• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    LOL. And an LG IF'er to boot. WOW!

It is a good read though :smile:
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    THANKS! Love it. I have just started lifting heavy and this has bumped my confidence. I shall be imagining here body when I am busting my nut in the weight room :love: :bigsmile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Holy booty. That thing is awesome.

It was a great read. Thanks for sharing. I'm a semi-recently converted cardio bunny. I've only been strength training for a year, and the change in visual results is just remarkable.

The bit about "pink weights and toning" really made me chuckle.
  • KTKTP
    KTKTP Posts: 22
    Options
    I like this a lot, but MFP doesn't show any calorie burn from lifting, so I guess I will keep doing cardio so I can eat more! I
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That girl kicks butt ! I like her !!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I like this a lot, but MFP doesn't show any calorie burn from lifting, so I guess I will keep doing cardio so I can eat more! I
    it does if you search under cardio for weight lifting :)
    the strength section is mostly just to keep track of weights/reps for your own records
  • KTKTP
    KTKTP Posts: 22
    Options
    the strength section is mostly just to keep track of weights/reps for your own records

Thanks! I should have tried that...
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Thanks! I should have tried that...

And just because you don't log it on a website doesn't mean you're body doesn't get the benefits.

Just like if you don't log that extra doughnut you ate on MFP, you're body still counts it :tongue:
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah, i'd pretty much kill for that butt. It ain't happening at 46 though...lol. But, I'm definently going to stick with my plan of lifting more weight.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "But the weight room intimidates me." - average person who has only done cardio (i.e. me a year ago)

"It's okay. I can help show you how to tone. Here take this bosu ball and 3 pound dumbbells and do some half-squats." - so many personal trainers

I'm glad I'm not a woman because they have so much misinformation directed at them by magazines, websites, and really a large portion of the fitness industry.
  • gingerbabyy
    gingerbabyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing about the ineffectiveness of cardio more and more recently. This is a little disappointing to me to be honest because I actually enjoy doing cardio.. which is why I'm going to continue to do it, maybe just not as much. Another thing is I'm soo skinny that it's embarrassing to be on the weight machines, specifically with upper body workouts. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and do it anyway until I get my strength up a little bit.
  • ashleylynnexo
    ashleylynnexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 pounds from cardio a couple of years ago, so I kind of don't agree with this article. I think pairing cardio and lifting/interval training is one of the best things. It's definitely not completely useless.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing about the ineffectiveness of cardio more and more recently. This is a little disappointing to me to be honest because I actually enjoy doing cardio.. which is why I'm going to continue to do it, maybe just not as much. Another thing is I'm soo skinny that it's embarrassing to be on the weight machines, specifically with upper body workouts. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and do it anyway until I get my strength up a little bit.

I'm big and weak. I was around this same weight (~300 pounds) when I first tried to Bench Press. I did 2 10 lb. plates for 8 reps, and it felt heavy. It was embarrassing and I wanted to put on more weight, but the thought of getting pinned by 85 pounds was even worse. Just do what you can, and don't let any insecurities discourage you. Heavy is relative to the person who is lifting.
  • gingerbabyy
    gingerbabyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very true, thank you. I think I'm going to stick with free weights for a little while and just add on weight until I gain some strength. Thanks for the positive encouragement.

One question about cardio... shouldn't it still be incorporated for cardiovascular health? Is weight lifting equally beneficial for your heart and respiratory system? Sorry if these have obvious answers, I'm new to all of this!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I lost about 40 pounds from cardio a couple of years ago, so I kind of don't agree with this article. I think pairing cardio and lifting/interval training is one of the best things. It's definitely not completely useless.

Definitely not useless. At the end of the day cals in vs out is what matters for weight loss. Resistance training should be done along the way (and adequate protein intake) to preserve lean body mass.

gingerbabby: haven't got the link handy but there was a study I read recently that showed that weight training is just as good for cardiovascular health as medium intensity steady state cardio.

Start light and get you're form checked by a pro. Everyone has to start somewhere. No one just walks in first day and squats 300lbs (unless they're freaks! :tongue:)

I do both so it doesn't worry me but this article is directed at those who are looking for that "toned" look who are ONLY doing cardio. It's not going to happen.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Very true, thank you. I think I'm going to stick with free weights for a little while and just add on weight until I gain some strength. Thanks for the positive encouragement.

One question about cardio... shouldn't it still be incorporated for cardiovascular health? Is weight lifting equally beneficial for your heart and respiratory system? Sorry if these have obvious answers, I'm new to all of this!

I think it's all about balance for overall health and doing things for the right reasons. I lift heavy weights (for me!) and I do cardio too, it makes my heart strong and my mind happy. But don't do hours of it because you are completely focused on how many calories you can burn. Do cardio you enjoy. Have goals and do cardio focused on meeting them :) cardiovascular fitness is surprisingly easy to maintain.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    cardiovascular fitness is surprisingly easy to maintain.

Agree with that. My cardio volume has dropped immensely in the last year because of injuries putting me out of mma. Doing my trail running last week & I made PB's on both mountains. Only cardio I do these days is walking, hill sprints, occasion HIIT circuits.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. That butt sure is slap-able, isn't it??? I started the year with a plan to run my (not so) little behind off training for a half marathon. I was planning 1 day a week of weight training. After coming here and reading--a LOT, I decided to change course and spend 8 weeks lifting heavy and doing HIIT. I, of course, am also counting calories. I am anxious to see my after pictures at 8 weeks. I want to prove to my friends(doubters) that you don't have to run 5 miles a day to look fantastic. I have SO many runner friends who keep asking "Why am I losing weight, but I'm still all flabby?" Well, I can now answer their question. I'll still train for the 1/2 (it isn't until Sept), but I'm going to incorporate heavy lifting and HIIT to make myself a much more well rounded athlete for the long term.
  • dayylight
    Options
    I'm a big fan of strength training because I've seen it in action. In high school I took weight training as my PE class senior year and dropped 30 pounds without even really knowing it. I spent 2 hours a day in the weight room and I was eating really well at that time. Unfortunately since then I put all that weight back on and more. However there are so many benefits to strength training, I think everyone should do it, especially women.

Oh, and the trainer at my cousin's gym told us women should try to incorporate more strength training into their routines but most men actually need to add a couple days of cardio.

Although personally, I fall into one of the exception categories anyway. I enjoy cardio. I like running. When I used to be in shape I would run three days a week for enjoyment, not to lose weight or anything like that. Now I just go for a balance of the two.