For those of you without an HRM

Options
For those of you without an HRM, how do you track your calories burned? Purchasing an HRM isn't really an option for me right now, but I feel that this site overestimates how many calories I burned.

Replies

• Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I know you run, I use a calculation for mine. It's body weight multiplied by 0.63 = calories burned for one mile. I'd be interested to hear what others say.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I use a garmin and I noticed that MFP under estimates everything my garmin says.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I know you run, I use a calculation for mine. It's body weight multiplied by 0.63 = calories burned for one mile. I'd be interested to hear what others say.

Body weight in which measurement?
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think this site over estimates as well so I just make sure I stay under my original calories and not use my workout caloires....I figure I'm still in calorie deficit mode and I've lost 12 lbs since the 1st. So I think it's working!
  • Platnex
    Platnex Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Android app to track my distance traveled, cross check it with a math formula here and online and get the average.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I assume about 2/3 of what mfp suggests I've burned. This seems reasonable to me, most of the time. That said, using the 'per mile' based calculation someone mentioned above, I'd say mfp is pretty accurate for its distance based logging. So if you're running, and now how far you've gone, the mfp estimate is ok.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    (Oh and most people agree it underestimates for weight lifting....)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options

^Never heard of this, but that actually is close to my HRM reading!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I just go by what MFP says. I only eat back about 100-200 of the calories burnt to account for any discrepancies. I try to be extremely accurate with food and just listen to my body after exercise in case I need a bit more. There are other websites that use a formula to work it out but again that is going to be out sometimes.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    >=| I caved and bought a HRM tonight....I suck at trying to calculate, and I don't trust the machines...!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have compared the machines versus this site versus my hrm. The machines are WAY over estimated. My hrm is only off by what this site says by less than 10 calories. I have always heard that if you run for one mile, you can average a burn of about 100 calories.
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    For those of you without an HRM, how do you track your calories burned? Purchasing an HRM isn't really an option for me right now, but I feel that this site overestimates how many calories I burned.

I feel like it overestimates too. I figure I will just go and get one this weekend. No I don't have alot of money, but I'm thinking of all the times I spent money on junk and never once questioned it. I just don't know which one is best.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Using pounds, that's pretty close to my Garmin's readings. Nice!
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use my Bodymedia Fit! However, before my BMF I used the MFP calculations.
  • Shriffee
    Options
    In pounds. I googled it when I did it and I never thought of anything but pounds.... How western of me. LOL
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I feel like it overestimates too. I figure I will just go and get one this weekend. No I don't have alot of money, but I'm thinking of all the times I spent money on junk and never once questioned it. I just don't know which one is best.

Go with the Polar ft4. I Have talked to a lot of people that have one and they all love it. That will be my next big purchase.
  • trudemeanor
    trudemeanor Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For right now I just use MFP I know it probably overestimates the amount of calories burned. So I try not to eat back the calories (although I often fall short of this). Eventually I plan on investing in a hrm.
  • Shriffee
    Options
    Glad to know my calculation is pretty accurate!
  • Shriffee
    Options
    CocoaBeautiful, soooo true!