loves everyone, even men and well, I say she saved me, not the other way around.
    I can't imagine life without her!!! She is my sweet girl and has probably helped me more than I've helped her!!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We have three dogs, two outside and one indoors. Lilly is our indoor dog. She is a 2 year old Cockapoo. Super spoiled and lazy. I work days and my husband works second shift. She stays in bed with both of us. She has her own doggy door with a fenced-in area so she can go out whenever she wants. She pretty much rules the house. We have a Newfoundland named Buddy. Not sure how old he is. He showed up at the house one day and just stayed. He is sooo goofy it's not even funny. He weighs about 110 pounds. Our third dog is a shepard husky mix. He's 9 years old. He was abandoned in town when he was just a puppy outside of a restaurant. He followed our daughter all the way to the door. The waitress told us he had been hanging out there a few days and that they were going to have to take him to the shelter, so we left the restaurant that day with a puppy named Bingo.

On a side note, my parents have a 2 year old Maltese who is litter box trained. She's so spoiled, she gets ice water and a treat every time she poops in her litter box.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My baby girl is named Bella (yes, I know, but I picked out that name b4 I even knew about the books annd because I always wanted a daughter named Isabella) and she is my little girl.

My oldest daughter is Isabella and we call her Bella!
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have 2 chihuahua mix doggies. Killer is the oldest. 3 1/2 years old. He's chihuahua/jack russell. Or I call him A Chewy Russell... or a jackhuahua. lol.
    He's 9.5 pounds. I named him to be ironic... but I've seen him chase off a stray pitt that wandered into the front yard like he was bigger than them. (Please don't think that I encourage this, he has a habbit of smeaking out the door when you go out.)
    I couldn't imagine life without my Killer, attitude and all! He definately has a personality. When he goes outside he ALWAYS expects a treat afterwards. He doesn't always get it, but he sure looks for one! lol.
    He is also addicted to a laser light. If you ever pick up something similar looking to one he starts looking for the light.

Funny story with Killer,
    I went to a buffet a couple years ago and I had cookies that I got too full to eat, so I had them in my purse. After I got home I put my purse down on the couch, later I came back and was looking through the purse for these cookies. These were HUGE cookies, and I searched my purse 3 times for them. They were just gone, napkin and all!
    Shortly later Killer ran in from the doggie door and jumped up on my lap and burped in my face as loud as a man! Guess what? It smelled like pure chocolate chip cookies! I am so glad my dog is not allergic to chocolate!

My other doggie is Monster. He'll be 2 on April 10th. He's chihuahua, pomeranian, ****zu mix. He looks mainly chihuahua though.
    He weighs 4 1/2 pounds soaking wet! That dog is soooo spoiled. He usually gets what he wants, when he wants.
    He's VERY aggressive with other male dogs, I'm hoping getting him nuetered will slow that down. The dog thinks he is 10 foot tall and bulletproof!
    He's a lap baby for sure. And you HAVE to be careful when going out the front door, because that dog runs FAST and it's about like trying to catch a squirrel if he gets out. I've chased him for over an hour (Can you say workout?)
    He loves stuffed animals, chicken jerky treats, going for walks, and LOVES LOVES going for rides.

I just took Monster for a ride this morning actually. Not sure how much he is going to appreciate that though. I took him to the vet to get nuetered, to get his 7in1, and get his rabies shot. I pick him up in two hours.
    I figure he will probably not want to go for another ride for a while....
  • tsornoza
    tsornoza Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a Yorkie. She is 2 yrs old. She is the love of my life. Her name is Hope. She was born on 9/11/09.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I have a black lab male, Gauge, who will be thirteen in april. He is our family dog and we've had him since I was 9. His profession in his prime was master hunter of pretty much any game bird, but his hips have been going for quite some time and he retired about 3 years ago.

I have a two year old yellow lab female, Bella (short for Cabella) who was supposed to be my dads replacement hunter, but haha dad, she is afraid of water, so she is my baby. She is a rude, annoying little *****, but she is my baby girl and I love her like she came out of me.

The picture i have for my profile is my neice, but my sister is into drugs so i take care of her most of the time. Her name is Alizay, she will be 4 this june. Her mom was a pit/boxer mix and the dad was supposedly pure blue pit, but I doubt that very much. The people who had the puppies werent even able to take care of their own children, let alone a mamma and her 14 pups. They intentionally tried to get her knocked up anyways probably to sell them and try to make money, but since they werent papered or pure bred that didn't exactly work out for them. Needless to say, they were horribly neglected and underfed. When my sister got Alizay she was already scared and neurotic, but the inconsistent lifestyle that my sister leads has made that even worse. :frown: Just like a child, It's so hard to see her suffer because of her moms actions, so I do my best to be there for her and provide the most stable environment I can.
  • Missy169
    Options
    I have 3 as well ...lets see first there is Bubbles I got her first on Valentines Day last year she is a one year old fawn Boxer she is very hyper and came with health problems but love her to death and there IS Roxy we got her about 3 week after we got Bubbles & she is half Rottie & half Black & Tan Coonhound she is a rescue dog and she is my lover dog and last but not least there is Odie we got him about 4 weeks after we got Roxy he is a Brindle Boxer and he is my laid back mellow dog that thinks he is a lap dog !!! So yes in a matter of 6 weeks I went from having no dogs to having 3 and they we puppies to all around 15 weeks old too. Potty training wasnt very fun at all !!! but they all are a year old now !!!! and Bubbles is still a spaz ...lol...Roxy is still a lover dog and Odie is still lay back dog !!!!
  • NatashaK29
    Options
    Hi Panzera, first I'd like to wish you luck with your goal of the K-9 unit. That's a wonderful goal to have!

My oldest, Nanook, is 5 & a Siberia Husky/ Black Lab mix. She is such a princess. Hates getting wet but loves the snow... go figure. She loves posing for pictures and people. My husband got her when we first started dating so I trained her and though she belongs to him, she's my lil lady. My favorite thing about her is how intelligent she is. I have always talked to her like my best friend and I swear she understands. Most of the time we don't even have to give her verbal commands, she knows the signal for what we want her to do. Nanook is very graceful as well, love watching her prance around or leap like a gazelle.

Jeffrey is a 15 month old Rednosed American Pit Bull Terrier. He is the most loving and cuddly dog I have ever meet. My husband got him for me last year and I thank him everyday. He is very strong and active but listens like a dream. Like Nanook, he is also very intelligent, learning very quickly and he really aims to please. My favorite thing about him is his calm nature. He has changed many ppls views on the breed (since they are given such a bad rap). As a side note, we've had him around little children, as well as our boys and other dogs of all different sizes and have never had a problem. He let's them hang all over him, fall on him, tug on his ears & he loves it!