Protein Bars?

Options
2»

Replies

• jwolfdh
    jwolfdh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    THINK THIN white chocolate protein bars or the chocolate brownie is ok too. no sugar! no, not ALL natural but only 230 calories and pretty filling.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Or you can MAKE your own bars. Here's the recipe for Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars!

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=570
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    I had a simlar topic to this one so I found this to be helpful as well. I am looking into adding these to my intake, I work 12 hours a day and get a half hour lunch, but can usually snack on something quick during the day... So I have a few to choose from now. I am looking into Cliff Bars as well, heard good things about them
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I do a variation of Ellie Krieger Energy Bars found on foodnetwork.com
  • hopingforhealthy
    Options
    http://well.ca/brand/the-simply-bar.html?gclid=CLnY5cbV560CFXOFQAodsDQ-3w

these are my favourite, they're canadian though.

all natural, gluten-free, vegan, 10 ingredients.

the fibre is higher than the sugars, 10 g of carbs in total - which you NEVER find in protein bars. At 150 calories, and 16 g of protein, there really is nothing like it on the market.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    THINK THIN white chocolate protein bars or the chocolate brownie is ok too. no sugar! no, not ALL natural but only 230 calories and pretty filling.

these are great but also very artificial... but i agree VERY yummy, and very filling! i eat them pretty regular - but i do feel guilty about it when i do :(
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What's "artificial" to you then? I've seen you mention it a couple times, but I'm having difficulty figuring it out. What are the artificial ingredients in these bars? Are they harmful?
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Rather eat 8oz of chicken for 50g of protein! Protein bars are a waste of $$$.
  • Jeunemari
    Options
    It depends on what you are looking for. Some of the protein bars have different ingredients in them depending on whether you are going to use them before or after a workout. For example, the pre-workout bar would have more protein to carbs while the post workout bar would have more carbs to protein. You best bet is to go for brands like Musashi or Aussie Bodies, they tend to have less sugar in them. It would pay to read the ingredient list to see where the sugar is placed. If it is in the first half of the ingredient list, I would give these ones a miss but they would be good for post workout protein and carb intake.

For you who wants them only for a snack, then you need to find one that has the sugar or carb content in the second half of the ingredient list. Also look out for the presence of trans fats, fructose, dextrose, glucose. If the bar has all or some of these then I would give them a miss; you would be having too much sugar and the wrong fats, you would be putting on weight instead of eating to work for you.

You know, the best thing would be to make your own. Then you can control the ingredients. Try this one:

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

* 6-8 scoops chocolate protein powder
    * 1 cup oatmeal
    * 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (with no oil, sugar or salt added)
    * 3 tbsp honey or Stevia as an alternative, try 2 teaspoons
    * 1/2 cup 1% milk, or skim milk
    * 3 tbsp crushed peanuts or other nuts of your choice

Directions:

1. Mix together the protein powder, oatmeal, peanut butter,
    honey and milk.

2. Form into 5 bars and then roll in the crushed peanuts to
    finish.

3. Place in the fridge for about 30 mins

Nutritional Facts (Per Bar - Makes 5 Bars):

Calories: 452
    Protein: 50g