I think I'm pregnant! What will happen ??

Options

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Not only your dr, but ask that he/she refer you to a dietician. They can set up an eating plan for you for the 9 months, test your early for things like GD or other medical issues you have and address it before you have problems arise.
  • mdejoseph
    mdejoseph Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely discuss this with your ob/gyn. First of all you need to understand that being pregnant means your body now needs MORE calories in order to maintain your weight. Whatever your caloric deficit is to make you lose weight RIGHT NOW will be FAR too much. Your body is starting to work VERY hard right now. Making a new life means it needs more calories to do that work. You do not want to deprive your body of those nutrients. Eat HEALTHY foods, moderate what you eat to ensure you are getting adequate carbs and proteins. Drink a lot of water. Expect to gain weight. That baby in there will only add on about 15-20lbs of pure baby. As long as you're in that range after you have the baby your body will bounce back.

Don't try to exercise and diet like you're on a mission. Do try to ensure you eat healthy choices (allow yourself that indulgence if you need it but try to limit that!) and keep a healthy exercise routine. There is nothing wrong with eating healthy and exercising preggo *if your doc gives you the green light*. Just make sure you aren't inadvertantly neglecting that baby for the sake of your own body image. Make it about health :o) And get yourself some prental vitamins ASAP, they are OTC.

All IMHO :o)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You will have another deduction on your taxes...WOOHOO!
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor once you get a positive test.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would not look up on the internet what I should do while being the primary means of care for another person. Please go see your Dr/dietician. There's many things that we may not know.. i.e. family medical history.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Like most everyone else said, ask your doctor! Meanwhile, there's a great group of ladies here on the forums that have ongoing threads for the preggo members who want to stay fit through pregnancy. It's called 'Fit Fabulous & Pregnant or something like that - you'll find it if you search the forums for 'pregnant'.

And early congrats - when do you think you will test?
  • mdejoseph
    mdejoseph Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    An addendum to the below, I have gained under recommended amounts while preggo (under my doctors care and after discussing it with them) but I had to be careful I was getting adequate nutrition. And at my weight I did chair aerobics for the beginning of my pregnancy and plenty of walking. It's not BAD to gain baby weight and lose SOME body weight. But it's definitely BEST to discuss all this with your doctor. In the meantime, be careful but follow your bodies queues. If you crave a banana you may need potassium. Be mindful and listen :o)
    Definitely discuss this with your ob/gyn. First of all you need to understand that being pregnant means your body now needs MORE calories in order to maintain your weight. Whatever your caloric deficit is to make you lose weight RIGHT NOW will be FAR too much. Your body is starting to work VERY hard right now. Making a new life means it needs more calories to do that work. You do not want to deprive your body of those nutrients. Eat HEALTHY foods, moderate what you eat to ensure you are getting adequate carbs and proteins. Drink a lot of water. Expect to gain weight. That baby in there will only add on about 15-20lbs of pure baby. As long as you're in that range after you have the baby your body will bounce back.

Don't try to exercise and diet like you're on a mission. Do try to ensure you eat healthy choices (allow yourself that indulgence if you need it but try to limit that!) and keep a healthy exercise routine. There is nothing wrong with eating healthy and exercising preggo *if your doc gives you the green light*. Just make sure you aren't inadvertantly neglecting that baby for the sake of your own body image. Make it about health :o) And get yourself some prental vitamins ASAP, they are OTC.

All IMHO :o)
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    First, take a test.
    Second, if it's positive....You are growing another person. Think about that for a minute.... Then ask your docotor!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    First - Pee on a stick
    Second - Find a midwife that does homebirths because OBs are a pain in the gut.
    Third - Read Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth.
    Fourth - Don't be stupid and eat a ton of **** while pregnant and gain 100lbs.
    I had a fantastic OB and if I had done a home birth, I would be dead.

But that's great advice. :-)
  • knielsen85
    knielsen85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just had a baby in sept - don't diet while preg for the first trimester u will probably have morning sickness or even food aversion ( I hated the smell of everything) I ate exactly the same except added more fruits and veggies and stayed away from fast food just think about giving the best nutrition to your baby instead of thinking of calories. I kept up my workout routine ( doctors usually say you can do workouts you were doing before preg, but don't try anything new) I didn't gain a pound until I was well into my second trimester.. My advise is just focus on nutrition, and just visualize your baby eating what your eating an then choosing fruit instead of fries becomes alot easier, and also I'm not say I was perfect I totally used the "I'm pregnant" to have a donut or ice cream, but I didn't do it every day..** losing weight releases toxins from fat cells.. So you do not want to lose weight. Good luck and pregnancy weight is beautiful love it your creating life, and you baby loves all that extra snuggle room, it keeps him warm!

I gain 40 lost the first 10 in the hospital and the next 10 just melted off, good luck congrats
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I recently found out i was pregnant...my first advice is keep exercising! it is so good for your baby and your body will thank you in 9 months! Also I bumped my calories up to maintain and when i go to my doctor next friday i will check with her to make sure it is okay. I suggest maybe doing the same until you find out for sure if you are pregnant. Good luck to you ;)
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    First - Pee on a stick
    Second - Find a midwife that does homebirths because OBs are a pain in the gut.
    Third - Read Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth.
    Fourth - Don't be stupid and eat a ton of **** while pregnant and gain 100lbs.

Most of the above. Go to the DollarTree or Wal-Mart or wherever, and pick up a pregancy test. If you've been having what you think are symptoms for at least a week now, you're far enough most likely to pee on a stick and see lines. If there are 2 lines...

You can have a great birth with a midwife in a birth center or hospital, too (with a doula!) so don't let homebirth scare you out of using a midwife. I wholeheartedly agree that OBs (in general) are a pain in the gut (but there are a few gems out there too). Do your research and choose a practitioner that jives with your pregnancy and birthing philosophies. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

READ THAT BOOK. And anything written by Ina May Gaskin. She's AMAZING. (if you have questions about pregnancy/birth specific things, feel free to PM me. If I don't have the answer, you better believe I'll find it!)

As for the eating comment...I was 270lbs when I got pregnant with my son. My midwife told me to stay the F off a scale, that my weight gain alone would not indicate issues or possible issues with my pregnancy. It could not be relied upon as the sole predictor of gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, large baby, or whatever other reasons OB's find and dig for and create to force early labor or c-section. That she would look for other factors that together, could indicate a problem if those factors are out of range (blood pressure, urine tests at each visit, baby measurements, baby heartbeat, my pulse, overall look of health, etc).

Focus on eating healthfully and making a healthy baby. Any birth practitioner (OB or Midwife) worth their weight in salt will give you guidelines that indicate benchmarks to aim for with specific nutrients (such as iron, calcium, protein, etc) and the sources of those (lean red meats, dairy and dark leafy greens, lean meats beans and legumes, etc). They will encourage whole-food eating. They will encourage gradual weight gain being healthy for both mom and baby. If you don't feed yourself and baby properly during pregnancy, your body will sacrifice itself and break it down to get the baby what it needs first, meaning you'll lose muscle, fat, and bone. Keep in mind - you create fat stores through pregnancy to make milk soon after birth and to fuel those immediate, back-to-back growth spurts for the first 9wks or so.

Unless you encounter complications that prohibit certain or all activity, maintaining your active lifestyle will be encouraged and will go a LONG way toward making your pregnancy as comfortable and healthy as possible, not to mention making birth easier on your body.

If you are pregnant, CONGRATULATIONS! If you have questions about birth choices or about midwives and doulas, please don't hesitate to PM me :)
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Unless there is something super special about your current health, your doc, dietician or midwife will provide you with the same generic info all pregnant women get. If you are in the healthy BMI range (which you stated you are), then you should gain 25-35 lbs in pregnancy. Typically most of that gain will take place in your 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Some women may loose weight in their 1st trimester due to food aversions and morning sickness. If you can't keep anything down for 24 hours you should go to the ER, if you are loosing weight rapidly you should also seek medical help urgently to control your symptoms. You should not attempt to loose weight in pregnancy unless you are severly overweight an under the supervision of a healthcare provider. In your first trimester you should eat your maintenance calories plus a possible extra 100 cals, in your 2nd and third you should eat maintenance + 300 calories. If you exercise a lot you should attempt eat the majority of those calories too. There is nothing wrong with healthy women with no risk factors exercising in pregnancy. The most important thing right now is to either take a folic acid supplement or a prenatal vitamin with Folic Acid.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Start taking prenatal vitamins, if you aren't already. And you definitely need to up your calories. The importance of eating enough during pregnancy: http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=654
  • eurynam
    eurynam Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi!

Actually I was talking about the mother (overweight or obese), not the baby. This information actually comes from my doctor. When my husband an I planned on having a kid I went to see my doctor (in july 2011). I made some test to make sure that I was healthy (blood, urine etc) and "good to go".

My doctor told me some advice about pregnancy (like vitamins etc.) and also weight gain. He told me that pregnancy is not a reason to eat whatever, whenever and that I should keep my weight under control (gain between 25-30 lb only... because over that, the rest would unnecessary fat). He also told me the story of another patient that was obese.That patient actually lost weight during the pregnancy (like 20 lb overall!) because she began to eat healty, exercice (walking mostly) and he told me it was a good thing for her (lower arterial pressure, less back pain etc.) and the baby turned fine (7,5 lb healthy baby).

So, with my first priority being to have a healthy baby, I was wondering if my new habits were incompatible with that...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    You need to take a pregnancy test, then schedule something with your doctor if you are pregnant.
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    Hi!

Actually I was talking about the mother (overweight or obese), not the baby. This information actually comes from my doctor. When my husband an I planned on having a kid I went to see my doctor (in july 2011). I made some test to make sure that I was healthy (blood, urine etc) and "good to go".

My doctor told me some advice about pregnancy (like vitamins etc.) and also weight gain. He told me that pregnancy is not a reason to eat whatever, whenever and that I should keep my weight under control (gain between 25-30 lb only... because over that, the rest would unnecessary fat). He also told me the story of another patient that was obese.That patient actually lost weight during the pregnancy (like 20 lb overall!) because she began to eat healty, exercice (walking mostly) and he told me it was a good thing for her (lower arterial pressure, less back pain etc.) and the baby turned fine (7,5 lb healthy baby).

So, with my first priority being to have a healthy baby, I was wondering if my new habits were incompatible with that...

As far as the exercise - very compatible! Unless you encounter complications that would restrict intensity or types of exercise, you should be fine continuing down the path of an active lifestyle while pregnant and it's very healthy for both you and baby :) And it'll go a long way in making birthing easier, too.

As for eating, you're definitely going to want to reach a maintenance point on calories at the very minimum as soon as you find out you're pregnant. One thing I wish this site accounted for when figuring goals is whether a woman is pregnant and/or breastfeeding, because those factors affect caloric need GREATLY. Since you're at a healthy BMI, there's -0- need for you to lose any weight during your pregnancy, and I'd hazard a guess that if you don't gain anything through the whole pregnancy either, you're malnourishing your baby, which will become evident at your regular check-ups. Definitely check with your doctor, and if you've got specific concerns or would like additional details, ask that they help you schedule an appt with the office's nutritionist. Most OB offices work with one for patients with Gestational Diabetes. If you choose to work with a midwife, they're generally a lot more holistically-minded, meaning they're looking for total health, not just some number on a scale or something.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You can definitely continue to eat healthy and exercise. In the beginning, you should be able to exercise at the same intensity that you had been doing. As you get bigger/heavier, some exercises might be difficult because of the high weight, and also the difference in center of gravity. You just listen to your body, and don't over do it.

Every doctor is different. My doctor was pretty strict, and wanted me to only gain 25 lbs for both pregnancies. When I had a large gain in one month, then he asked me what I am eating and told me to eat better. I started out at 110lbs and 108lbs for the two pregnancies, and ended at 140lbs and 142lbs. So both times, I went over what he wanted, but both times I lost all the weight afterward (took longer after the 2nd). Some of my friends' doctors, on the other hand, didn't even mention a thing about how much weight to gain.
  • eurynam
    eurynam Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for your response! As soon as have the confirmation (positive test) I will discuss that with my doctor.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying, OP. With a BMI of 24, you're not obese ... so please check in with your doctor about what your caloric needs are during pregnancy.