Eat more...scared

Options
So I've been reading alot of posts about eating more than 1200 calorie diet if you only need to lose 10-15lbs and making sure you eat your exercise calories back. I have to tell you I'm scared to death to do this. In my experience, I don't lose unless I exercise without eating the calories back. I'm down about 21lbs right now and still have at least 10-15 more to go before I'll be "happy" with the results. I'm still on a 1200 calorie diet and the weight loss has stalled the last two weeks. Although admitedly I've not been very dilligent about eating "clean" and ocassionally enjoy a glass of wine at night. I figured it was my poor choices make the weight stall. Now I'm not sure. I've still stayed within my calorie range without eating my exercise calories back. I'm thinking about upping my daily calorie goal but, quite frankly, I'm scared to death I will gain the weight back!!!

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing isn't working, why would you be afraid to try something different?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you are really that scared to eat more, i think you should speak to your doctor about your relationship with food... being scared to nourish your body is not good and not healthy for you.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just changing things up a bit will get you past a plateau, at first just try 100-200 more calories a day, just make sure it's healthy food.. a handful of nuts, etc. You could also try changing up your exercise, try something new that challenges your body differently.. I started doing Zumba when I got bored with the gym and I love it! Up your water intake and make sure you're taking in at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces (i.e. 150 lbs = 75 ounces or just under 10 cups). Cleaning up your diet could also help, your body may be holding onto processed foods, remember that anything created in lab won't be recognized by your body as food! Hope this helps
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    21 lbs is 73,500 calories.

That's a LOT of eating to gain that back. We're talking a Big Mac every day for four months straight!

If you're eating at 1200 now why not bump it up to 1500 for just one week. That's only 2100 calories extra over the course of the week - less than one pound in potential weight gain. See what happens... you might kickstart your weight loss again, you might have more energy... you certainly won't gain 21 lbs back - it's mathematically impossible.

If you weigh in next week and you've put half a pound or a pound back on, then you'll know it wasn't for you and you can drop the cals again.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm scared because I worked hard to get the weight off. I don't want to put it back on. I know you can' tell by my original post but I definitely do have have an unhealthy relationship to food! I love it too much!! lol I am finally feeling good about myself and don't want to go back to feeling like that. I know i haven't been making the best choices lately and I know thats part of my "platteau". Thanks for the input!!
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    21 lbs is 73,500 calories.

That's a LOT of eating to gain that back. We're talking a Big Mac every day for four months straight!

If you're eating at 1200 now why not bump it up to 1500 for just one week. That's only 2100 calories extra over the course of the week - less than one pound in potential weight gain. See what happens... you might kickstart your weight loss again, you might have more energy... you certainly won't gain 21 lbs back - it's mathematically impossible.

If you weigh in next week and you've put half a pound or a pound back on, then you'll know it wasn't for you and you can drop the cals again.

Thanks for breaking it down for me. I never thought of it like that. I am going to try this starting today!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Thanks. I'm scared because I worked hard to get the weight off. I don't want to put it back on. I know you can' tell by my original post but I definitely do have have an unhealthy relationship to food! I love it too much!! lol I am finally feeling good about myself and don't want to go back to feeling like that. I know i haven't been making the best choices lately and I know thats part of my "platteau". Thanks for the input!!

If you get accustomed to a 1200 calorie diet, then any increase is going to lead to weight gain.

People need to stop fixating on calorie numbers. The least important factors in weight loss are calorie count and exercise. The most important are quality of the diet. You have to eat foods that are produced naturally. If cavemen didn't eat it, then you shouldn't eat it. That is how you lose weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you get accustomed to a 1200 calorie diet, then any increase is going to lead to weight gain.

People need to stop fixating on calorie numbers. The least important factors in weight loss are calorie count and exercise. The most important are quality of the diet. You have to eat foods that are produced naturally. If cavemen didn't eat it, then you shouldn't eat it. That is how you lose weight.

How have millions of other people lost weight by counting calories?
    Cavemen did not need to count calories, most weren't lucky enough to have too much food. It was still calories in vs calories out. They had less reliable access to food and worked a whole lot harder than we do. You can still get fat eating the same things a caveman ate.
  • grinch031
    Options

Cavemen did not need to count calories, most weren't lucky enough to have too much food. It was still calories in vs calories out. They had less reliable access to food and worked a whole lot harder than we do. You can still get fat eating the same things a caveman ate.

Couple ways to look at your question. Its true that counting calories will temporarily lose weight. But if you don't do it forever, you will eventually regain the weight. So why do it if its only temporary? If you need to lose weight for a boxing weigh-in or just to look your best at the beach, it makes sense. But its a temporary solution either way.

I think the cavemen point is to show that you should eat the foods that humans were designed to eat. Cut out the food products that were invented by humans and you have a healthier metabolic system that requires less manual intervention. By that your body will regulate itself without becoming obese.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Not true at all. If her daily calorie intake remains lower than her expenditure she will lose weight.

You can eat paleo and still gain weight if your calorie intake exceeds your expenditure. It's just a game of numbers. The only reason paleo diets work is because it's harder to consume surplus calories because the foods you're eating aren't as energy dense. You're still playing the numbers, you just don't know it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Couple ways to look at your question. Its true that counting calories will temporarily lose weight. But if you don't do it forever, you will eventually regain the weight. So why do it if its only temporary? If you need to lose weight for a boxing weigh-in or just to look your best at the beach, it makes sense. But its a temporary solution either way.

I think the cavemen point is to show that you should eat the foods that humans were designed to eat. Cut out the food products that were invented by humans and you have a healthier metabolic system that requires less manual intervention. By that your body will regulate itself without becoming obese.

I don't agree that eating "clean" is the solution to weight loss alone. Yes, I have cut out the majority of processed food myself.

My opinion, which is just that, my opinion, is that we eat far too much and are far too inactive. Most people have no clue how much they really eat and way overestimate how hard they work. Counting calories teaches us proper portion sizes and what a healthy amount of food is. Counting exercise calories shows us how much work we are and aren't doing. I don't believe it has to be a constant, forever thing. You are right though, counting calories alone won't be successful long term unless we learn from it and change our relationship to food.
    I still believe calories in vs calories out. It is a little more complicated when trying to lose weight, but essentially that is what it comes down to. If you eat to much, natural food or not, you will gain weight.
  • grinch031
    Options

Not true at all. If her daily calorie intake remains lower than her expenditure she will lose weight.

You can eat paleo and still gain weight if your calorie intake exceeds your expenditure. It's just a game of numbers. The only reason paleo diets work is because it's harder to consume surplus calories because the foods you're eating aren't as energy dense. You're still playing the numbers, you just don't know it.

But if you are losing weight on 1200 calories, your body will eventually adapt and your metabolism will slow down, especially when hitting a lean state. At some point the goal weight is reached and the diet ends. Then what? Increase calories or stay at 1200 for life? Point is in most cases the balance will swing in the other direction and weight will come back.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but a paleo diet is better than a calorie restricted one because your body is much better at regulating your calorie consumption to what it needs without leading to a positive energy balance. A paleo diet is simply more fulfilling than a food pyramid type diet because of its higher content of fat and protein.
  • grinch031
    Options

I don't agree that eating "clean" is the solution to weight loss alone. Yes, I have cut out the majority of processed food myself.

My opinion, which is just that, my opinion, is that we eat far too much and are far too inactive. Most people have no clue how much they really eat and way overestimate how hard they work. Counting calories teaches us proper portion sizes and what a healthy amount of food is. Counting exercise calories shows us how much work we are and aren't doing. I don't believe it has to be a constant, forever thing. You are right though, counting calories alone won't be successful long term unless we learn from it and change our relationship to food.
    I still believe calories in vs calories out. It is a little more complicated when trying to lose weight, but essentially that is what it comes down to. If you eat to much, natural food or not, you will gain weight.

Where we differ is the reason for overeating. You think its psychological, I say its physiological. I think that any diet that requires me to restrict portions (ie. starve myself) is a diet I am doomed to fail because my body is relentless at telling me how much food it wants. Magically when I cut out carbs (mainly wheat products) and eat more natural, I don't need to restrict my portions as long as they are on the 'free to eat' list, and somehow I still lose weight without even thinking about calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Where we differ is the reason for overeating. You think its psychological, I say its physiological. I think that any diet that requires me to restrict portions (ie. starve myself) is a diet I am doomed to fail because my body is relentless at telling me how much food it wants. Magically when I cut out carbs (mainly wheat products) and eat more natural, I don't need to restrict my portions as long as they are on the 'free to eat' list, and somehow I still lose weight without even thinking about calories.

I don't feel counting calories necessarily means starving myself or restricting portions. I have learned to make better selections that keep me satiated without having an enormous calories intake.
  • rawardle
    rawardle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would definitely increase your calories a bit. 1200 calories is simply not enough and if that is all you are eating your body can go into starvation mode and hold onto calories causing the plataeu.
  • grinch031
    Options

I don't feel counting calories necessarily means starving myself or restricting portions. I have learned to make better selections that keep me satiated without having an enormous calories intake.

So we're not completely on different pages. I learned a hard lesson that quality beats quantity. I used to consume 3500-4000 calories a day of pure garbage (pizza, pasta, desserts, sandwiches) and still go hungry (of course I was running 6-8 miles those days), but now I can eat ~2500 natural foods of mostly fat and protein and I'm fine. And the 2500 doesn't require any manual regulation, it takes care of itself. That's a lot compared to people here, but i'm also training for a marathon.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    had this discussion with my dr today. I am 16lbs from goal. She said to drop my cals to 1100 for 3 -5 days then back to the 1200. Now..I know this is going to catch grief....but she said to do the opposite that everyone always says (upping). Im going to try it a few days this week...but not consecutive.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am on my last 10ish pounds. I haven't lost much in forever, so I did up my calories from 1400 to 1500 a few days ago and I lost .4 pounds the first day, and another .2 this morning that I didn't log. I really don't think of it as coincidence, since my scaled hasn't budged in a few weeks!
  • I dropped 5 pounds within a week and a half of upping my cals by just 190 cals. I also always eat my exercise cals back. Good luck!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    had this discussion with my dr today. I am 16lbs from goal. She said to drop my cals to 1100 for 3 -5 days then back to the 1200. Now..I know this is going to catch grief....but she said to do the opposite that everyone always says (upping). Im going to try it a few days this week...but not consecutive.

Interesting, thank you for saying that. I am on a 1260 calorie plan, and I haven't been losing weight for a long time. I think I will try one week at both a bigger deficit, and one week eating a couple of extra hundred calories, and see what happens.