Diary is open, what suggestions can you offer?

Options
2»

Replies

• SlimStacey74
    SlimStacey74 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As far as the chocolates, I always make sure to have 2 Dove dark chocolates every night when I come home from work in the evening. This is my little sweet treat to myself ( I keep them in the freezer, so they are cold and crunchy..soo good!) You can have 2 for 58 cals :) feel free to check out my food diary for some dinner ideas. Good luck :)
  • AimeeCofer
    Options
    I made this for dinner- Shrimp and Black Bean Quinoa Protein Bowl... it was amazing!! LOTS of protein and healthy fats. So tasty! http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/recipe/shrimp-and-black-bean-quinoa-protein-bowl-recipe/
    Highly recommend checkin' it out!
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the good job so far. I also agree that in looking over the past week I can see those toddlers running you ragged! I know when you have little kids you end up eating what they like. I totally get that. Took me until my daughter was 13 to realize I had to stop that. This is also a great time to introduce them to some healthier choices. I agree with the last poster that moving to more fresh whole foods is a great idea. To be specific try to move away from anything with white flour. I know that some whole wheat breads are like eating tree bark but there are others that are amazingly flavorful. I would also try to get a higher nutritional bang for the buck when eating carbs. Tortillas are amazingly high in calories for the small bulk and little nutrition. I love Peperage farms thin wheat bread when I occasionally eat bread. Try eating more fruit and veggies and less meat and bread. Since you love to cook there are so many choices. Experiment.
    I would also suggest you double check the calorie counts on the choices from MFP. There are lots of acurate numbers but there are also some inaccuracies (sp?). Look over the last week and you will see that you have 2 entries for cuties that are very different. You also have some dramatic differences in turkey. The reason I mention this is that as you get closer to your goal weight the correct numbers make all the difference in the world.
    I would be starving with the small quantity you are eating and it makes me worry that its going to come back to bite you. If you don't consume enough calories your body will start to scream at you and its really easy to go for the kids cookies at those moments. If you are like most of us-this is for the long haul. You didn't get here quickly and its not going to go away quickly. Feed your body what it needs and then allow just a little of what it wants and it will all work out.
    As for chocolate... I try to stay away from full sugar anything except on the rare occasion. In the meantime I love the jello sugar free pudding cups. Just 60 calories plus a few more for 2 T of ready whip and I get my chocolate for under 100 calories.
    As for ideas: I love oatmeal (old fashioned-never instant) for breakfast but always with fruit. I try to eat about 3 different fruits every day. I use silk coconut milk instead of cows milk in my cereal. It is only 80 calories for 4 ounces and has a lot more calcium,
    Love humus with veggie strips (I like the red yellow and orange bell peppers or carrots with it.
    I make a pot of veggie soup on the weekend and then that is what I eat for lunch. 2 cups os only 80 calories and very satisfying. It is actually a WW recipe. add me as a friend and message me and I will send it to you. It is basically chicken broth, spinach, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic,zucchini, diced tomatoes and some tomato paste oregano and basil. I think one of the keys is planning ahead and having foods that you want to eat within reach. Salads are good but most FF dressings leave a lot to be desired. One thing that I have learned is that salsa is my friend. It helps salads have a little zing. One of the other sweet treats I like is sugar free popsicles. If you are around a Kroger-there brand is the best. They are like 20 calories per pop. Frozen grapes are also a wonderful thing. Frozen banana slices are great too.
    One more idea. Sugar free jelly-Yuck. Simply fruit-Yum.
  • wisnieski4
    Options
    Order the cooking light cookbook or subscribe to the magazine. The meals are delicious and nutritious! Sounds cheesy but you can check a lot of them out online www.cookinglight.com

The best thing you can do is eat when your hungry and stop when you start to feel full. Drink a glass of water and if you are hungry 15 minutes later eat again. Make sure you drink at least the 8 glasses of water a day and more with exercise. You do want to try and meet the recommended calories because you dont want your stomach to shrink which will lead to yo-yo dieting. And be happy change is supposed to be fun, keep up the good work!>
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i dont think you are doing that bad at all.. depends on one's preferences as to what they want to eat.. i did notice a lack of water intake though.. they say at least 8 glasses of water a day.. i steer more towards a gallon a day for myself .. water is so essential especially when you are dieting and working out ... if i were to make some changes in your diet i would try to make more fresh foods and less processed ..im at a different level now where it concerns condiments but i really try hard not to have mayo and ketchup ect .. i will use hot sauce though ..preferrably franks hot sauce .. maybe put some fresh fruit in the diet too ..i try to have at least one serving of fresh fruit a day
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi! Great job so far! I think you are eating far too much processed foods. I recommend more fresh veggies. Maybe hummus to dip them in or hummus with pita bread? Try to stay away from boxed, packaged foods. Too much sodium and it isn't a clean diet. If you like oatmeal, that is a great breakfast. Or fat free greek yogurt with fruit and/or granola. I love fresh bell peppers (yellow and orange mostly) and berries and grape tomatoes. Fresh fresh fresh! How about fish for dinner? And lots of salads with spinach and romaine and very light dressings. :)

This.
    I hear you say that you're eating lots of produce, but I'm only seeing 3ish servings a day where 6-10 would be better. I also hear you say that you don't do a lot of processed foods but there's frozen pizza, sugar added to oatmeal, etc. Not trying to call you out at all - promise! - but you asked what we thought :-)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else... you are doing great! I think someone else said it, but check out skinnytaste.com. There are a ton of yummy recipes and all of the nutritional info is supplied.

A dinner I like to make is a variation of dirty rice. I take a pound of browned 97% lean ground beef, a chopped onion, diced green bell pepper, a can of diced tomato (not drained) a cup of rinsed cooked black beans and cook it all together in a skillet until everything is warmed through. I eat it over either a small russet potato or brown rice. When I entered the recipe into the recipe tool on here it came out to 292 calories for the beef mixture per serving.

One of my favorite snacks is only 69 calories: 1/2 cup of sliced cucumber, 5 large baby carrots and a laughing cow cheese wedge.

Good luck and feel free to friend me. :happy:
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I tend to use most of my old recipes (which were very high in veggies to start with) but just make them with a healthier alternative, e.g I cut all the fat off all the meat I use, I don't cook with oil anymore, I use a lot of coconut cream in my cooking having a Samoan husband but I use evaporated milk coconut flavour instead, it has 97% less fat than real coconut milk and I only use half the can, which still is full of flavour, he still hasn't noticed (hehe). I use raw sugar instead of white and drink skim milk instead of full cream

With chocolate, dark chocolate works for some but for me, I find if I don't let myself have it I crave it more but now instead of having half a block, I will only have 2 squares and restrict myself that way.

hope this helps
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This.
    I hear you say that you're eating lots of produce, but I'm only seeing 3ish servings a day where 6-10 would be better. I also hear you say that you don't do a lot of processed foods but there's frozen pizza, sugar added to oatmeal, etc. Not trying to call you out at all - promise! - but you asked what we thought :-)
    [/quote]

ONE frozen pizza and that was dinner tonight, out of boredom, after dinner I posted this because I could not bring myself to eat anymore chicken tonight! LOL and Brown sugar to PLAIN old fashioned rolled oats, I don't think that is terrible. It's not boxed instant oatmeal, it's the original! I opened this up with the thought that someone was going to point that out, but just like anyone else's (and excuse me for sounding slightly defensive for a moment) I am sure you have some "cheats" out there too whether in your diary or not, otherwise you wouldn't be here. :flowerforyou:
  • alphabettie
    alphabettie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thank you! :)