Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the greater good.
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this- I was so discouraged this morning to be up a pound after meticulous eating/journaling and 6 consecutive days of alternating cardio/strength training. I know I've messed up my body from so many yo-yo diets and crash cures but I was hoping for better than what I saw when I have so much to lose. Today is my rest day so I will try again in the morning. Thanks!
  • jett0206
    Options
    I have frustrated myself many days looking at the scale and I am attempting as I start P90x to look at the scale once per week, but I am terrified because I have grown accustomed to watching it daily :tongue:
  • LucyLu24
    LucyLu24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I worked out 5x this week pretty hard, and gained 2 lbs. So frusrated with the whole process probably going to hide the scale in the other bathroom, I hate it anyway it is was to diffcult to control and work. A scale that can be programmed for 4 people just screams trouble.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    loooove. took me a long time to realize this.
  • amikad
    amikad Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. I weigh daily just because I like to see when there are fluctuations, I only let it bother me when it is my "weighin" day. The measuring tape hasnt been that nice to me...could be that I am measuring myself wrong...but I have noticed that on the days after I have done a lighter workout I weigh the least.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    After working out for 8 days in a row I was actually excited to get on the scale thinking I would have lost weight. Nope, gained a very discouraging pound. The scale is back in the closet and a pair of tight jeans are hanging where I can see them so I can try them on weekly and see the results of my efforts. Nothing measures progress as trying to fit into clothes that were too small and then to have them fit, that is a lot more encouraging!
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    After working out for 8 days in a row I was actually excited to get on the scale thinking I would have lost weight. Nope, gained a very discouraging pound. The scale is back in the closet and a pair of tight jeans are hanging where I can see them so I can try them on weekly and see the results of my efforts. Nothing measures progress as trying to fit into clothes that were too small and then to have them fit, that is a lot more encouraging!

Agreed. The scale can be a treacherous liar!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I much prefer a tape measure anyway. I wish there was a spot to track measurements!! I rarely ever weigh myself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I much prefer a tape measure anyway. I wish there was a spot to track measurements!! I rarely ever weigh myself.

There is... same place that you track your weight. :smile: You can add other measurements, too. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

I'm in total agreement that relying on the scale is a recipe for disappointment. Clothing and photos are my favorite tracking tools. I have a hard time seeing changes in the mirror, since it happens gradually. And I always second-guess my measurements. Did it really go down a fraction of an inch, or did I pull the tape tighter? Am I measuring in the same spot? Plus, my waist and hips stayed about the same, but my tummy between the two got flatter. With side by side photos, it's hard to ignore change. And it's hard to ignore when you have to put on a belt because your pants won't stay up.

For my own super-scientific, fool-proof results :wink:, according to the scale, I gained weight since I went on maintenance in October. But in October, I bought a pair of size 7 jeans. In December at about 5# more, I bought the same brand, same style jeans in a 5 because I had to pull up those 7s every time I stood up. And the 3s fit, but they flattened my bum a bit. Screw the scale! At this point, my goal is to weigh as much as I possibly can while staying about this size. I'd much rather be heavier than I look than look heavier than I am!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Really good info. I haven't seen anyone mention the body composition scales. They not only measure weight but body fat %, water %, bone mass, visceral fat, etc. There's nine different numbers. I just ordered one that will take separate measurements for each arm, leg, and your trunk too. Hopefully it will give me a better idea of what's going on with my body than just the one number for weight.
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I just started weight training and I did not know about weighing after a rest day. I admit I weigh daily...and it's been going up slightly. But, I have to keep reminding myself that it is normal. I do measure once a week also. As long as the inches keep coming off...I'm happy!
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Interesting thing about weighing after a rest day. I'll have to change my weigh in day to Tuesday morning as Monday is always a skip day at the gym.