Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• Kellymac88
    Kellymac88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 3 day 2 of the couch to 5k program and I LOVE it. I have never... I mean never ever... been a runner. Also, I have always been a person that gets really wheezy when I run.
    ANYWAYS.. I started this program and it has been completely doable and very fun to feel my stamina build up. I have felt the successes as I have been going.
    Try it!!
    I highly recommend grabbing an iphone app for it. The one I have puts a little beep into my music when it's time to start jogging and time to start walking, so it takes all the work out of keeping track of the intervals.
    Love it! Do it! Let me know how it goes! :)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I recently completed C25K (again), and it's been a GREAT program for me. As a kid, I had awfully flat feet, asthma, and big-time ITB problems. I was told "you'll never be able to run well."

Turns out, I really enjoy running. Well, except for maybe running on the dreadmill at the gym or at hotels for business travel, but I do it anyhow. I'm entered in my first 5K this Saturday, in a location I know well, and I'm really excited to get out there and "be a runner" more than "be a big lumbering clydesdale". Well, OK. at 6'5", I'll probably always be a big lumbering clydesdale -- a big, lumbering, grinning clydesdale.

For those of you struggling with C25K, keep at it. I finally found out that once you get past the first ten minutes, which can be hard for anybody until you're good and warmed up, the miles and time fly by, and you're actually enjoying that run, and not just suffering through it. You'll get there. If I can do it, nearly anyone can.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Did you all get proper running trainers? I have flex trainers for the gym, do I need a different pair? x
  • Bsloop45
    Bsloop45 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how this helped with weight loss for you all. Was it a big help?
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Recently began the program, and after just 5 days I can already tell a difference in stamina! A really doable program (so far :-D). I've discovered a love for running that I didn't know I had. I am going to look for a good 5k to do this spring with my friend.
  • chelsea32291
    Options
    I just finished W2D1 a little while ago. I also bought the app for it. Definitely worth it. Hoping I'll actually stick with it! :) & Good luck to you!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I had mixed feeling about it at first but only because my supportive boyfriend wanted to come and I didn't want him to see me like that haha but he came and it actually helped. In all honesty, the hardest part was learning how to breathe properly, after I got that down pat it was good from there. I ended up getting pregant so I had to quit but I can't wait to start again...only 10 more weeks! Good luck and keep posted on how it's going :smile:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all this information. This is so motivational. I loved running, but have not done it in years. I am going to find out more about this and maybe give it a try.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K in September. Previously, I never ever ran. I used to joke that a bear would have to be chasing me, for anyone to see me run.
    I went from couch potato, to running 5k, at least 3x per week.

2 weeks ago, I started Bridge to 10k. I mildly sprained my ankle 9 days ago, so I was hobbled for a while. Got back to it tonight, and ran 7.3km in 44min. Slow going for now, but distance then speed!

If I can do this, pretty much anyone can! As a youth, I always had exercise induced asthma. Even now, occasionally running in colder weather, I'll get a small asthma flare up, but how I feel when I'm done my run... Nothing beats it! :-)
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k program in June. I ran my first 5k in September, and my first half marathon in October. I'm now training for a marathon for March 31st.

This program completely changed my life- and it works, but you have to work it and be dedicated.

***I was never a runner before the program. :)
  • asmithson19
    Options
    Hi

I completed it, and loved it, defiantly recommend you doing it!!!

xx

Me too!! Completely agree!!
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just finished day 1 of week 4 using the "ease into 5k" app. Finally feel like I'm going to make it! Each increment up I have been worried about. Thought I was dying at 60 sec and 90 sec. Completed two 4 min runs and a 6 min tonight. Amazed! Getting my breathing down to a comfortable pattern has been the most difficult thing for me. Finally starting random counting to take my mind off forcing a pattern and my body relaxed into a rhythm. weird but true.

I don't know how many times I have tried to do this.....but I am finally going to make it! Don't give up!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My fat lab and I graduated today. A part of our run was in snow, but I was not going to wait for a nice day. It is well worth it, I went from hating to run (that is what I have always said, most likely because I was out of shape and overweight) to really enjoying this. I will continue to run. I am going to run a 5K in May that I walked last year.
    Btw, my lab runs to the gate to go when he sees me in my running clothes.
  • Lothiam
    Lothiam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both did this last year and ran a 5k within 2.5 months of starting and then ran a 12k shortly thereafter. Had never ran before in my life.
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I plan to start this in the next couple of months, am currently doing exercises to build up strength in my feet! Am increasing my walking everyday especially uphill so hope that's a good preparation.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I did it and it worked. Today I ran 7.4 km in the rain non stop - well non-stop not counting the two times I had to stop to re-tie my shoe laces grr
  • shortly24
    Options
    It is so awesome to read so many success stories. Mine is similar in that I have never enjoyed running, and never really thought I could do it. But with our summer holiday approaching, I knew it would be hard to get to the gym, and I didn't want to gain weight or lose fitness despite this. So, I find myself having just completed Week 5, Day 3 (Yes, that day!) and doing fine - enjoying it, looking forward to it, and consistently doing more than I'm asked, which is so encouraging. Next step - speed!
  • jillydetox
    Options
    I am starting the couch to 5k program today I was wondering if anyone has done this program. Also, wanted to see if it really works before I start.
  • jillydetox
    Options
    Go 4 it!!!!!!, I started running a few years ago and i cant rate it enough...the health benifits are fantastic and its the perfect way to destress, nothing better than putting the i pod on and listening to ure fave tunes while you run. Its hard at first but you will soon start to enjoy it I caught the running bug and I hope you can too. Good Luck xx
  • olinka1981
    Options
    Hi,

today is my second day. I am looking forward to it (and that surprise me the most).
    Good luck!

O.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!