First time at the gym

Options
I usually do my work outs at home like walking or my dvds well, yesterday we signed up to a gym membership. Today was my first day at the gym. I did 30 mins on the elliptical and burned 208 cal. It has been a while since I have done a good work out because I haven't been feeling to well. Well, I thought I did pretty good & my face was all red after I got off. I was trying to cool down and as I was looking around I didn't see many people like really getting sweaty like I was or at least their face did look as red like mine. I felt a little embarrassed I don't know why lol. But I guess as I keep going I wont be sweating as bad just doing 30 mins on there and I will be able to go faster and do more or even go longer. But when you first start working out did you sometimes feel embarrassed about working out or felt what if am not doing it right or what not. I had my music with me to keep me going and to try to clear my thoughts out of my head and just focus on me but, I was just wondering what some people think while their at the gym. I know were all different and we all have our own speed and rate we go but, just a thought...hmmm?

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I listen to my music and think about all the food I'm going to eat for the day....LOL
  • mbond6
    mbond6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i have the same issues at the gym, i always feel self conscience, i seem to get redder, sweat more and need more breaks than everyone around me. I usually avoid the gym for that reason, I wish i could get over that and feel comfortable.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I spend my time thinking about if my heart rate is high enough, how my body is feeling, what exercise I'm going to do next, what my breathing is like, etc.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to what anyone else is doing. I go, workout, and go home. I don't notice if other people are sweating or whatever. I'm so focused on doing my own thing - I don't notice (or care) about everyone else. :)
  • leftwondering
    Options
    Oh I sweat loads at the gym, and its usually dripping down my face... I just tend to ignore people around me and just concentrate on myself and what I'm doing. When I start to look around and notice people I get really anxious and paranoid like they might be watching me. I just tend to go into my own little bubble and don't focus or notice other people its better that way for me.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I still get embarrassed... And I've been doing the gym thing 5 days a week since last spring. I have super fair skin, and my face gets so rosy red! Focus on you. Don't pay attention to anyone else around you. And good music. That's how I deal. :wink:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't worry about it. If they are there for the right reasons, they aren't paying attention to you sweating. They are worried about themselves. When I'm working out, I don't have time to criticize other people.
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Where I go to the gym, the room is full of MIRRORS and I hate it. I won't even look up at myself when I'm taking a class. It's almost enough to make me not go; however, I have learned that everyone is so self-consumed with their own workouts that they don't notice my inadequacies.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to get pink and sweaty and gross within about 20 minutes. Now I still get that way, but not for at least an hour. I take looking a mess as a sign that I've worked my body harder than the people around me who never seem to show an ounce of exertion. It's not that I stopped caring, I just started to care in a way that made me feel good about myself.

That said, every so often I catch myself lip-synching along with my iPod. *That* still embarrasses me a little. But I love music, so it doesn't embarrass me enough to leave my iPod at home. :)
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    To me my red face and sweaty body show myself and others how hard I actually worked out. It shows I am fighting for this with all that I am. I get upset if I don't leave the gym sweaty and looking like I ran a marathon. :smile:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I feel self conscious so I usually go when no one else is there. Luckily I live right next to my gym and I can look out my window and see if any cars are in the parking lot.
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for many moons and my face still gets red and I still sweat. That is me and how my body responds to exercise. Really in my own little world when I work out and not worried to much what other people think.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do a forum search for people at the gym or something along those lines and you'll see what people think at the gym.. Be warned though that it should be taken with a grain a salt and none of it is meant to be taken seriously.

When I'm at the gym though, I'm thinking about how much longer, am I doing this right, what machine am I doing next(weight training days) how much longer I have, where is my heart rate etc.. the list goes on and on.

When I'm with my trainer at the gym, I'm thinking crap.. no more.. I cannot do one more row/lat pull down/bicep curl/chest press/whatever the hell he's having me do that day. I will die if I do one more... so don't even think about pushing it buster!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Listen - I sweat buckets @ the gym..and have a sweat towel with me for every workout....IMHO..if your are not sweating, you should be..I am there to work my butt off......and the only reason I may look at other people is to be nosy and see what excercises they might be doing for myself as I am always adding new things to my workouts....
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I sweat loads, and look the least attractive I could ever possibly hope to look during/after a workout, but I usually feel fantastic physically afterwards so I don't care what people think about how I look. Before I usually get nervous about what people will think, but once I get into it I don't care. I'm gonna do what I can do, and I wear black - better at disguising how sweaty I really am.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    They are probably just thinking "Damn, she's got a good burn going!"
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If I do cardio - elliptical or run - I sweat a LOT and it soaks part of my clothes and hair. I get red in the face, I don't care - I think it looks healthy. I love the feeling of sweat dripping down my face... tells me I'm working hard :flowerforyou:
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    oh my, yes i was totally embarrassed my first week. esp that first day! i had never been to a gym to work-out, so i didn't know what half the machines did! i felt like everyone was staring at me (they weren't) and i just felt so overwhelmed and intimidated by the equipment. everyone has been so nice, both employees and other guests, if i have a question, i always ask. i might feel dumb for asking, but at least i can get it right for next time. i don't pay attention to others and i assume no one pays attention to me either. i put on my headphones and i'm the only one in the gym. :smile:
  • mrsgolfie
    mrsgolfie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what other people think. I use my ipod when I went to the gym (which I used to 6 times a week) and just put my ipod on and went for it. When I first started I did probably 20 minutes,then some weights, and then on machine again for little bit.
    After awhile I did 30 minutes first at varied speeds, then did 30 minutes on weight machines, the 30 minutes again on elipitcal. I always just keep my ipod in and don't bother with anyone else. I wear tight leggin with a big baggy shirt, so can't really notice my size and I figure so what if people do because that is what I'm here for!
    Just enjoy and don't bother looking around much,:smile::smile: enjoy your music and think of how many calories you are burning!
    Good luck to you!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    i sweat tons, even on the treadmill. Someone posted about this not too long ago and I remember someone saying that the gym is the only place that you can be sweaty and smelly and people think you're awesome! (I can't remember who it was, but it helped me get over my self-conciousness while at the gym).

Also, if you really look around, you will notice that most of the 'really sweaty' people are the ones that are working out he hardest! Just remember that sweating is a good thing!